What is your main..........

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bewitagos1 said:
is this your first scalloped fret board? I've always wanted one, but haven't had enough time behind one to know if it would be a wise investment for me. When I have played scalloped boards, I had issues with my finger pressure and finding how hard or light to press to get a good fluid tone, especially with arpeggios. Let me know how it goes...if you would.

Thanks,
Jimmie
Hey Jimmie,
I got a 75 Strat with a scalloped board right now, plus I had couple more guitars in the past with scalloped necks.
I no longer use them jsut because I don't feel the need for it anymore. You shouldn't have any issues with too much pressure. Contrary to popular beliefs, it's not that much dramatic change compare to really high frets. I can play as hard as I wanted with the scalloped board, no problem.
One thing i think is a misconception is it does not make you play any faster. It's actually harder to do legato left hand stuff on a scalloped board.

tung said:
Hey Jimmie,
I got a 75 Strat with a scalloped board right now, plus I had couple more guitars in the past with scalloped necks.
I no longer use them jsut because I don't feel the need for it anymore. You shouldn't have any issues with too much pressure. Contrary to popular beliefs, it's not that much dramatic change compare to really high frets. I can play as hard as I wanted with the scalloped board, no problem.
One thing i think is a misconception is it does not make you play any faster. It's actually harder to do legato left hand stuff on a scalloped board.

Hey Tung, thanks for the reply. I used to live up in Newmarket for a number of years. Maybe the guitar I used was scalloped too agressively for me because it was hard to solo in tune or maybe its just not for me. I've always wondered though...

in your travels, you ever run across a guitarist by the name of Pete Swan?

Jimmie

Bewitagos1 said:
tung said:
Hey Tung, thanks for the reply. I used to live up in Newmarket for a number of years. Maybe the guitar I used was scalloped too agressively for me because it was hard to solo in tune or maybe its just not for me. I've always wondered though...

in your travels, you ever run across a guitarist by the name of Pete Swan?

Jimmie

I know many players name Pete, some i can't recall their last names, can you be more specific? :wink:
If you got a heavy fretting hand where you dig deep into the fingerboard, scalloped can cause intonation issues, you're basically bending the note into the fingerboard. I usually play with a light touch when doing technical stuff. Using heavier strings will help too.

tung said:
I know many players name Pete, some i can't recall their last names, can you be more specific? :wink:
If you got a heavy fretting hand where you dig deep into the fingerboard, scalloped can cause intonation issues, you're basically bending the note into the fingerboard. I usually play with a light touch when doing technical stuff. Using heavier strings will help too.

Thanks again Tung...will probably wait out dropping the coin for now.

Here is an article about the guy am refering to:
http://www.dayjoborchestra.com/pete-banner.htm

The point of a scalloped fretboard, however, is to allow you to achieve a lighter touch and more accuracy, therefore allowing you to shred faster. So it DOES do what people say it does, there's just a step or two in between ;)

My main axe is an '01 PRS Singlecut with a duncan Trembucker in the neck and an invader in the bridge.
I also play a Singlecut Standard with Seymor Duncan P-90s

Just got a Charvel Star with Duncans. Sounds and plays like a dream. Never been much of a Duncans fan, but I WAY prefer these to the EMGs I've used for years.

It used to be the Jackson DKMG and and ESP MH-400. Nowadays I use my modded Rhoads Pro and ESP. EMG 81/85 combo in all my guitars. :twisted:

Gibson 1991 classic all gold custom shop (owned by NIN) DOWNWARD SPIRAL TOUR.

Motor City Pickups / Afwayu and custom wound neck

I'm back with my Schecter again. Nothing breaks up like a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with a JB/59 set. Also gone to my Gibson SG for leads.

For 80s stuff: Jackson SL1 with duncan 78' bridge and alnicoII pros middle and neck
For modern stuff: Jackson KE2 with EMG81/60. I'm thinking of switching them to duncan blackouts. Has anybody ever owned both? How do they compare?

These days now I'm playing with this one.... just to be different.

Mustang2.jpg