Which module would give me an SL++ tone with more mids

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Latch

Reaction score
Hello,

I really like the SL++ but in an ideal world, I would like the mids to be less scooped and the treble less piercing. Which module (either Egnater, Randall, or modded) could give me that.

I have tried the following module but they couldn't give me that exactly:

59RR
Mash-all+
Mr Scary
Hiligan XTC

Thanks!

Steven Latch said:
Hello,

I really like the SL++ but in an ideal world, I would like the mids to be less scooped and the treble less piercing. Which module (either Egnater, Randall, or modded) could give me that.

I have tried the following module but they couldn't give me that exactly:

59RR
Mash-all+
Mr Scary
Hiligan XTC

Thanks!

What guitar(s) are you using? Maybe it's time for a change of pickups, bridge and strings?

In modules a 1086 is a bit darker. But Mike's question is a good one. It seems like a structural problem somewhere else in the rig. ;)

Perhaps your speakers aren't being friendly with that tone? A description of your rig would be handy to see what could be causing it.

Besides that, depending on how bad the "problem" is, changing the tubes for something a little duller (JJ) could help.

Fair points gents!

However, I have a guitar, power amp and speakers combo that match the 7 other modules in my rack (mesa 50:50 PA and V30 speakers), so altering those parameters may sort one issue to create 7 others :), which is why I'm looking to sort this at module level.

So far I am using an EQ to cut or boost certain frequencies and it does the trick. But adjusting all of this live is trickier than just having to sort my mids and treble knobs if their targeted frequencies is spot on. The SL+ is known to be on the scooped side of the JCM sounds. It may just be a question of shifting the mids pot a little but I was wondering if one particular module could get me there.

IS this an SL+ or ++? I don't know the difference if there are two but I can tell you from my experience a few things:

1. I also found my stock SL+ a little dark/scooped.
2. Addressing this with a .68 uf cap on C13 helped. That also goes for a Scary.
3. Sacredgroove recently helped me out with my Judge module as well. Is there a cap on C1 of the vertical board? That can affect highs but your problem seems to be in the mids department.
4. C10 on the Judge has a 500 pf in it. The Judge is all about the mids. That might also help.

Either way, what I am suggesting is about 4$ in parts so give it a try.

Thanks. This is the SL++ and it is very scooped. I have to dim the mids. In fact, it is not so much that there is too much treble, it's just that there aren't enough mids for me.

I have a judge too and it's fine but to my ears it is more of a boosted plexi tone. The S++ really have the JCM punch and agression, it's just the voicing I have an issue with.

Thanks for the tips, I may give them a go

Steven Latch said:
Thanks. This is the SL++ and it is very scooped. I have to dim the mids. In fact, it is not so much that there is too much treble, it's just that there aren't enough mids for me.

I have a judge too and it's fine but to my ears it is more of a boosted plexi tone. The S++ really have the JCM punch and agression, it's just the voicing I have an issue with.

Thanks for the tips, I may give them a go

Hi, i had the same problem with my Sl++
i replaced R31 with 33k, way better :D (seems to me this is the old "JCM800" mod)
still don't understand what this big cap at C21 is... :roll:
hope this helps,
cheers
eero

I liked the sound of the SL+, but like you, still felt it wasn't "quite there" yet. I sent it off to Trace at Voodoo Amps, who installed the UG Jose mod, and it now has killer tone; I can't get enough of it.

SL++ is Egnater single channel module, with voicing switch.
I think is quite different from the Randall SL+, names are too similar, people confuse them :wink:

eero said:
SL++ is Egnater single channel module, with voicing switch.
I think is quite different from the Randall SL+, names are too similar, people confuse them :wink:

Interesting. I just assumed it was the SL+ with an additional gain stage (not that it needs one.)