Why are there so many Plexi Modules for sale on Ebay?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackid

Reaction score
Is there something that folks don't like about it? Also what does everyone think of the JTM? Does this sound like the Bluesbreaker or 1974x amps? I am looking for that 60's/70's Marshall type sound, you know Clapton, Beck, Page and Hendrix. Sorry so many questions from a newbie. :)

mackid

May just be because it ships with several of the RM50/RM100 configurations... I'm selling a plexi module now because it came with my RM50, but I already had an Egnater SL so I didn't really need the duplication.

It's a cool module... first time I had one (about a year ago) I never quite figured out how to dial it in for the sound I want, but now it's one of my favorite tones.

--B

I love the Plexi!!! It the right amount of distortion for the classic rock stuff we do and some 80's rock. I also use it as a clean channel too. I set the gain at about 12.30 and roll back the volume on the guitar. It gives you a very full warm sound. Just curious if there are mods for it.

Yeah, it's a cool module. My guess is that it's just coincidence there are so many up for sale right now. I've ran into that with other things. Ebay will go for weeks/months without much of a specific thing I'm looking for, then all of the sudden several will show up.

I use mine with one of my bands... great classic rock tones.

Regarding mods - I have a few for them - one is the standard clarity/warmth mod I do on dang near all the modules I get ahold of, another is plexi-specific that allows more mids. It just makes the mids on 5 the same as a stock one on 10 - so you can get more if you need it. The plexi module IMHO sounds better with more midrange - much crunchier. I can also gain them up a little bit, but too far and you might as well just buy a brown.

JTM is a cool sounding module too, but it's much looser than a plexi. Stock, I think of the plexi module as Led Zep and the JTM as more of a Neil Young vibe.

Pete

I too am a big fan of the Plexi Module...it is a great 70's style sounding module that does have clean qualities as well. But, my new love is my Pete modded SL....man it is the greatest sound ever. Talk to him on this forum OKStrat and get the finest Marshall sound from a Randall module you have heard yet....I'm gonna get another one!!
Butch/INdy

ButchieT said:
I too am a big fan of the Plexi Module...it is a great 70's style sounding module that does have clean qualities as well. But, my new love is my Pete modded SL....man it is the greatest sound ever. Talk to him on this forum OKStrat and get the finest Marshall sound from a Randall module you have heard yet....I'm gonna get another one!!
Butch/INdy

Hey bro. What mods did you have okstrat do? Shortly after I bought the SL+ module from you, I did the .001u cap mod and JCM800 mod. That made it a totally different module. It went from so-so to awesome with just those few resistor/cap changes.

Chad said:
ButchieT said:
Butch/INdy

Hey bro. What mods did you have okstrat do? Shortly after I bought the SL+ module from you, I did the .001u cap mod and JCM800 mod. That made it a totally different module. It went from so-so to awesome with just those few resistor/cap changes.

I put the JCM800 mod on a switch so it goes from stock to that, put a switchable 'cap mod' where you can change the amount of bass with three different positions, and changed out several parts to get more clarity and warmth.

Pete

Okstrat, this may be redundant..I did put a post on this elsewhere at this forum...but I have an SL+, but I want to keep the current mids, but be able to suck them down much more..is this do-able? I dont want to drill anything if possible. I just want to be able suck down approx 16db at 500-800hz.
Anybody else ever ask for that?

btw: the Plexi module is really a must have module. To see so many on ebay says nothing to it's quality, or use-abilty.
Its like saying..there are alot Strats on ebay...there must be something wrong with that design. Not true.
If you play rock from 1966-1990approx...the plexi really does it right.