Wanna scale down my live rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt,
here is the G system that I was talking about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=459968&Q=&is=REG&A=details

That seems to be a pretty good price,too.
But then again, the more straight forward NovaSystem (also by Tc) might be better for a grab and go situation.

The thing that got my about the Boos GT 6,GT8..(and I assume the 10) is the A/D conversion always seem to shink the size of my guitar and loose some dynamics. I did A/B them back when they came out. If you bypass the unit all together you may notice this..I did.
But to Boss's credit the operating systems are generally very,very good. But ,like a Fake-Plexi....there is a time and place for everything..and its not up to me, to tell you what will make you happy
But imho, the Tc's are worth looking at. And fwiw, I have used the Boss stuff on recordings, and it has sounded just fine.
GtrGeorge

The M13 works perfect for the RM100 for a 3 channel switch. I use mine with the 4CM. The M13 isnt a fully programmable midi switcher though. You just set up the first 3 patches for your modules and you are good to go. It will switch between the 3 channels on the Rm then. I have a phaser, flanger, chorus, 3 overdrives, harmony, whammy, noise gate, reverb, and 2 delays all available. The L6 screamer is still my favorite boost and I own about 15-20 different overdrives and just keep it on always.

the A/D conversion always seem to shink the size of my guitar and loose some dynamics.
This is what always scares me about the 4cm- the tone is going right into a processor before hitting the amp. My last 10 years I use a phaser, wah, and OD up front but no delays or verb due to the hassles of the extra cabling, potential mud, etc. I'll let Matt figure it out than I'll jump in, lol

crankyrayhanky said:
the A/D conversion always seem to shink the size of my guitar and loose some dynamics.
This is what always scares me about the 4cm- the tone is going right into a processor before hitting the amp. My last 10 years I use a phaser, wah, and OD up front but no delays or verb due to the hassles of the extra cabling, potential mud, etc. I'll let Matt figure it out than I'll jump in, lol

the technology is much better now- Boss, TC Electronics have excellent quality A/D converters. The rack multi effects do the same thing and do it very well too. I can tell you after also having a floor of good quality pedals running through a gang of patch cables, my signal is cleaner now than it was. I tried the rack stuff way back when too. I like this the best for live applications and its as easy/quick as you can get with just one board/pedal in front of me. FWIW, I saw a youtube vid with Nuno running a GT 8 this way live...the GT10 is definitely a notch above.

GtrGeorge! said:
Matt,
here is the G system that I was talking about.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=459968&Q=&is=REG&A=details

That seems to be a pretty good price,too.
But then again, the more straight forward NovaSystem (also by Tc) might be better for a grab and go situation.

The thing that got my about the Boos GT 6,GT8..(and I assume the 10) is the A/D conversion always seem to shink the size of my guitar and loose some dynamics. I did A/B them back when they came out. If you bypass the unit all together you may notice this..I did.
But to Boss's credit the operating systems are generally very,very good. But ,like a Fake-Plexi....there is a time and place for everything..and its not up to me, to tell you what will make you happy
But imho, the Tc's are worth looking at. And fwiw, I have used the Boss stuff on recordings, and it has sounded just fine.
GtrGeorge

George- This is an outstanding option (probably the best out there for this) but costs three times more than the Boss. I got my GT10 for 300 bucks.

having had everything mentioned here so far, I say for Fig the ultimate option is the TC G-system, doesn't muck your tone, (the Boss stuff does, good D/A but crap buffers), is expandable, and can be simple stupid to use, especially with MTS stuff. I love my M13 especially after being modded, but is a better studio/stomper solution for endless soundscapes and fun. but for meat and potato effects that Fig is looking for, the G-system hands down.

Mikal69 said:
having had everything mentioned here so far, I say for Fig the ultimate option is the TC G-system, doesn't muck your tone, (the Boss stuff does, good D/A but crap buffers), is expandable, and can be simple stupid to use, especially with MTS stuff. I love my M13 especially after being modded, but is a better studio/stomper solution for endless soundscapes and fun. but for meat and potato effects that Fig is looking for, the G-system hands down.

The Gsystem is the best, if you want to spend at least 800 bucks (used). The GT10's buffers are way better than previous. I can honestly say if you set up the 4CM right, you cannot tell the difference. I had more tone suck from all the pedals.

