About to give up on my RM4 unless someone can help :(

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squealingfeedback

Reaction score
So i'm trying to record with my RM4 and digging the tones but i cannot get rid of this popping/cracking noise, even without a guitar plugged in. I'm going guitar-RM4-line out to Carl Martin Rock Bug-Zoom R8 recorder. I'm narrowed it down to the RM4 because plugging into the R8 alone is noise free, and it's not the Bug either. So next i tried disconnecting the fan which did nothing but make the 4 silent (which was nice btw) All i can think of now is maybe the preamp tubes or a cord issue. I'm totally bummed because i really wanted this to work out and hate to sell and buy again but unless someone knows what's up i'm afraid i'll have to, it makes recording totally useless. Anyone? :(

It's got to be some component in your RM4. It's not a problem common to all RM4 units because I'm recording mine very successfully. I use the post-loop outs and send them through 2 Hughes and Kettner Red Box Pro Cabinet Emulators that warm the signal up some ready for recording.

Try changing patch cords, then try changing tubes, and finally pop the top off of your RM4 and make sure all the jumpers and ribbon cables are seated securely. If all else fails, the noise could be generated by a leaky capacitor.

Hope this helps. If and when you cure the problem, please let the rest of us know for future reference.

Seems like a good first rule of thumb for identifying the problem would be to change all of the tubes with new tubes. If that doesn't help, it could be a component on one of the boards or something, or possibly one of the input/output jacks

Tried the tube swap and no change, i've also tried both the front and back input jacks and pre and post loop outputs. Jumpers and cables all check out. Guess i'm screwed huh?

squealingfeedback said:
So i'm trying to record with my RM4 and digging the tones but i cannot get rid of this popping/cracking noise, even without a guitar plugged in. I'm going guitar-RM4-line out to Carl Martin Rock Bug-Zoom R8 recorder. I'm narrowed it down to the RM4 because plugging into the R8 alone is noise free, and it's not the Bug either. So next i tried disconnecting the fan which did nothing but make the 4 silent (which was nice btw) All i can think of now is maybe the preamp tubes or a cord issue. I'm totally bummed because i really wanted this to work out and hate to sell and buy again but unless someone knows what's up i'm afraid i'll have to, it makes recording totally useless. Anyone? :(

Does it happen when the volume is down on the RM4?

squealingfeedback said:
Tried the tube swap and no change, i've also tried both the front and back input jacks and pre and post loop outputs. Jumpers and cables all check out. Guess i'm screwed huh?

Did your tube swap also include the preamp input tube not just the modules?

audiomidijace said:
squealingfeedback said:

Did your tube swap also include the preamp input tube not just the modules?

Yeah i swapped out all 3 of the RM4 tubes, it's not a module issue

WHat happens if you mute your power output and max the volumes on the RM4 and a mod and ram the strings? Sounds dumb but it sounds like a similar problem I have with one of mine ad that is my solution....

a popping crackling noise that is always there..even with no guitar hooked up...is likely a leaky capacitor in the rm4. I have had them in my Fender amps,as well.
They bleed out noise. In a stew of hisses and pops and lil crackles. If Im right...a repair guy can handle this pretty easily. And once done, you should be set for a very long time.
thats my 2cents.

PS: if its the caps...let an experienced repair person do the job...there are dangerous amounts of electricity involved. Its no joke.

Well it's off to Ebay if any of you guys are interested. I'm totally bummed but don't wanna deal with sending it somewhere for repair. If anyone wants to buy it outside of Ebay just lemme know, thanks for all your help.

Chris

Why don't you take it to repair shop instead of getting rid of it? Do you have the noise problem from the pre loop out? How did you verify it is not a module problem?

Hi Bruce,

I bought it for a good price so i'm not taking too much of a loss on it. Maybe the seller knew of the problem and that's why it was priced so low. It literally sold just seconds after i posted above. It wasn't modules because the noise was there with all that i tried, pre and post loop outs.

bruce egnater said:
Why don't you take it to repair shop instead of getting rid of it? Do you have the noise problem from the pre loop out? How did you verify it is not a module problem?

Bruce,
seeings how your back ...whats the status of the MTS line. many people are wondering, like myself.
We would really appreciatte hearing it from the horses mouth.
What is going on???

GtrGeorge

PS:sorry for being OT, but this is so important to many of us who have invested so much in the MTS line.

The contract with Randall has ended so they will no longer be producing the MTS line. We (Egnater) have been working on updating our models for a while. Hopefully, these new versions will be ready around the end of this year. I don't really have specifics about what the new stuff will be but everything we do will be compatible with any and all previous Randall and Egnater versions.

Also... to Squealingfeedback, I understand you didn't want to deal with getting your RM4 repaired but a forum is really not the place for service advice. I'm certain fixing it was a simple issue but selling it at a loss just doesn't make sense to me. Now it is still out there broken and you lost money??

Thank you, Bruce for the reply.
I wish you (and all of your staff) success. I certainly will be watching, and if anything meets my needs: I will be all over it.
Webmaster: the above post seems important enough to make it into a sticky. Do you agree?

..and back on Topic: I would definetly get the rm4 serviced by a competent service person...the sound is worth it. Imho, there is simply nothing out there quite as good.

GtrGeorge Barry (of "Holiday Road")

bruce egnater said:
The contract with Randall has ended so they will no longer be producing the MTS line. We (Egnater) have been working on updating our models for a while. Hopefully, these new versions will be ready around the end of this year. I don't really have specifics about what the new stuff will be but everything we do will be compatible with any and all previous Randall and Egnater versions.

Also... to Squealingfeedback, I understand you didn't want to deal with getting your RM4 repaired but a forum is really not the place for service advice. I'm certain fixing it was a simple issue but selling it at a loss just doesn't make sense to me. Now it is still out there broken and you lost money??
Still happy to hear Egnater Amps is still supporting Bruce.
I am sure he appreciated the advise and just wanted out. It is
going to good hands. I plan on taking it to my local shop and seeing
what they think they can do. I am sure its as simple as we all think.

Latest posts