What FX are you using.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I'd look at a rack unit. The Lexicon MX300 is only a little more than the Boss DD20 and you can program it from your PC. and it's got studio quality delays and reverbs.

VitaminG said:
you don't have to buy a line level device - there are pedals on the market that will work with a line level loop. The DD-20 was recommended earlier. I'm using the Boss CE-20 for chorus. I believe the Digitech Hardwire series will all work in the loop and I've been wanting to pick up a DL-8 for quite a while.
Well actually those ones are line-level devices... but they can run at both line and instrument -level.

People mistake "line-level" with "pedal" .. there are plenty of pedals that can run at line-level.

Boss twin-pedals
Hardwire
TC Electronic nova line
Eventide

There are plenty more!

m0jo said:
VitaminG said:
you don't have to buy a line level device - there are pedals on the market that will work with a line level loop. The DD-20 was recommended earlier. I'm using the Boss CE-20 for chorus. I believe the Digitech Hardwire series will all work in the loop and I've been wanting to pick up a DL-8 for quite a while.
Well actually those ones are line-level devices... but they can run at both line and instrument -level.

People mistake "line-level" with "pedal" .. there are plenty of pedals that can run at line-level.

Boss twin-pedals
Hardwire
TC Electronic nova line
Eventide

There are plenty more!

sorry, my mistake. :) Yes, many pedals can run at line level (which is why I suggested a couple).

It wasn't clear in my last post, but I was referring to using the oft suggested Ebtech or ProDI (or what have you) to make instrument level pedals usable in a line level loop. That's great if you want to work with pedals that you already own. But if the OP is looking to buy new pedals anyway, why not get ones that will work in the loop, rather than pedals that won't, which then require an additional device so that they will?

VitaminG said:
m0jo said:
VitaminG said:

Boss twin-pedals
Hardwire
TC Electronic nova line
Eventide

There are plenty more!

sorry, my mistake. :) Yes, many pedals can run at line level (which is why I suggested a couple).

It wasn't clear in my last post, but I was referring to using the oft suggested Ebtech or ProDI (or what have you) to make instrument level pedals usable in a line level loop. That's great if you want to work with pedals that you already own. But if the OP is looking to buy new pedals anyway, why not get ones that will work in the loop, rather than pedals that won't, which then require an additional device so that they will?
Yes ... which is why I suggested only line-level pedals... :?
I think we had a little communication breakdown here ;)

I own a bunch of pedals and some rack gear, probably just like all you guys. I use a G Major2 now and it covers pretty much everything I need without a hundred pedals on the floor. I'm trying to make things as simple as possible without losing too much versatility or quality. G Major2 makes me very happy right now.
lg_gmajor2_3.jpg

Daryl said:
I own a bunch of pedals and some rack gear, probably just like all you guys. I use a G Major2 now and it covers pretty much everything I need without a hundred pedals on the floor. I'm trying to make things as simple as possible without losing too much versatility or quality. G Major2 makes me very happy right now.
lg_gmajor2_3.jpg
Awesome! I'm hoping to someday add a G-Major to my rig someday.
It has some great stuff that the GSP doesn't do, I also love the design and working of it.
Sadly it doesn't do the pre-preamp effects, something I need atm.

BTW, how does the G-Major handle the output level of the Randall?
On the TwinFace I can clip the GSP pretty easily with high output pickups..

m0jo said:
It has some great stuff that the GSP doesn't do, I also love the design and working of it.

It works very well with my RM100 in the loop. It has input level control to keep the DSP's from clipping internally. I still use a compressor, OD, and wah in front of the amp. It's hard to get the same effect out of using those in the loop. What are you using in front of your rig?

Daryl said:
m0jo said:

It works very well with my RM100 in the loop. It has input level control to keep the DSP's from clipping internally. I still use a compressor, OD, and wah in front of the amp. It's hard to get the same effect out of using those in the loop. What are you using in front of your rig?
Okay then, awesome.

