Cooling fan issues

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rblyn

Reaction score
Got a cheap RM100 here on the forum. Amp is fine except the fan's bearings are gone, making all kinds of noise. Can you run this amp without the fan??? Will overheat?I did find a replacement fan for cheap but will be a couple of weeks before I get it.

Simple just go on Newegg they cost about 7-10$ and ship real quick...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103097&cm_sp=Cat_Fans_%26%2338%3b_Heatsinks-_-Hot_Deals-_-35-103-097

That one would work..

I wouldn't run it without a working fan. Why take a chance. It's there for a reason. Right?

ibenhad said:
Simple just go on Newegg they cost about 7-10$ and ship real quick...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103097&cm_sp=Cat_Fans_%26%2338%3b_Heatsinks-_-Hot_Deals-_-35-103-097

That one would work..

I wouldn't run it without a working fan. Why take a chance. It's there for a reason. Right?

Thanks bro- I would agree, why chance it...so this one will work? The only thing I can tell from the sticker on the fan is that it's 12v and .11a

Even faster go to a computer parts store. Try to find out the CFM of the fan first since that is what matters in a cooling fan. Look for the quietest one with the proper CFM spec, and you should be good.

GuitarGuyLP said:
Even faster go to a computer parts store. Try to find out the CFM of the fan first since that is what matters in a cooling fan. Look for the quietest one with the proper CFM spec, and you should be good.

Good idea as well..Will see what they have here local...it is a quick easy fix...Thanks

I'd go for a "ball-bearing" fan rather than a "sleeve-bearing" fan if it were me - the $12 Newegg fan has a sleeve-bearing. A ball-bearing fan will be more expensive, but I think they are worth the extra dough.

A sleeve-bearing fan will work OK, but will not last as long as a ball-bearing fan due to its lubrication oil/fluid drying out much quicker than that in a ball-bearing fan. Over time, a ball-bearing fan will also be quieter, as a sleeve-bearing fan will get noisy as it ages (much quicker than a ball-bearing fan).

Latest posts