What FX are you using.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daryl said:
m0jo said:
Boosting the MTS line really opens another dimension. I use my SD-1 and self built Super Hard On a lot for this :)
You shouldn't be afraid of chopping up frequencies! Try some other OD's like the SD-1, MXR ZW OD, Sparkle Drive, Way Huge Pork Loin.

Throwing the SD-1 on with the volume up, gain down brings out harmonics like you wouldn't believe! Especially on the XTC.
I've used a Toadworks Texas Flood and a Tech 21 XXL pedal with good results. I just like the idea of trying something with a less coloration. If you haven't tried the Tech 21 XXL you absolutely have to try it. You can get the Tubescreamer sound and a whole lot more. It has a "warp" control on it that affects the the structure and balance of odd and even harmonics. It sounds wicked in front of a Blackface. It is very dynamic and reacts well to touch and pick attack. My favorite of all time.

Have you checked out MI Audio's Boost'n'Buff? It's a clean boost that offers something like 35db of boost. After 12 o'clock, it becomes a treble boost. And even when it's off, it acts as a buffer, to regain the tone lost due to long cable runs.

they recommend placing it first in your chain, but I found that with the amount of boost it pumps out, it would occasionally overwhelm some of my OD pedals. They would freak out and stop working.

I'm using the Digitech GSP1101 and the optional Control2 foot-controller.

It's a good little package with enough sounds of it's own that I can just take these on the plane and cover any gig. The footswitch is fantastic.
No doubt Harman (who own Digitech and Lexicon I believe) based this unit around the Lexicon MPX G2 and R1 controller.
Of course I prefer to use a real amp when I can, but we're not big enough as a band to fly our whole amp racks across the country, yet, but hopefully one day!

Anyway, one great thing about the GSP1101 is the built-in fx/preamp loop, which is placed after the od/dist, compressors etc - but before the time-based fx such as delay and reverb.
This means I can program, for example, a Boost/Comp/OD to run into the RM4's input to hit the tubes a bit harder, then add my Reverb/Delay FX post-RM4 ie when the signal returns back to the GSP1101 and then into my poweramp.

Many other input/ouput options are available too, and the unofficial beta updates (digitech stopped at V2.0) available have added a "dry-kill" function so that it can be used in a parallel fx loop.

Seems most of the big guys who where endorsing these have moved onto the Axe-fx, which is no doubt a better unit, but I can't afford it yet!
You guys in the USA can buy the whole GSP/Control2 package new for around $700.
Here in Australia just the Control2 pedal costs $600 alone!

I know there's better out there, but this is a seriously useable bit of kit :wink:

thrashanova said:
I'm using the Digitech GSP1101 and the optional Control2 foot-controller.

It's a good little package with enough sounds of it's own that I can just take these on the plane and cover any gig. The footswitch is fantastic.
No doubt Harman (who own Digitech and Lexicon I believe) based this unit around the Lexicon MPX G2 and R1 controller.
Of course I prefer to use a real amp when I can, but we're not big enough as a band to fly our whole amp racks across the country, yet, but hopefully one day!

Anyway, one great thing about the GSP1101 is the built-in fx/preamp loop, which is placed after the od/dist, compressors etc - but before the time-based fx such as delay and reverb.
This means I can program, for example, a Boost/Comp/OD to run into the RM4's input to hit the tubes a bit harder, then add my Reverb/Delay FX post-RM4 ie when the signal returns back to the GSP1101 and then into my poweramp.

Many other input/ouput options are available too, and the unofficial beta updates (digitech stopped at V2.0) available have added a "dry-kill" function so that it can be used in a parallel fx loop.

Seems most of the big guys who where endorsing these have moved onto the Axe-fx, which is no doubt a better unit, but I can't afford it yet!
You guys in the USA can buy the whole GSP/Control2 package new for around $700.
Here in Australia just the Control2 pedal costs $600 alone!

I know there's better out there, but this is a seriously useable bit of kit :wink:

I actually use the GSP1101 with the RM4 in the loop :)
It replaces a huge pedalboard.