The GSP! It has a preamp loop, in which you can run your preamp.
So your guitar plugs into the GSP, the GSP does wah/overdrive/comp/fx, then it runs either through the modelled preamp of the GSP or the external preamp in the loop (in my case my RM4). Then it goes back into the GSP, which then does comp/fx/reverb/delay and out to the poweramp (and/or PA through the XLR outs with speaker modelling).

It's pretty rad, I now run just a rack, entire chain of 14 pedals is redundant ;)
I run beta software from mustbebeta.com, which means I have more and better effects, and I can load impulse responses into the speaker sims, so I can get awesome PA tone!
Before I got it I was very hesitant about the pre-preamp effects, I've always been an analog guy.
But these models just work awesomely, they feel very responsive and sound great.

The same can't be said for the amp models, the Salvation Mods ***** all over them .. but that was to be expected wasn't it? :lol:
(actually, I'd have been worried if the models sounded anywhere near as good as the modules.. which they don't)

Anybody like Electro Harmonix. I use to use a Tube Zipper and a Russian made Small Stone Phase shifter. I liked the tones, but the build quality was kind of crappy.

Mattfig said:
I use a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal, an ISP Decimator G-String pedal, a TS800 pedal and Lexicon MX200 in the rack for delay and reverb....I run the Lexi inline and it works perfectly....:)

What does the BBE do for your tone. I thought about getting one, but there is such conflicting information out there.

I'm using the Rocktron Xpression. Good sounding unit. Until recently I ran it inline from the post outs. Now it is in the parallel loop. I think I am going to like this better. Still need to tweak it. I like the unit but it is missing some features that would be cool... Tuner & a loop to be able to run time based effects in parallel loop & others in series loop.

By the way should I have the level on it set at -10 or +4 in the parallel loop?

Daryl said:
Anybody like Electro Harmonix. I use to use a Tube Zipper and a Russian made Small Stone Phase shifter. I liked the tones, but the build quality was kind of crappy.
Yes!! Love them!

I have a Big Muff (USA), a 70's / 80's black russian Big Muff, a Doctor-Q, Riddle: Q-Balls and a self built Muff with voltage control!

I never really went for the modulation effect by EHX, they sound very cool, but I've never found them really usable in my music.

The build quality ... well they weren't really badly built, actually quite well.
But the thin folded metal box is not exactly the strongest form.
The modern alu boxes are as tough as anything :)

Yeah!!!
The Q-Balls is awesome. I knew a bass player that used one of those and he was able to get some sick tones. I used a Tube Zipper for a while and it was a crazy envelope filter sort of thing and I got some really nice tones with that and a Holy Grail reverb.
I guess the build quality is pretty good. Almost every EH pedal I had had the tendency to randomly lose screws and weak solder joints at the jacks. I have a Small Clone that is in the aluminum box and that thing is built like a tank. It adds a little noise, but sounds nice. Sometimes I miss my pedals. They have a mojo, no pun intended, that is hard to replicate with rack gear.
Have you tried any of the Creation Audio Labs stuff. I want a MK4.23 to boost my signal going into my MTS gear. Sometimes I wish I had just a little more push to the preamp. I think it would be more open and faithful to the tone of my guitar and not chop off frequencies like a Tube Screamer would. It is really nice stuff. Michael Wagener uses it and we know that he knows his ****.
http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/

Daryl said:
Mattfig said:
I use a BBE Sonic Maximizer pedal, an ISP Decimator G-String pedal, a TS800 pedal and Lexicon MX200 in the rack for delay and reverb....I run the Lexi inline and it works perfectly....:)

What does the BBE do for your tone. I thought about getting one, but there is such conflicting information out there.

If used in small increments, I find it's a nice boost if nothing else...I leave mine on all the time...It makes your tone shimmery...I don't have any idea wtf "shimmery" means but that's what it does...

Mattfig said:
Daryl said:
Mattfig said:

If used in small increments, I find it's a nice boost if nothing else...I leave mine on all the time...It makes your tone shimmery...I don't have any idea wtf "shimmery" means but that's what it does...
What does the chain look like. Do you use the BBE first or does it go in the loop?