I will try to hear a Boss GT-10....seems it has impressed alot of people.
Gtrgeorge

I use the G-system and love it!
It's the most transparent multi-effects unit out there, unless of you drop 3 grand for an Eventide unit.

^^^
+1

For live use, the G-System is hard to beat as an all-in-one solution. One of the most rugged footswitches ever made (no exaggeration - I really think it could withstand a bus running over it!); and the preamp loop and 4 pedal loops are good enough for most guitar rigs, which alleviates the need for a GCX or other switcher . . . not to mention the world-class effects! 8)

HughJasol said:
^^^
+1

For live use, the G-System is hard to beat as an all-in-one solution. One of the most rugged footswitches ever made (no exaggeration - I really think it could withstand a bus running over it!) 8)
It's funny that you mention a bus running over it. :lol:
How about a 57 ton, Kampfpanzer Leopard 2 military tank?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofyxRyxajs
Now that is some toughness... :wink:

Thats exactly the problem...
anything that sounds good AND is rugged is a grand!!!

And truthfully, steel boxes and carling switches don't cost that much.

Hello.anybody out there want to build a box with 3 good fx in it, a simple loop, in a steel box for 350???

If you did, you'd own the market.
I'm thinking a clean boost, chorus and delay. Wanna get fancy ? offer Reverb, as well.
The Korg 411fx offered this ('cept a loop) in1996 and was about 100 bucks....are we all saying that the technology now costs more???
WTF????????????????????????????????????
GtrGeorge

Daryl said:
HughJasol said:
^^^
+1

For live use, the G-System is hard to beat as an all-in-one solution. One of the most rugged footswitches ever made (no exaggeration - I really think it could withstand a bus running over it!) 8)
It's funny that you mention a bus running over it. :lol:
How about a 57 ton, Kampfpanzer Leopard 2 military tank?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofyxRyxajs
Now that is some toughness... :wink:
:shock: Wow! I didn't realize at first that the GFX01 was mounted under the footcontroller. I can't believe it still worked after the tank hit it the first time . . . OK yes, it squashed the footcontroller pretty good (hey - it was 57 tons!); but I'm convinced even more now that the G-System would hold up to a Greyhound bus without being squashed in the slightest.

I've had the same opinion, see the "off topic" discussions or something.
Actually I'm halfway into designing a rack unit (interface only).

Just compare the state of effects units with smartphones, modern PCs etc!! Their interface, interaction, processing power and flexibility are HORRIBLE!!

The Line6 Pod HD's are getting close in interface (look at a video, those rotary encoders are well used). But then the processing power absolutely sucks. Ok so the Axe-FX then, well, just look at the front.. seriously! That is a 1980's design!

Where are the touchscreens where you can rearrange your effects by sliding them?
Where are the graphics we have in all other devices that cost way less?!
(compare a $200 smartphone with that $2500 piece of guitar hardware and you see what I mean)

You'd think it's a matter of innovations trickling down, but no, we're basivcally seeing variations of the same interface (led-screens, now slowly turning into actual "graphics" if you can call it that, with selector knobs or buttons) for 20+ years!!

/rant

Design a proper unit, price it well (let's be honest, the pricing of an Axe-FX is ridiculous, as is most guitar "pro" gear) and you will rule the market definitly!!
Problem is that the consumers are blind (a $200 multieffect must be a toy.. so cheap), there's no competition (if your competitor is pricing at $500 why go $200? Any sane businessman goes for $430), and lastly the consumers are blind ;) (any innovation is "a gimmick", see Digitechs iPad board, at least they're doing something fresh!!)

crankyrayhanky said:
I'll go for the $200 mojo touchscreen unit 8)
Hehe, a bit of a low estimate there. But really, for $600 you can have a unit with all the toughness and quality of a GSP / POD and with the interface smartness of an Android/iPhone phone (but much simpler). Easily.

crankyrayhanky said:
Genuis! I look forward to the progress on this...
It would be a dream to have this vision put into reality, but we'll see.

Honestly I don't really have any ambition to be "the inventor" of this. It only takes one of these huge companies to catch on and it'll all start rolling. :D

Edit, a little example:
http://www.positivegrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/JamUpLite.jpg
Why we don't have this on proper effects units is beyond me.