What's wrong with me?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
Rant: ON...

When I was getting back into the MTS game, I thout to myself, "Ross, this is going to be a cheaper and better alternitive to an Axe FX 2. I'll get an RM100 and some mods to cover my basic tones and I'll be able to have the equivilent of a little studio without spending the 10's of thousands of dollars to buy the real amps".

Well, I was partially right. Yes, its better than an Axe FX. Yes, I have the eqivilet of a small studio of tones. However, while it was initially cheaper than an Axe FX 2, now it seems far from cheap.

Instead of having my basic tones, I keep getting module after module and then there's the cost to mod each module. MTS is becoming a money pit- not a money pit that I don't like. - I love this money pit, but a pit none the less.

I originally thought I'd have 4-6 modules and now I'm at about 20. My Original RM100 head turned into 3 RM100's- the afformentioned one, a combo and a Lynchbox. Now I'm trying to find an RM1250 as well. I have 5 incoming Salvo mods, Orders that have yet to be sent to Rob, Scott and Trace. I keep wondering if Bruce is going to re-introduce MTS to the world (and of course, I'll have to get that system too,

And this MTS thing has gotten a little out of control.

Should I be buying food and groceries instead of mods ;)?

Does anyone ever notice that a simple decision can suddenly spin out of control even with the best intentions at heart?

I love the MTS world, but somtimes I have to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. What's wrong with me???

I was a tone chaser until I went a Steve Morse guitar clinic...then I decided I need to practice...a lot!

I feel your pain brother....I feel your pain. It all RE-started with an RM22 last Christmas....then an RM100.....then a 1250.

By that point I'd already bought and sold at least 2 RM100's, a MOD50, and an Egnater M4 rig with a GCX and the whole works. I told myself I was content with my modded Blues Jr. and a couple of decent pedals...then I went searching for a decent lower volume high gain option. Then I heard what the modders were doing and said "I'll just get an RM22 and a couple of mods from Jaded Faith". Then I realized Jaded Faith was right down the street from me....then I lost control.....

That does seem like a lot of modules. When I see collections like Fig's, I think sure, it sounds like a lot of fun, but how can it really warrant the expense? The most modules I've ever owned at a time is six (actually, it's possible I briefly had seven, but I can't be positive about that), and I've been at that number for a long time now. I'm hankering for a JF EV Trilogy, because that does things that none of my other modules do, and possibly a JF Texas Special, since I'm a little short on mods covering low-gain tones. Beyond that, it starts to get a little silly to collect 'em all, IMO. With Marshall/modded Marshall tones alone, there is a ridiculous plethora of mods you can own: 59RR, MK22, Camerock, Quick Mod, Mash-all, Rhoadie, Bully, etc etc. When a new one comes out, I have a hard time getting excited, and the only mod from this group in my collection is a MK22.

Whoopysnorp said:
That does seem like a lot of modules. When I see collections like Fig's, I think sure, it sounds like a lot of fun, but how can it really warrant the expense? The most modules I've ever owned at a time is six (actually, it's possible I briefly had seven, but I can't be positive about that), and I've been at that number for a long time now. I'm hankering for a JF EV Trilogy, because that does things that none of my other modules do, and possibly a JF Texas Special, since I'm a little short on mods covering low-gain tones. Beyond that, it starts to get a little silly to collect 'em all, IMO. With Marshall/modded Marshall tones alone, there is a ridiculous plethora of mods you can own: 59RR, MK22, Camerock, Quick Mod, Mash-all, Rhoadie, Bully, etc etc. When a new one comes out, I have a hard time getting excited, and the only mod from this group in my collection is a MK22.
I can haz modules.

I've swung my pendulum from a handful of mods to about 2 dozen modded mods....then I start feeling like "Why do I have all my $ tied up in 10 different kinds of Marshalls?" Then sell....then more mods come out, then too many, then sell....this has been going on for like 5 cycles now. I'm finally down to about 8-10 and resist the urge to jump on every new mod that gets released...though they are all tempting!

I don't have a huge collection, but since I fell into the scene in February I've had 12 or more mods come through my hands, as well as an RM50 head. I do want to get another RM100 head and a few more modded tones to get my "Dream Team" built. I really don't NEED more beyond simply covering those primary tones. But damnit all if it isn't becoming an addiction. Even just trading. Finding that new tone, cranking a new module for the first time, dialing and tweaking...it's a lifestyle. That's for sure. Really Fender and Vox cleans, Marshall an Orange mids, then recto and 5150 dirts is what I'm looking to achieve. Weaving through the modules to find the keepers is an amazing experience. And come on...just those six tones can be had with amps for under 2000 bucks. All those amps would cost over 10k I'm sure.

I love my wife. :lol: If you saw my basement, you'd know why. :wink:

In all seriousness, the tone chase is fun. We don't have kids (yet?), I'm a home body and it keeps me out of trouble (for the most part). You could have a lot worse vices: drugs, drinking, gambling, etc. I have a few mods that come close to one another, but since switching to dual channel I'm trying to keep it under control - for me. If you can afford it, it's no if deal. If you really need groceries or pay your mortgage, probably hold off on that Quickmod. :lol:

That is all from me.

Until you have the chops to match, it doesn't matter WHAT mods you have. Not saying you don't have chops, just saying in my own experience, I found two problems:

- I was chasing a sound that was the result of million dollar studios. Any amp mic'd through the best will sound or can sound great!

