Which mods are you using for lead?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roodyrocker said:
Not only do I use XTC for leads, I also use it as my main rhythm module as well. Of course, before selling off the XTC you could have sent it to Pete for some modification 8)

Rudy,
XTC is my favorite too, but I'm having some difficulties with cutting through the mix, that's why I go the Brown sometimes for leads, even though I prefer the XTC for solos. How are you running this module as far as getting a good mix with the band?

Tung; I don't recall my exact settings on my XTC and I'm out of town right now. But when I return home early next week I can check the settings for you if you like. Also, I now have a Pete modded XTC in addition to the stock one and our drummer and bass player play REALLY loud. So if I feel the stock XTC isn't cutting through the mix I just go to the next channel which is the Pete modded XTC and it cuts through! :)

roodyrocker said:
Tung; I don't recall my exact settings on my XTC and I'm out of town right now. But when I return home early next week I can check the settings for you if you like. So if I feel the stock XTC isn't cutting through the mix I just go to the next channel which is the Pete modded XTC and it cuts through! :)
Thanks, Rudy. I'm curious of you settings. What's the big difference between the Pete modded and the stock? (especially in a band context).
T.

Pete's modded XTC retains the XTC tone but makes it "clearer" if thats the right way to describe it. And by clearer I don't mean it removes gain or anything like that, just that it sounds more in your face. It gives the impression that its a lot louder and gain can be turned up more without causing noise/feedback. I like it :)

Wow, I guess I'm an outcast when it comes to this topic.
I've always just used the same tone for solos as I use for rhythms, but with a little volume boost...

Some songs, I'll add in a tad bit of 320ms delay at a real low effect level or maybe a little boost to the mids to help it cut a little more...but overall, my lead tone is just the same as my rhythm with a little boost.

My Egnater ERECT is my main module, so I set up channel B to have a little more volume and that's about it's only purpose...is for solos...

Jim; I pretty much use the same tone for rhythm as well as lead too. I didn't mean to imply that I used an modded XTC for lead and stock one for rhythm. I was just comparing the stock vs. modded XTC.

I was using the mr.scary for lead and just boosting it.It was a little thin sounding in the lead area.I'm now using it for my main rythme sound and the xtc for solos.The xtc cut through good at our show tonight.It is really wah friendly also.

fwiw: sometimes I keep the same tone for the solos..sometimes I dont. It depends on the song
For NowhereMan by the Beatles I use the TopBoost mod for both, I just boost the solo, thats all.
For NoMatter What by Badfinger I play a Plexi for rhythym and the Ultra for the solo.
Just sharing...and oh yeah I am currently sitting in with a cover band the past few months.

Update:
So I got the Ultra Lead (as suggested by Russ) and it was exactly what I was looking for. If you are after that warm Boogie lead tone...this is the ticket. I'm hitting the input with a Maxon OD808 just to give it a little boost but it sounds fine without it as well. If you haven't tried the Ultra Lead I highly recommend it.