The effects are pretty good, not shocking but certainly good enough for live stuff.
I got a very good deal on it, otherwise I might have saved up for an Eleven Rack ;)

m0jo said:

The effects are pretty good, not shocking but certainly good enough for live stuff.
I got a very good deal on it, otherwise I might have saved up for an Eleven Rack ;)

Yep, the loop feature makes it a nice cheap mini "bradshaw system" of sorts.
Thinking back I believe the 2112/2120 had this feature too (as do many others), though it was thought of as simply an fx loop at the time.
Those units were certainly much more powerful, FX-wise, than the 1101.

As far as the 1101 goes, apart from the pitch (which tracks poorly) the fx are definitely ok - a bit more hi-fi/digital and not quite as nice as the TC G-Force/Major, and not even close in quality to Eventide etc, but as a package system I believe it's better value than the equivalent options from Rocktron and...er...no other brand I can think of right now???

I tried the Digidesign Eleven Rack, not bad at all, but I got the Digitech package for the same price as the Eleven Rack sells for here, and I had a 002 anyway for recording.
It's biggest downfall for me is it's lack of seamless preset changing, I can't stand to have my delays etc chopped-off at the end of a solo so that's a big NO from me right there!

thrashanova said:
m0jo said:

Yep, the loop feature makes it a nice cheap mini "bradshaw system" of sorts.
Thinking back I believe the 2112/2120 had this feature too (as do many others), though it was thought of as simply an fx loop at the time.
Those units were certainly much more powerful, FX-wise, than the 1101.

As far as the 1101 goes, apart from the pitch (which tracks poorly) the fx are definitely ok - a bit more hi-fi/digital and not quite as nice as the TC G-Force/Major, and not even close in quality to Eventide etc, but as a package system I believe it's better value than the equivalent options from Rocktron and...er...no other brand I can think of right now???

I tried the Digidesign Eleven Rack, not bad at all, but I got the Digitech package for the same price as the Eleven Rack sells for here, and I had a 002 anyway for recording.
It's biggest downfall for me is it's lack of seamless preset changing, I can't stand to have my delays etc chopped-off at the end of a solo so that's a big NO from me right there!
??? I do have seamless preset changing!

That's why they have 2 processors.. one handles the fade outs of the old sound (which I think isn't the most elegant solution but ok).

What firmware are you running?
Maybe it's a bug in the early beta or something.
I'm running the latest C62 beta, which does have a bit betteer tracking on the harmonies as well (but still not great)

Hmm,

yes, these guys are demonstrating why I didn't stay with rack stuff; sounds great, too much work. I got tired of lugging the rack case too.

TC Electronics is the shiznit, and everybody knows that. If you are a computer guy, it's the ONE.

I am like you and want CLEAN and SILENT from my modulation effects. I bought a Line 6 Tone Core Echo Park, because I tried the big Line 6 pedals, and they are pretty clean, and the pedal has a lot of delay programs in a dial, which I prefer to twisting knobs on an analog delay endlessly, since I know !@#% all about delay. (I also got it stupid cheap!)

I have a Homebrew THC, and it is hospital sanitary on the tone, but it makes the requisite analog noise. I have a Boss CE-2 which is pretty quiet, but it colors the tone (in a good way!). I am as anxious as you to find a clean, quiet chorus stompbox. Was gonna try the Nova Modulator.

I use a loop switcher to avoid the tone suck and dance bit.

Good luck, and I am keen to learn what you find!

speedemon said:
Hmm,

yes, these guys are demonstrating why I didn't stay with rack stuff; sounds great, too much work.

It depends, I'm an IT guy, for me it's second nature ;)

Also, what thrashanova is saying is not normal, that unit has seamles preset switching as standard..

speedemon said:
Hmm,

yes, these guys are demonstrating why I didn't stay with rack stuff; sounds great, too much work.