- chops. Any amp through the best gear will sound amazing as long as the guy playing it can make it sound amazing.

I have noticed that you buy a **** load of modules. A lot of the tones or modules that you are buying overlap in tones because the real amps re a variation on the theme. I think honestly what you need to do is pick one of each and be happy. You will still have a ton of mods but try this:

Top stockers:

Grail, Mr. Scary, maybe a Brahma. These can be lightly modded whatever.

Modded:

What is your fave recto? Hot Marshall? Drop D tuning crushing mod? Orange? Light breakup? Fender clean/crunch?

Then be done with it. From there it is your hands, an OD pedal to tighten, learning to mic and get better tones to tape, and be happy. If I were you, I would drop cash on a good mic pre, a decent converter, and a mic or two. That will reflect the tones you hear in the room far better.

I've learned that no matter what i try, my ear likes a certain tone. For me it is cut. So I have now dwindled my mods all to the following:

My Brownstone, a Scary i tweaked, the Judge + a screamer, Friedman Brahma.

Done. I don't even play the SL2X anymore that is Hillie modded. Just too much overlap. The only thing I am looking for is a Super V and maybe a Fender crunch of some sort down the line and the rest I have decided, will be put into mics etc.

Just some food for thought. I think you might get excited by faceplates and the idea of the module. At the end of the day, no matter how awesome the possibilities are for these modules, the gainier ones just suck at low gain. Take a real Orange. It will do low gain to higher gain. The way the modules are designed, very few of the gainer ones sound good dialed way back. They get thin. So sell some of that stuff and don't carry debt. I have essentially had to stop buying toys because I realized my spending was out of hand and i dropped more cash on emergency things like my dog at the vet or my car needing a new transmission. Debt creeps up on you!

drewiv said:

In all seriousness, the tone chase is fun. We don't have kids (yet?), I'm a home body and it keeps me out of trouble (for the most part). You could have a lot worse vices: drugs, drinking, gambling, etc. I have a few mods that come close to one another, but since switching to dual channel I'm trying to keep it under control - for me. If you can afford it, it's no if deal. If you really need groceries or pay your mortgage, probably hold off on that Quickmod. :lol:

That is all from me.

Last year my wife and I finally decided to have a kid and now I have an awesome 2 month old baby girl. Modules and chasing tone/great gear is a heck of a lot of fun but have a kid and you'll wonder why you waited so long!

JD said:
drewiv said:

That is all from me.

Last year my wife and I finally decided to have a kid and now I have an awesome 2 month old baby girl. Modules and chasing tone/great gear is a heck of a lot of fun but have a kid and you'll wonder why you waited so long!

As the proud father of the greatest 3 year old little girl in the whole world, I couldn't agree more. I'm fortunate in that I can have a family and still "chase tone".....but still .... Please don't tell my wife what each "little thingy with knobs" costs.....Lol

Kapo_Polenton said:
Just some food for thought. I think you might get excited by faceplates and the idea of the module. At the end of the day, no matter how awesome the possibilities are for these modules, the gainier ones just suck at low gain. Take a real Orange. It will do low gain to higher gain. The way the modules are designed, very few of the gainer ones sound good dialed way back.

While I would say this is certainly true of the stock modules and probably some modded ones as well, I would argue that a respectable portion of the modded modules excel across the gain spectrum. The Salvo Stonerverb and SG MK22 both get quite heavy, especially the Stonerverb, but are full of excellent low gain tones as well (especially the MK22, that thing is just magic).

I have five children. That said I definitely don't have spare cash in any fashion. But, I have made a few good trades and thanks to the forum and all you guys I have been able to flip around and find exactly what I was looking for and made this system come to life. It's exceeded my expectations and unlocked a whole new dimension in my playing up to and including inspiration to write and record. Debt is one thing, an investment another. Just keep it in a justifiable region and stay there. You really don't need 4 Marshall flavored mods.

Hmm. If I think of it, and list my mods, what overlaps?...

Fender- Stock Blackface, JF Plexi Tweed (P/T)
Vox- Salvo Matchvox, (upcoming 3EB based Voodoo module)
Recto- Treadplate, Grail
Mark- MarkUS, (upcoming 3EB based Voodoo module)
Marshall- Rockerverb, Shiver, Custom 3, Custom 3++, Salvado DLX, JF1959RR, JF P/T, JTM, Camerock, Terrier
Others- JF EVT (prototype), JF ODS, XTC

The stockers that I have will all be modded eventually-

1) The JTM comes first. I've wanted the Third Eye Blind sound for years (half a AC30 & half a mesa Heartbreaker). I don't get that tone with any one module, so I contacted Voodoo to help me with this one.

2) The Blackface I'll either sell or get the JF Texas Special mod (I lack a good fender tone)

3) I like my Grail's dark voicing, but sometimes its a lil' too dark. I've heard good things about SG's Diablo, so I'll send it off to him eventually.

4) Last is my Treadplate. I've thought of the MK22, JF XMG+ and the upcoming JF ENGL and I'm not sure which to do. I don't need another marshall mod. The Engl might be interesting as would the XMG+.

5) I just sold my XTC, so...

As far as my core tones go, I need- Matchvox, EVT, Stoneverb, Custom 3, so those aren't going anywhere any time soon.