Wanna scale down my live rig

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rqhuiem,
at 400 or so dollars and 15 years more current I would EXPECT theM13 to be good, REALLY good. But I have tried it and it seems to have a minor amount of tone suck...its tiny but that drives me crazy. Cmon its 2012 we should expect better.
The Korg 411Fx was made in like 1996 and is more transparent! Its also smaller,lighter and argueably built to endure more.
But it has a bare bones interface, and for 50 bucks (used) I would expect that.
But my point is...its 2012 and we should really have some better options.
I see I am not the only one dissapointed at the field.
I tested the Tc Nova system yesterday..at Sam Ash it was approx 500..and it is good in some ways,but requires additional gear to be fully functional..and you would probably want to bring a better overdrive pedal with you to a gig (so..wait a minute, after 500 spent would I have a good,quick ,simple solution for my gigs?? answer is : NO.
I can do the same thing for 50 bucks and 20 year old technology.
Would someone build me the pedal I need??????
Just sayin.
GtrGeorge

A friend of mine makes some built in effects / loops magic in a steel box...
Watch his custom shop:

http://www.n-audio.net/

P.S. That's not a spam, troll or something. Just another point of view...

Regards!

Petrucci said:
A friend of mine makes some built in effects / loops magic in a steel box...
Watch his custom shop:

http://www.n-audio.net/

P.S. That's not a spam, troll or something. Just another point of view...

Regards!
Very good stuff! Looks well thought out and designed.
Only no midi support is a let down for me. (I like an integrated solution, but just as a "magic pedalboard" that thing rocks!)

Do you know the G-Lab stuff? They have very good gear too, loops and midi and amp control.

m0jo said:
Only no midi support is a let down for me.

MIDI isn't a problem in his custom work. :)

m0jo said:
Do you know the G-Lab stuff? They have very good gear too, loops and midi and amp control.

Excellent stuff, especially GSC-5...but a bit pricey.

Petrucci said:
m0jo said:
Only no midi support is a let down for me.

MIDI isn't a problem in his custom work. :)

m0jo said:

Excellent stuff, especially GSC-5...but a bit pricey.
Yeah I know, I'm a bit 80s. :lol:

Yeah, the GSC5 is definitly pricey, but the 2 (or 3) is already pretty expansive.

Well, for anyone who cares, I went with the BOSS GT-10 and could not be happier....rblyn gave me a great start and awesome tips but it still took me several hours to realize how to properly use it...Many simple mistakes can make this thing sound like *****...But, once you are using it properly - and that is down to organizing your signal chain - it just kills....I don't hear ANY signal degredation...The FX (I use reverb and delay in the loop and a boost in front) are as good as any I've heard...They are actually considerably better than I hoped...
Bottom line, I got it used for 300 bucks and sold off a rack of more expensive gear and my amp sounds just as good...
The only downside is the Noise Reduction but that's only 'cause I'm used to ISP G Rediction and it doesn't get better than that....Having said that, the Noise Suppressors in the BOSS are more than fine for live usage...I wouldn't use them recording but at home or the studio I can patch in the ISP GRack...

Well THAT's an endorsement I will take seriously.

GtrGeorge
especially after my dissapointment with the Tc unit.

GtrGeorge! said:
Well THAT's an endorsement I will take seriously.

GtrGeorge
especially after my dissapointment with the Tc unit.

When it boiled down to reality, I opted to go economy first...Watched prices and found a used one at guitar center's website for 299.99..If you check one out, only know that you can make it sound a lot better....There's a learning curve and during that period of time the GT-10 will sound cheap and crappy...Just the truth....
But then, all of a sudden, a couple "a-ha's" can make it amazing...But it is that sensitive...Lots of user controls and the base effects are great. I use the 4th pedal to activate an additional clean tone but other than that I don't use the preamps nor have I spent any time with them...They are as you would expect on first impression- not the best or worst...

8.5/10 overall ...

Really anything can be used to get "good" or at least "decent and usable" tones .. if you spend the time to work on it and get the stuff tweaked out right.

mojo,
with respect I have to add that there really are some circuits that suck the life out of your signal..and its hard to overcome it. The early A/D converters really messed up many a signal..of course, some people like that!
But when I wanted it to go away..it wouldn't..so long as there A/D conversion is non-musical sounding..then anything that passes thru will get..screwed. Just sayin...
GtrGeorge

...and it sounds like they really got the A/D right on the GT10 (finally!!!!).
Cool stuff..I gotta hear one.

Sure, that's why I said "good" or at least "decent and usable".
Personally I've never liked the Boss multi's in terms of sound.. but maybe I should check this out.

If they'd release a new rack unit I'd definitly be all over it!

Behold....
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1187&ParentId=248
gt-100_top_gal.jpg

Mattfig said:
Well, for anyone who cares, I went with the BOSS GT-10 and could not be happier....rblyn gave me a great start and awesome tips but it still took me several hours to realize how to properly use it...Many simple mistakes can make this thing sound like *****...But, once you are using it properly - and that is down to organizing your signal chain - it just kills....I don't hear ANY signal degredation...The FX (I use reverb and delay in the loop and a boost in front) are as good as any I've heard...They are actually considerably better than I hoped...
Bottom line, I got it used for 300 bucks and sold off a rack of more expensive gear and my amp sounds just as good...
The only downside is the Noise Reduction but that's only 'cause I'm used to ISP G Rediction and it doesn't get better than that....Having said that, the Noise Suppressors in the BOSS are more than fine for live usage...I wouldn't use them recording but at home or the studio I can patch in the ISP GRack...

Glad I could help out Matt :D and there's so much in this pedal...I keep finding things just scrolling though. Agree with everything you said, they definitely improved the A/D converter. I only use the "clean" preamps...no need to use the Soldano/Mesa/Marshall etc, my modules do that very well. I have had a lot of top notch gear over the years- This is a killer tool for gigging guitarists.

Daryl- I heard the GT100 was coming!! I am going to have to check one out at the GC 8)

Matt or anybody
does the Boss GT10 have delay/reverb spillover??????????????

GtrGeorge

Hmmmm....I am not sure believe it or not....I will check when I get home today...I use FX so sparingly that I don't even notice if the effects spill over during channel switching or not...My thought on it is that it totally should but I don't think it does...I don't use it for recording and really use the GT-10 for an OD boost, EQ, and channel switching...The verb and delay are VERY subtle in my setup..

I will post back here this evening with a definitive answer...

Im thinking my rm22 with a GT10 should cut most gigs very well...and maybe give me a quick,toneful set-up.

GtrGeorge