I stay with rack stuff coz not only is it more versatile, it's LESS hassle :lol:
Sure there's some extra tweaking to be done at 1st with your presets, but really there's nothing to it at all (especially compared to the guys that have 14 stompboxes and looper/switcher pedals etc...).
After that it's all setup ready to go, nice and safe in a heavy duty flight case, the only leads I need to ever plug in are a guitar lead, footswitch lead and a speaker cable!

m0jo said:
Also, what thrashanova is saying is not normal, that unit has seamles preset switching as standard..

Sorry I meant, and thought I said, the Eleven Rack has no seamless change :oops:
Digitech 1101, Digidesign 11r... easy to see where the mistake coulda been made :)
My GSP1101 has seamless preset changing for sure.
Will check out c62 though, thanks for heads-up I think I'm on c48.
My tuner did go a bit whacky (as did my co-guitarists) after the upgrade, has this been sorted by c62 do you know?

thrashanova said:
m0jo said:

Sorry I meant, and thought I said, the Eleven Rack has no seamless change :oops:
Digitech 1101, Digidesign 11r... easy to see where the mistake coulda been made :)
My GSP1101 has seamless preset changing for sure.
Will check out c62 though, thanks for heads-up I think I'm on c48.
My tuner did go a bit whacky (as did my co-guitarists) after the upgrade, has this been sorted by c62 do you know?
Haha, sorry for the misunderstanding, I misread that and thought you were commenting on the only downfall for the GSP ;)

My tuner has been wacky from the get-go..
It seems better in C62, but has it's moments.

I definitly agree on the hassle thing!
My setup and breakdown time is as quick as my rythm guitarist, who uses a DSL + tuner + guitar.
But I have hundreds of effect sounds..

Now that's fine because that's how we roll (he's my "dry side" ;) )
But if I were to use pedals to do this.. well I cant, I've tried!! :shock:

It really depends on how diverse you want your sounds to be.
If you want to kick in a delay here or a chorus there, pedals are defintly the way to go.
But if you want to go from reverse delay+chorus to enormous phaser+huge church echo .. multieffects are the only realistic way.
(no, not all of my sounds are like that, but changes like that happen, and I want the freedom to be able to do that ;) )

thrashanova said:
I stay with rack stuff coz not only is it more versatile, it's LESS hassle :lol:
That's exactly why I use rack as well. It is actually a lot more hassle to carry around a big pedal board and if you use a rack power conditioner, you are already moving a rack case around. Pedals are cool, but getting some pedals to play nicely with others can be a real pain in the ***. Then there's the whole issue with some delays being instrument level and not working well in the effects loops. I feel like I have the simplest rig I have used in years. Without sacrificing too much in the way of tone and options.
All I use is in my signature at the bottom here. :)

m0jo said:
If you want to kick in a delay here or a chorus there, pedals are defintly the way to go.
But if you want to go from reverse delay+chorus to enormous phaser+huge church echo .. multieffects are the only realistic way.

I use the "5-bank mode", so with the Control2 pedal that gives me 5 presets per bank + plus 5 stompbox on/off fx per preset + the "control" button which can control just about anything + the expression pedal and/or wah...
I dunno about you guys but that's plenty for me :p
I like to concentrate on playing and not switching, I HATE switching!

Daryl said:
Pedals are cool, but getting some pedals to play nicely with others can be a real pain in the ***. Then there's the whole issue with some delays being instrument level and not working well in the effects loops. I feel like I have the simplest rig I have used in years. Without sacrificing too much in the way of tone and options.
All I use is in my signature at the bottom here. :)

+1

I used to use the G-Major and X-15 as well, probably a tad nicer sounding overall.
I had my friends G-system over here the other day... Gassing for one real bad now, sounded absolutely brilliant!
Axe-Fx vs G-system - can't afford either!

Seems like a lot of experienced folks in here with rack setups and I have a question:

I'm not a BIG effects guy, but I want to be able to switch to my clean channel and have it effected with some chorus and delay (I'm very 80's like :p) and maybe have a delay set for my leads (what few I do.

What would be an inexpensive, high quality MIDI effects processor for such mild uses? I might see myself using a flanger from time to time in the occasional tune, but otherwise I would leave the effects up to my other guitarist.