Daryl said:
Yeah!!!
The Q-Balls is awesome. I knew a bass player that used one of those and he was able to get some sick tones. I used a Tube Zipper for a while and it was a crazy envelope filter sort of thing and I got some really nice tones with that and a Holy Grail reverb.
I guess the build quality is pretty good. Almost every EH pedal I had had the tendency to randomly lose screws and weak solder joints at the jacks. I have a Small Clone that is in the aluminum box and that thing is built like a tank. It adds a little noise, but sounds nice. Sometimes I miss my pedals. They have a mojo, no pun intended, that is hard to replicate with rack gear.
Have you tried any of the Creation Audio Labs stuff. I want a MK4.23 to boost my signal going into my MTS gear. Sometimes I wish I had just a little more push to the preamp. I think it would be more open and faithful to the tone of my guitar and not chop off frequencies like a Tube Screamer would. It is really nice stuff. Michael Wagener uses it and we know that he knows his s*&t.
http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/
Oh man, that Riddle is insane, I've gotten so many tones out of it, it's unbelievable!
And every time I play with it I find another awesome sound! :D
It's awesome for recording stuff.

I've never had those problems, maybe I'm lucky ;)
But I'm also very careful with my gear, maybe overly so. Never had a piece of gear break down on me yet.
.. except for stuff I've fidgeted with haha, can't count the number of times I was all ready to rock out on my self built muff, stomped ... *silence* :lol:

I actually didn't know about those pedals, I knew the company by name.
But wow they look a lot like Rodenberg's! :shock: Or maybe Rodenberg pedals look like Creation Audio's..

Boosting the MTS line really opens another dimension. I use my SD-1 and self built Super Hard On a lot for this :)
You shouldn't be afraid of chopping up frequencies! Try some other OD's like the SD-1, MXR ZW OD, Sparkle Drive, Way Huge Pork Loin.

Throwing the SD-1 on with the volume up, gain down brings out harmonics like you wouldn't believe! Especially on the XTC.

Daryl said:
Mattfig said:
Daryl said:
Mattfig said:

What does the chain look like. Do you use the BBE first or does it go in the loop?

Strangely enough...I run it inline...Thru a GCX buffered loop, but still inline....Right near the end of the chain just before FX and Decimator...

m0jo said:
Boosting the MTS line really opens another dimension. I use my SD-1 and self built Super Hard On a lot for this :)
You shouldn't be afraid of chopping up frequencies! Try some other OD's like the SD-1, MXR ZW OD, Sparkle Drive, Way Huge Pork Loin.

Throwing the SD-1 on with the volume up, gain down brings out harmonics like you wouldn't believe! Especially on the XTC.
I've used a Toadworks Texas Flood and a Tech 21 XXL pedal with good results. I just like the idea of trying something with a less coloration. If you haven't tried the Tech 21 XXL you absolutely have to try it. You can get the Tubescreamer sound and a whole lot more. It has a "warp" control on it that affects the the structure and balance of odd and even harmonics. It sounds wicked in front of a Blackface. It is very dynamic and reacts well to touch and pick attack. My favorite of all time.

Daryl said:
m0jo said:
Daryl said:

I've used a Toadworks Texas Flood and a Tech 21 XXL pedal with good results. I just like the idea of trying something with a less coloration. If you haven't tried the Tech 21 XXL you absolutely have to try it. You can get the Tubescreamer sound and a whole lot more. It has a "warp" control on it that affects the the structure and balance of odd and even harmonics. It sounds wicked in front of a Blackface. It is very dynamic and reacts well to touch and pick attack. My favorite of all time.
Sounds cool, I'll try that out when I see one!
So you're still looking within the overdrive realm or more towards clean boost?

I must say I haven't had much experience with clean boosts besides my SHO and a Keeley Katana, which was cool, but waay overpriced IMO, just like the Z.Vex SHO..
For comparison: I built my SHO for 4 bucks worth of circuitparts + a case, switch jacks (~15 bucks).. and that's including the one "special" multilayer cap!