Volume Pedal on the Effects Loop?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anomaly

Reaction score
Anyone tried a Volume pedal (effects loop attenuator) as a Master Volume?
It does shorten life of the power tubes right? Especially if you crank the amp's master volume :lol:

Are they safe to use & won't damage the amp in the long run?

I think the effect of which is that of what I call 'starving the outputs', in order to make them sound softer, a bit like increasing the bias level, really. What ever makes your amp sound great: do it. The outputs are going to wear regardless with the amp turned on full, and is part of making the amp sound its best, as far as I'm concerned.

Anomaly said:
Anyone tried a Volume pedal (effects loop attenuator) as a Master Volume?

Yes you can insert a volume pedal into the effects loop. Ernie Ball makes some great volume pedals.

Anomaly said:
It does shorten life of the power tubes right? Especially if you crank the amp's master volume :lol:

The volume pedal itself does not shorten tube life.

Anomaly said:
Are they safe to use & won't damage the amp in the long run?

You are perfectly safe, volume pedals lower the volume or return it to normal, IE: they cannot increase the volume of the amp, hence it is safe to use.

Hope it helps;
Trace

VitaminG said:
been doing it for years. A Morley Little Alligator in the loop, heel down set at rhythm volume. Gives you a variable lead boost!
LOL I used a Little Alligator in the loop the exact same way for a long time! Great setup.

Now I'm just lazy and like a footswitch instant lead boost :oops:

gag halfrunt said:
Now I'm just lazy and like a footswitch instant lead boost :oops:

Ditto. I use the GSP1101s patch level controlled by the control switch to go from rhythm to lead.

My RM50 combo has an input for a volume pedal, separate from the loop.
I guess the volume pedal would only work in the serial loop?

that's correct. If you put it in a parallel loop, it will only reduce the volume of the loop. The direct signal will be unaffected. That's ideal for reverb & delay, ambient effects. Not so good for modulation, chorus, tremolo, EQ, volume pedals, etc.

I used to use a volume pedal (BOSS GT-10) in the FX loop of my EVH 5150 III all the time. I could have the amp's volume and gain maxed and have the pedal barley turned on and play the amp at night without waking anyone else in the house.

Volume pedal's are great for non-master volume amps that have an FX loop.