Also, what's the most reliable (non bank-breaking, of course :D) MIDI controller? I'm assuming the Behringer model, but I have heard mixed reviews.

Ok,

yeah of course, pedals because I want a little reverb, chorus, gate and a tuner, and I like the sound of pedals (old guy going for old sounds) better than digital units. My big "Alex Lifeson" rig will add the Line 6 delay and a phaser. For my "chicago blues" rig, sub a comp and leslie sim for the chorus.

Pedals can get out of hand quickly, takes some discipline. The other guy in my band lugs around a bunch of cheap pedals, and I cringe every time he is kicking the thing. He NEEDS a multi-effect unit in the worst way, but is the type of guy that will never get anywhere with one...

If I was going for the 18 sounds and effect chains settings for 18 songs I would just eff it all and get a Line 6...lol

But the REAL reason I don't do rack effects...is that when I got my RM100, the guy threw in an ATA case that held the head and had 4 rack spaces, and the **** thing wouldn't fit in the trunk of my car...lol

Take it easy!

Shinozoku said:
Seems like a lot of experienced folks in here with rack setups and I have a question:

I'm not a BIG effects guy, but I want to be able to switch to my clean channel and have it effected with some chorus and delay (I'm very 80's like :p) and maybe have a delay set for my leads (what few I do.

What would be an inexpensive, high quality MIDI effects processor for such mild uses? I might see myself using a flanger from time to time in the occasional tune, but otherwise I would leave the effects up to my other guitarist.

Also, what's the most reliable (non bank-breaking, of course :D) MIDI controller? I'm assuming the Behringer model, but I have heard mixed reviews.

you could pick up a Rocktron Intellifex & Midimate for not too much.

Shinozoku said:
I want to be able to switch to my clean channel and have it effected with some chorus and delay (I'm very 80's like :p) and maybe have a delay set for my leads (what few I do.

What would be an inexpensive, high quality MIDI effects processor for such mild uses?

Mate if you like the "80's sound", then there's just so many old fx units out there that you can pick up real cheap!
And just because they're old and cheap doesn't mean they aren't any good!

Here's a few that would fit the bill:
Digitech - TSR 12 or 24, Valve-fx, GSP2101/2112/2120, Legend etc...
Yamaha - SPX90, 770...
Alesis - Midiverb, Quadraverb etc....
Rocktron - Intellifex, Chameleon etc...

As for footcontrollers, if you want to keep it real simple then just use the RM100's pedal (RF3?)!
The Behringer FCB1010 is pretty useful, but not road-worthy, I destroyed mine in a matter of months :x
For a tough yet cheap, no-nonsense controller I'd recommend the Boss/Roland FC50 (5 pedal) or 100 (10 pedal version).

speedemon said:
I like the sound of pedals (old guy going for old sounds) better than digital units.

Pedals can get out of hand quickly, takes some discipline.

If I was going for the 18 sounds and effect chains settings for 18 songs I would just eff it all and get a Line 6...lol

But the REAL reason I don't do rack effects...is that when I got my RM100, the guy threw in an ATA case that held the head and had 4 rack spaces, and the **** thing wouldn't fit in the trunk of my car...lol

Take it easy!

I agree that when it comes to EQ, Overdrive/Distortion, Compression etc... pedals (or analogue gear in general) beat digital hands down everytime.

Flangers, Phasers etc... depends on taste I think, I prefer the 'hi-fi' rack sound - as I do with Delay.

Getting real "tube" or "spring" reverbs etc.. is almost an impossibility in rack world (I can only think of an old Peavey unit) and pedals probably have the upper hand here I think.

I only ever use 4 main tones, plus a couple of effected versions of those main 4. My rack is pretty light these days, thank god.

One thing I'll never do (again!) is to replace anything remotely good with a Line6 anything! Great for home-demos but that's it!

