Best module for low tunings

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1087. I was playing my Jackson King V with 10 gauge strings tuned to D, and it didn't sound that good through the module. But once i got some 12's tuned to C, it sounded incredible. The 1087 sounds amazing at low tunings. Maybe the 1666 as well.

The KH3 sounds pretty nice with low tuned guitars too. My Vixen is tuned to C standard and it sounds pretty killer. The UltraXL that I had in my previous RM100 sounded neat too with my Vixen in C. My 1087 (and new UltraXL) should be here in about a week so I can compare then. I hope my 1666 is in soon, should be nice to try out the 1087 and 1666 side by side :twisted:

Baco said:
The KH3 sounds pretty nice with low tuned guitars too. My Vixen is tuned to C standard and it sounds pretty killer. The UltraXL that I had in my previous RM100 sounded neat too with my Vixen in C. My 1087 (and new UltraXL) should be here in about a week so I can compare then. I hope my 1666 is in soon, should be nice to try out the 1087 and 1666 side by side :twisted:
Nice! a 1666 and a 1087! :twisted: Let me know the verdict; i'm debating whether to keep my 1087 or get a 1666.

no.mop said:
What about low F#? :twisted:
I've found the lower i tune the guitar, the better the 1087 sounds. It is probably one of the best for low tunings. The 1666 might also be a good choice as well. Other than that, i don't know. Maybe a Pete or Rob mod'd Recto.

in e standard i like my ultra xl more than my grail. When i get down to c standard and b standard, i really, really love my grail. Boosted grail of course...needs that gain.

Both off of the 1086 module, the 1666 is Salvation, 1087 Gigmods. I have had both modules and they are nothing alike.

The 1666 has massive chainsaw gain that goes to over the top, thus the noise gate that is built right in (works great too). Very sinister and invokes that teenage angst in me- not for the faint of heart. For extreme metal tones that are still crystal clear, this is a great choice- though it can do a lot more than that, no doubt. Pedals on this one are not needed and often ill-advised.

The 1087 has plenty of gain too, but it's tone seems to have a lot more richer mids to it. All that over the top gain, but no need for a gate is impressive. Don't leave the dials at noon, this beast likes lots of eq dialed in to get the ideal tone. It is a superior lead tone machine, very inspiring. Sounds best with deep drop tunings (C and lower). I like to give a no-gain boost with my ZakkOD to give that extra edge. Pinch harmonics fly off this one more than any other module I've owned. The tone is unique. When playing 2 amps at the same time, my favorite combination is the PeteSL+ and Pete1087- awesome.

I'll put up some comparison clips later on when I get the chance....it's startling how different they are- both excellent in their own ways

crankyrayhanky said:
Both off of the 1086 module, the 1666 is Salvation, 1087 Gigmods. I have had both modules and they are nothing alike.

The 1666 has massive chainsaw gain that goes to over the top, thus the noise gate that is built right in (works great too). Very sinister and invokes that teenage angst in me- not for the faint of heart. For extreme metal tones that are still crystal clear, this is a great choice- though it can do a lot more than that, no doubt. Pedals on this one are not needed and often ill-advised.

The 1087 has plenty of gain too, but it's tone seems to have a lot more richer mids to it. All that over the top gain, but no need for a gate is impressive. Don't leave the dials at noon, this beast likes lots of eq dialed in to get the ideal tone. It is a superior lead tone machine, very inspiring. Sounds best with deep drop tunings (C and lower). I like to give a no-gain boost with my ZakkOD to give that extra edge. Pinch harmonics fly off this one more than any other module I've owned. The tone is unique. When playing 2 amps at the same time, my favorite combination is the PeteSL+ and Pete1087- awesome.

I'll put up some comparison clips later on when I get the chance....it's startling how different they are- both excellent in their own ways
I agree. The 1087 sounds amazing at low tunings. Anything D and higher just sounds sub-par.

Although i really love the 1087, it sounds like the 1666 is the module for me, well as far as metal goes. What do you mean by "chainsaw gain?"

I can't wait to hear the clips; i'm very curious to hear how they compare. I'm not sure if i want to keep the 1087 or get the 1666. I want to have both eventually, but to get the 1666, i'd probably have to sell the 1087.

What amp would you say the 1666 is most like? 1087?

Thanks, John.

I hated my stock Treadplate until I bought one of the old Randall Cabs with an Eminence Legend 15 and 2x12's in it. After that it came to life and left my other modules, SL+ and Ultra, in the dust. I have yet to try my modern though.

Ok,

bumping this topic because my bandmate with the Schecter 7 string tuned down a half step with EMGs wants my RM100. We tried it with my regular setup, sounded like complete a$$. Adding someone's Vintage 30 speaker cab helped. Was there a final verdict on the best distortion module for this type of guitar?

Thanks!

BigBrewtus said:
Mattfig said:
Red Witch said:
What is the difference between the 1087 and the 1666?

579 :D
Oh that Fig and his Witty brain. :lol:

Smartass is a lifestyle for me...I can't help it....I was born this way...

I've had both the 1087 (twice) and 1666 (once)...To my recollection they were somewhat similar with the 1087 sounding great with gain boost and the 1666 was also great- maybe a bit more edgy...

I own the 1087, JF VHT, JF Recto, JF Ultra and more recently the Salvation Mamba LE. All of these modules are perfect for my 7 string guitars (tuned a half step down to Bb). The JF Ultra has been my main live rhythm module for the past two years as it just slays. Plus, it has a really focused, tight sound that is crucial for low tunings, unless of course you are playing Doom,Sludge,Slow etc.

Also, having the right pickups is important too, but we'll leave that for another thread!