Back in the MTS crew but new to these forums

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
Glad to have an MTS again! It's an RM50HB, which I had before and I think it's my favourite compromise for tone, size and volume. Digging it with JJ 6L6GC right now.

I tried almost every module last time around and I owned an RM50HB, RM100M and RM50C.

I got an Ultra and and Ultra Lead module so far...looking forward to regaining a Plexi and trying out the new Lynch modules!

This looks like a great forum. 8)

why did you get rid of the first time and whats your impressions of this amp and how do think it compares to other high gain tube amps.

maximus1 said:
why did you get rid of the first time and whats your impressions of this amp and how do think it compares to other high gain tube amps.

At the time I went amp mad, I had:

2ch Dual Rectifier
RoadKing Series I
Rectoverb
Marshall 6100LM
RM100M
RM50HB
RM50C

I sold all but the Dual Rectifier and RM100M with the intention of keeping but unfortunately needed money.

I found the RM50HB to be the best sounding of the bunch funnily enough....the RM100M sounded a bit odd to me with anything but very conservative settings of Bass...maybe it was just a volume issue who knows.

EDIT: have since learned the taper on the density control was not conducive to easy tweaking and hence prolly adding too much bass...I remember keeping it <9 o'clock

I had a Tweed, Plexi, Recto, Modern, Ultra, SL+, Clean and XTC.

EDIT: Forgot I had the Top Boost too.

The Marshall type modules easily kept up with the true Marshall I had at the time IMO.

From first time round, I noticed that a lot of the modules sounded very similar but I think they were largely based on similar tone stacks..so just different ranges of Mid, Treble and Gain maybe?

It was odd to me that I could get a Marshall'ish sound out of the Recto module at lower gain but this is maybe more to do with the Power Amp section? Other than that the Recto module definately captured the vibe of the Recto...I'm interested to check out Grail and/or Treadlate now! :D

Inbetween then and now I've owned an ENGL Blackmore, Powerball and the SE.

I'm loving the Ultra module right now...can dial it in very close to the Powerball, which is very high gain and tight/compressed 'dense' distortion.....love it.

The Ultra Lead is cool too.....could use a little more gain but it has a nice smooth voicing. I never got to try this one before but I thought there might be a problem dialing out the high end fizzle that's in some of the modules....but I don't hear it so bad this time...different cab maybe.

Will write more later if people are interested.

Welcome back to the madness, JKD!

For everyone else, I was the lucky SOB who bought JKD's RM100 and modules a while back, and they're getting a thorough workout a few times a week :)

One of the otehr things I never really got a handle on when I first had the MTS amps was boosting. I always boost my Dual Recto but when I tried it on the MTS....was not that happy...since then I got a Keeley modded SD-1 and it sounds wicked boosting the RM50HB...of course one of the things affecting this is the input pre-amp tubes.

I like the mid-push that I can get from the OD type pedals...

I'm no fan of EH12ax7 but they seem to work OK in this amp....I reemember the JJ ECC83s sounding too dark....the MTS seems to be one of the few amps that welcomes extreme settings of Presence without getting too harsh....anyone know if it's due to the pot taper or just naturally dark voicing?

I am eager to try out different pre-amp tubes...only really messed with one or two last time but I think I'll go further this time around...especially now the tung-sol RI is around :D

JKD,

Welcome back. I thought I was the only one on this forum with

Gear Acquisition Syndrome......LOL

MTS = Module Tinkering/ Tampering Syndrome ?

Howard