Ultra Lead Mods ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I is be sexy said:
well, mine's black stripe with tan resistors, but then again it seems like at least a couple parts in this thing don't match stock specs. Would switching to metal oxide improve it at all? Also, in general, would either metal film or metal oxide be an upgrade (and are the two metal resistor types interchangeable in these modules)?
Odd. Must be EARLY black stripe.

Metal oxide resistors will cut down on noise. You m ay notice like a 10% decrease in noise by switching to said resistors.

Yes and no. Metal Film is lower noise than MO, but isn't available in as high a wattage handling. I'd use 1/4w MF in the R7 of a high gainer, for example.

Plate resistor mod ? Tried searching for that with no luck. Hey Shinozoku , you said it's explained in the "sub menu" somewhere. I can't find that either. Could someone point me in the right direction please ? Thanks and hope everyone is having a great day. ?

I hope there are still some people watching this thread.

Anyway, the RM100 I bought came with an Ultra Lead module and I played with it but just didn't like the sound.

I then found the forum thread about using a patch lead in the parallel effects loop to bring that extra pre amp tube into play. I put the ultra lead back in, set the gain on about 3 o'clock on the module and the effects master and it was a very usable module.

Still wanting to get into modding a module I did my first mod (hold the applause :)) by putting a two way cap switch on C3 using a .001 and .0022 cap. Now the module is beginning to pump .. needs a fair bit of volume to really get the sound I want.

I want more gain but I find if I go past 3 o'clock on the gain and/or the effects master the gain isn't pleasing. Get's a bit fizzy and muddy almost. I am not that good at describing tones so I hope you know what I mean.

I tried the 1086/plexi gain mod, but I didn't get any increase in gain. There is no resistor in R7.

I am running EL34's in the RM100. I wonder if switching to 6L6 tubes will allow be to dime the gain and effects pots and not loose clarity in the tone.

Any ideas on what I can do from here. It would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, I am after a good crunchy high gain which will give me tight chugging, but keep the mid range. Sort of Early Pennywise or Anthrax (Among the living) era.

@newAgePunk
sorry for this asking this because it's off topic:

Where can I find the thread about using a patch lead in the effect loop? Did some research but didn't find anything...

Hey Dr.G

I can't find anything in a search for the FX loop either. I think it was probably hidden in another post somewhere.

Basically it involves putting a patch lead from the Par FX send to the Par FX return and then using the Effects dial on the front master section of the head to dial in the amount of signal you're sending through. What you are doing is bringing another pre amp tube (12AX7 in my case) into the equation.

There was a discussion on whether you were simply adding volume and that was being perceived as gain, and that you could get the same result by just turning up your pre amp volume. But like any of this stuff it comes down to what your ears like and I personally like to turn the effects level up to about 3 oclock on my high gain modules.

Try it out and see what you think.

If anyone finds that thread can you put a link to it here.

cheers

Here's the thread about using a patch cord in the effects loop of an RM4. It probably applies to the effects loop of Randall power amps also.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14459