Will Randall Solve My Problem?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Vivrette

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm glad I founf this site. I'm hoping you can help me resolve the problem I'm having.

I have a Carvin Legacy head and 2x12 cab and I love the tone and feel from this amp. I'm having some difficulty capturing the tone when recording and I have some very nice mics.

I read about the Randall MTS system and heard some about recording direct and getting amazing tones. Is this correct?

I would seriously consider a system if I can get modules that I would be happy with aside from my Legacy.

Your help is much appreciated.

Jeff

First off, on behalf of the forum, Welcome!

Well Jeff, I've been around recording studios since I was 12 years old, (I'm 48 now,) and I've heard over and over that guitar is the hardest instrument to record!

I'm here on this forum because I've done a lot of research, and decided to go with the Egnater M4 modular preamp for the "wet" part of the W/D/W kit that I'm building, so obviously I recommend the stuff, but I don't think it's going to be the end-all solution to your problem.

I would recommend using three mics, one on-axis, one off-axis and one ambient. You'll have to experiment to get the precise placements. Even moving the mic a tiny amount can make a big difference! But the ambient mic can flavour the sound the most, IMHO. For example, cranking the piss out of the amp and putting the mic in the next room, (or maybe even the room beyond!) I knew someone who put the mic hanging upside down inside a glass pitcher at the end of the hall. Sounded great! Kind of Beatle-esque.

All that said, I'll be the first to admit that I'm no recording engineer. I spent all my time on the other side of the mic, but I think I picked up a trick or two, and I hope this helps you.

Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable members will be along to help you further.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Please let me throw in my two cents about direct recording.

First of all, let me say I agree with Altanon, although part of the mic configuration seems novel (I can't wait to try the glass pitcher!). Most all professionals I've talked to about recording the electric guitar seem to think that micing your cabinet is the only way to go. For example, much of your warm tube tone occurs from saturating the tube power amp, and you can't get that directly from a preamp. Moreover, another significant character of your tone comes from overdriving your speakers. For perfomance, micing your cab into the PA is usually accomplished with one dynamic mic place off axis and close to the speaker off center in the speaker cone region to avoid the ice pick highs that typically beam from the speaker driver. In the recording studio, three mics seem to be the norm. The three mic configuration I've been taught is one dynamic mic up close, off axis, off center like for performance, plus two cardioid mics on axis about two or three feet away. Then you can independently eq and mix your three channels to get your tone. I've been hearing more and more about micing from further away, such as the next room, but haven't tried it myself. I may have to add a fourth channel in the mix, and maybe a fifth for an on axis, off center, up close dynamic mic.

That said, I've heard that some professional recordings have been accomplished using the Palmer speaker simulator, but my understanding is that you need to use the one with the dummy load that allows you to crank your power amp and get liquid distortion. Thus, the Palmer just replaces your speaker cabinet and mics.

I've never tried the Palmer, but I did get to hear the new model of the Axe Trak at the NAMM last month and was impressed. The new model Axe Trak has a custom 6" hemispherical speaker that is really just a speaker driver, while the walls of the isolation cabinet serve the function of the speaker cone. I have not tried the Axe Trak with my own equipment yet, but I plan to do so before long. However, in the end I expect that I likely will return to micing my cabinet when possible because speaker choice has such a huge effect on tone, and the choice of speakers is limited with the Axe Trak. Also, the so called "air" or "ambience" from distance micing is another parameter that can't be achieved with a speaker simulator or isolation cabinet. For a portable recording studio, however, I think the Axe Trak or the Palmer could become my weapon of choice.