what module should i order? Topboost esc' tones

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbag

Reaction score
I'm not super enlightened on the whole vox tone modules so i need some info from anyone who can help me with experience.

But yer i'm after that sound to add to my rack,

I'm not sure whether to buy a Super V, Topboost (and i can fix up all the wrongs that went with that module) Salvations MatchVox and Jaded Faiths Voxless.

Now i've heard the Topboost is pointless without the mod, but once you mod it the volume is just in no way able to compete with the other modules....But in my case this doesn't bother me as i use 4 cable method and have patch levels for my GTPRO so i can bring up the level easily.

The other thing i've heard is the topboost is just too twangy and jangley, so i've read comparison that the super V is the way to go, little less jangle, but fuller, more usable etc.

I'm open to the Voxless and MatchVox but I need to buy a donor mod also then, which isn't entirely worth it for me at the moment as it's only going to be tastefully used (unless i fall in love with it's tone for some reason)

I appreciate any clips/youtube etc and all help. Tube suggestions are taken note and any mods are too!

The Super V has a similar discrepency in volume/level. With my other modules Level set at noon, the Super V is dimed to keep on par with volume although I had to keep the gain down considerably. It breaks up pretty early. With a 12AX7 in V1 I had the Gain set at about 8:00 o'clock. I put in a GT 12AU7 and I was able to get the gain up to about 10:00 o'clock and still be clean. I was hoping the AU7 would take out some of the jangle/chime, but it didn't take much of it out. I eventually will plug an EH 12AX7 in V2 to see if that will further remove some of the jangle/chime. I also have Chinese 12AU7 that may make its way into V2.

I have a Topboost that Sacredgroove modified with Orange Drop caps and the reduced gain mod and the clarity is amazing. I bought it a few years ago. If you get a Topboost, I definitely recommend sending it to him.

Two ways to do this:

1. See if you can grab a Top Boost and a SuperV cheap to try 'em....then decide if it's worth another $100+ to get 'em modded (the desire to improve/add, if only by 5% is likely to eat away at your soul if your are a bit OCD like me though...)

2. Hang out in Classifieds looking for the Voxless or MatchVox..both are excellent...couldn't really tell you which I preferred or reason why as I flipped 'em both and kept my stock SuperV

I have to say I never really found my stock Top Boost too jangly...it had far more gain that it should have but I really liked it, YMMV.

I kept my SuperV and generally plug it in for early break up cleans....it's nice

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input, that's exactly what I want too, a broken clean sound with that slight jangle of a vox. Ahhh boy, here I go again on another quest for tone! Haha

I've been drooling over the JF Voxless for some time now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idfov9GHf4A
So many tones my head was spinning....

Mattfig said:
Hey Daryl,

Thanks for pointing people to those links! Much appreciated!

XOXO,
Fig
My pleasure, bro.
I wouldn't point to it if it wasn't worth a look.

Thanks for the hugs and kisses big guy. :wink:

Daryl said:
Mattfig said:
Hey Daryl,

Thanks for pointing people to those links! Much appreciated!

XOXO,
Fig
My pleasure, bro.
I wouldn't point to it if it wasn't worth a look.

Thanks for the hugs and kisses big guy. :wink:

Sorry....I had sausage for dinner....I think I crave just one more piece...Of sausage...You know....Grilled sausage...Not the....You know....Pee Pee kind....Yuck....Not that sausage isn't yuck on its own....But yuck in the pee pee sense...And shame on you for thinking that! You are all pervs and kooks in my book! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
old-man-laughing.jpg

I think I peed myself a little.

I've never tried a Super V, but the Top Boost doesn't sound much like a Vox AC30, though I thought it sounded great as a mid-gain module. So, if you want to sound like a real Vox then Salvation's MatchVox and Jaded Faith's Voxless should be the way to go. If you only want to sound kind of Vox-like then the Super V or Top Boost should work.

Tbag said:
I'm not super enlightened on the whole vox tone modules so i need some info from anyone who can help me with experience.

But yer i'm after that sound to add to my rack,

I'm not sure whether to buy a Super V, Topboost (and i can fix up all the wrongs that went with that module) Salvations MatchVox and Jaded Faiths Voxless.

Now i've heard the Topboost is pointless without the mod, but once you mod it the volume is just in no way able to compete with the other modules....But in my case this doesn't bother me as i use 4 cable method and have patch levels for my GTPRO so i can bring up the level easily.

The other thing i've heard is the topboost is just too twangy and jangley, so i've read comparison that the super V is the way to go, little less jangle, but fuller, more usable etc.

I'm open to the Voxless and MatchVox but I need to buy a donor mod also then, which isn't entirely worth it for me at the moment as it's only going to be tastefully used (unless i fall in love with it's tone for some reason)

I appreciate any clips/youtube etc and all help. Tube suggestions are taken note and any mods are too!