UPDATED!!! NEW AMP My (new) RM20 just died!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfan

Reaction score
So, I bought this amp NEW about 2 months ago. Took it home from the store and placed it lovingly in my bedroom office where it has happily lived being played about an hour and a half 5 nights a week at "bedroom" volumes.

Tuesday night, I played for about 30 minutes, and the amp made a crackling sound and then the volume just faded away...and the led lights all went out. NO SOUND. So, first thing I think is a fuse. I pull the fuse, cannot see any filament (bad eyes) and put it back in...turn the power switch, she lights up and voila!!!...I've got sound again. The amp plays for about 30 seconds...POPS softly, then again...no sound. I change modules from the JTM to my BLACKFACE. Same issues. I change again to my CLEAN module...sames issues.

So, I dropped it off yesterday at the store where I bought it. They just called me today and told me the problem is not something that they can isolate, so they need to send it to a local "amp guy". So, I guess at least I wasn't being stupid and it wasn't just a fuse....

So, I'm wondering if others here have any idea what might be wrong with my RM20? I really like the sound, but I am concerned that I may have purchased an amp that is going to be unreliable in the long run....I mean...geez...the thing could not have been pampered any more than I have pampered it. I hate to think of how long it might take to break down if I actually had to "gig" with it.

Should re-think having a Randall? I hate to think that I might invest $500 or $600 in modules for an amp that won't even hold up sitting in a BEDROOM.

Anyone know what it might be that is wrong?

Symptoms sound a lot like a bad tube on the chassis of the amp itself. That wouldn't be Randal issue though, as any tube can go unexpectedly. From a guy with many solid years gigging several MTS amps, you have little to worry about.

I would get your amp back, pick up a spare pair of EL84's and a trio if 12AX7's (all good to have around anyway) and try replacing your tubes. Do the 12AX7's one at a time first and see if that fixes it. If not, move on to the EL84's (be sure to bias it correctly, around 18 mV). If you find the bad tube, toss it and keep the rest for backups.

Make sure it's all covered under warranty. You do have a warranty right? Randall will make good by you. I really wouldn't worry.

Yep...I bought it new from an authorized Randall dealer so I should have a RANDALL warranty, even if the dealer would happen to flake out on me (which I have no reason to believe they will)....so I am assuming that everything will work out.

Jaded Faith said:
Symptoms sound a lot like a bad tube on the chassis of the amp itself. That wouldn't be Randal issue though, as any tube can go unexpectedly. From a guy with many solid years gigging several MTS amps, you have little to worry about.

I would get your amp back, pick up a spare pair of EL84's and a trio if 12AX7's (all good to have around anyway) and try replacing your tubes. Do the 12AX7's one at a time first and see if that fixes it. If not, move on to the EL84's (be sure to bias it correctly, around 18 mV). If you find the bad tube, toss it and keep the rest for backups.

Thanks for the tip...if for some reason the dealer won't repair it (..and I believe they will take care of this) then I will try the tube change....I've been thinking about trying some different tube combinations, anyway, after all the stuff I've been reading here at the forum about "tweaking my sound"!

I went round and round about sound exploration. I went metal. I went here, there, everywhere.... only to find I have four basic tones I use unless I'm just messin around:

Fender w/ reverb
Fender w/ tubescreamer
Marshall w/ treble boost
Mesa w/ tubescreamer

I'm gonna have to wait a little longer for that "Humble Overdrive Special" that I want Pete to make. Then I'll probably eliminate the Mesa.

Tube changes are very very subtle. They won't change the character of the amp. Get to know the amp first. Then start messing around.

You're also still under the "NEW AMP" tube warranty. Did you know that? That lasts 90 days. So basically what I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to pay for ANYTHING on it right now. This is an excellent amp BTW.

All the lights going out on it doesn't sound like a tube issue though. And if the work is going to be extensive, I'd ask for a replacement amp.

Julia said:
All the lights going out on it doesn't sound like a tube issue though. And if the work is going to be extensive, I'd ask for a replacement amp.
I totally missed that issue before my original post. Back to Julia's advice and another cup of Joe.... :lol:

So...the bad news is I've left the MTS family.

...the Good news is that it was entirely MY choice 'cause I got a new NBKING112.

That being said, I really did love my RM-20 while I had it!.

My local Randall dealer treated my like GOLD through this. They could not have been better to deal with and really went the extra mile to take care of me and make sure I was happy.