VitaminG said:
Shinozoku said:

you could pick up a Rocktron Intellifex & Midimate for not too much.
I have always liked the sounds of the TC products so I usually direct people that way. In my mind if it's not broke don't fix it. TC tones are warm and alive. The delays are pristine and 3-D sounding. If you are looking to spend a couple hundred, there is a GMajor on ebay for $200 w/ Free Shipping W/Buy it Now. Guys got 264@100%feedback rating.
http://cgi.ebay.com/TC-ELECTRONIC-G-MAJOR-Free-Shipping-/320636321991?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4aa76a00c7#ht_500wt_1156
I have also heard good things about the TC Electronic M350. It is cheaper and still really good, especially if you only need some delays and reverb. I found one on Ebay, manufacturer refurbished, for $149 w/Free Shipping W/ Buy it Now. I like manufacturer refurbished and used more than new because the manufacturer has addressed any issues that there may have been or a user has tested and assured the quality. New is a crap shoot sometimes. Here is the link to the M350: http://cgi.ebay.com/T-C-TC-Electronic-M350-M-350-Effects-reverb-Processor-/370470591308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5641c49b4c#ht_2465wt_1139
The bottom line is that there are a lot of really good products out there that all have a different feature set and price range. Everybody has got their favorites and no one is wrong. Both of the selections I present here are less than the cost of a new Randall module w/ free shipping! If you got the cash I would get the GMajor@ $200. Free shipping makes it a much better value than you are likely to find.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

speedemon said:

It's time for a bigger car or truck then. :lol:

For reliable midi stuff in a live situation, you can't go wrong with the Rocktron stuff. The Intellifex is crazy good. I think it is better than the Xpression (which I have). The Xpression is pretty good as well. Dime for Dime the Rocktron MidiMate is the pedal to go with. You can find this pedal used for under $100 (I paid $75 including shipping). It also comes with an expression jack for an expression pedal.

Biggest thing is check the features & make sure it has the ones (all of them) you want... Tuner, Pedal bypass, etc.

thrashanova said:
Shinozoku said:
I want to be able to switch to my clean channel and have it effected with some chorus and delay (I'm very 80's like :p) and maybe have a delay set for my leads (what few I do.

What would be an inexpensive, high quality MIDI effects processor for such mild uses?

Mate if you like the "80's sound", then there's just so many old fx units out there that you can pick up real cheap!
And just because they're old and cheap doesn't mean they aren't any good!

Here's a few that would fit the bill:
Digitech - TSR 12 or 24, Valve-fx, GSP2101/2112/2120, Legend etc...
Yamaha - SPX90, 770...
Alesis - Midiverb, Quadraverb etc....
Rocktron - Intellifex, Chameleon etc...

As for footcontrollers, if you want to keep it real simple then just use the RM100's pedal (RF3?)!
The Behringer FCB1010 is pretty useful, but not road-worthy, I destroyed mine in a matter of months :x
For a tough yet cheap, no-nonsense controller I'd recommend the Boss/Roland FC50 (5 pedal) or 100 (10 pedal version).

I like the idea of having different banks of effects, somewhat like with the Line6 amps (my friends run them in their band and have various banks for various songs, using tremoloed cleans, etc.). I might implement an Intelliflex and add in a better controller later :) Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

The Intellifex's sound great for Delay and Chorus, and they're ok for Reverb. You can get a used Intellifex for $100 US or less (just bought and sold one a while back).

I'm using the Fractal Audio System's Axe-FX which can replace a refrigerator sized rack of gear easily, utilizing completely wide-open routing architecture, as well as delivering the industry standard in modeled amp sounds and convolution cab sim technology. The Axe also has a computer editor to make editing easier (Mac and Win). It's not cheap, but it stands alone with regards to amp sims, and also for FX excepting the even more expensive Eventide boxes.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fa-axefx.html

Hamner1 said:
For reliable midi stuff in a live situation, you can't go wrong with the Rocktron stuff. The Intellifex is crazy good. I think it is better than the Xpression (which I have). The Xpression is pretty good as well. Dime for Dime the Rocktron MidiMate is the pedal to go with. You can find this pedal used for under $100 (I paid $75 including shipping). It also comes with an expression jack for an expression pedal.

Biggest thing is check the features & make sure it has the ones (all of them) you want... Tuner, Pedal bypass, etc.