Dream Amps in a Module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okstrat said:
Remember, we're modding preamps, not entire amps. The power section on the MTS gear is kinda 'middle of the road' so they can get decent results with different types of preamps. .

Pete

Totally agree, Pete!

Anthony

as I wrote - without sure results, no promises, not so much expectations.
Yes thats right, for some amps is power section very important and they must play LOUD (Kuykendal somewhere in video says 120 dB is the best sound or something ;)
But so long ago EVERY amp played good only LOUD. And now is not so neccesary. We will see.....

okstrat said:
.....Oh, and a Dumble is totally doable - witness the COD from Egnater. That's what they are going after. Problem with Dumbles is, he didn't really have a 'set' amp - they varied all over the place. He'd borrow a guy's guitar to 'tune' the amp to it in several cases.
Pete
Hey Pete, Which module would you start with to emulate a Dumble Steel String Singer / Overdrive Special? The Ethos OD box is probably the most convincing imitation I've heard, so if it can be done electronically without tubes, then I have to believe it can be done with the MTS system.

I had a friend ask me about HiWatt to get that DGilmore tone...my first thought was that may be a sound that is power section dependent also (?)

For example Bruce Almighty was not succesfull with HiWatt module. waiting for another modder ;) If is possible of course....

surreal said:
How about a Trainwreck "express"

Could the modules handle this type of amp design ?????

3 position bright switch on the gain Knob.

They only have B/M/T and a Volume.

I think that is more what a Dream amp is. You could own most of the others you guys mention.

But a Real Trainwreck is like $30,000 !!!!

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/trainwreck/wreckxpr.pdf

hyenik said:
as I wrote - without sure results, no promises, not so much expectations.
Yes thats right, for some amps is power section very important and they must play LOUD (Kuykendal somewhere in video says 120 dB is the best sound or something ;)
But so long ago EVERY amp played good only LOUD. And now is not so neccesary. We will see.....

Manowar disagrees

George Jetson said:
okstrat said:
.....Oh, and a Dumble is totally doable - witness the COD from Egnater. That's what they are going after. Problem with Dumbles is, he didn't really have a 'set' amp - they varied all over the place. He'd borrow a guy's guitar to 'tune' the amp to it in several cases.
Pete
Hey Pete, Which module would you start with to emulate a Dumble Steel String Singer / Overdrive Special? The Ethos OD box is probably the most convincing imitation I've heard, so if it can be done electronically without tubes, then I have to believe it can be done with the MTS system.

I had an Ethos, nice pedal. Also had a brown note dumble clone, was interesting. The Dumble overdrive is mainly preamp - his amps were hot rodded fenders. Listen to the clips I have of the Mark series module, I think it can get into that territory. Early boogies and early dumbles had a LOT in common.

Hm, I may do a Dumble module now. Could do one with the boost and some of the other switches, no problem. Crap, stay tuned. This could be fun.

Pete

crankyrayhanky said:
I had a friend ask me about HiWatt to get that DGilmore tone...my first thought was that may be a sound that is power section dependent also (?)

Hasn't Gilmour always used a bunch of effects though? Pete Cornish fuzzes/overdrives and such?

Pete

Julia said:
Yes, that's correct Pete.

He probably has more $ in his Cornish pedals than his vintage amps... those things are expensive! I thought my Ethos pedal was a lot of money, some of that Cornish stuff gets awful close to a grand, and that's per pedal. His pedalboards are insane!

okstrat said:
I had an Ethos, nice pedal. Also had a brown note dumble clone, was interesting. The Dumble overdrive is mainly preamp - his amps were hot rodded fenders. Listen to the clips I have of the Mark series module, I think it can get into that territory. Early boogies and early dumbles had a LOT in common.
Hm, I may do a Dumble module now. Could do one with the boost and some of the other switches, no problem. Crap, stay tuned. This could be fun.
Pete
Hey pete, LMK if you need a donor module and don't forget the "ratio" pot for the RF sound. 8)

I was only making reference to the actual thread name "Dream Amps".

For most people Dreams are just that dreams - unobtainable!!!

Anyday you can usually find vintage Fenders / marshall 800's, plexi's , mesa's, orange's.

I would say dream amps are more of the "Trainwreck" , "Dumble" , "matamp" and Similar, thats all

You can buy/make clones of the Trainwreck express /liverpool /rockit. and put a PPIMV in them.

The MTS has a PPIMV !!!

One could argue that any Valve Amp needs to be played loud to be appreciated for what it is.

The relationship between the preamp and power amp and then the speaker breakup only available at high volume , which is what Valve amps are reverred for isn't it?

If anything was capable of that then an MTS should be a candidate.

surreal said:
You can buy/make clones of the Trainwreck express /liverpool /rockit. and put a PPIMV in them.

And it totally defeats the purpose of what they were meant to be and dilutes the original concept - and it doesn't sound as good as one without it. The best post phase inverter master volume for a trainwreck is a hotplate. :) I wired up a relay to a Weber Mass so I could footswitch a boost (boost would be unattenuated, unboosted was attenuated) and it actually worked pretty well. I ran it through a 1x12 that was pretty low spl though... through a good 4x12, There would have been waitresses stuck in the walls and people running for the door. :)

Pete

Yeah , but if you do turn it up full the PPIMV doesn't affect the circuit, or tone to any great degree. Or does it ????

With the MTS you can definately hear the difference when the master is full, and you control the volume from the Preamp modules volume.

Hey I'm not trying to argue was just making a tongue in cheek comment about Dreams amps, really.

Amps I dream about are the ones i can never afford or are in such limited limited supply they never come up for sale.

It's all cool, we're discussing, not arguing. :)

Turning up a PPIMV should be the same as a non master volume amp - *but* you're still going through some extra parts. And if you're going to run it on 10 all the time, why install it in the first place?

A trainwreck is just a really weird amp - awesome, don't get me wrong - but other than the amps that are meant to copy it like a Komet - it's pretty much one of a kind. I could see someone at Guitar Center thinking it was a piece of crap because the thing hits max volume around 4 and is sensitive as hell... after 4 it just compresses and gains up.

It's kinda like a Marshall Plexi and a Fender Twin - everyone should play through one just to have the experience, it's pretty awesome. (and no, I don't have a real wreck, but I posted clips of mine on Harmony Central a few years ago and Kuykendall said it was certainly in the ballpark).

Pete

surreal said:
Yeah , but if you do turn it up full the PPIMV doesn't affect the circuit, or tone to any great degree. Or does it ????

With the MTS you can definately hear the difference when the master is full, and you control the volume from the Preamp modules volume.

Hey I'm not trying to argue was just making a tongue in cheek comment about Dreams amps, really.

Amps I dream about are the ones i can never afford or are in such limited limited supply they never come up for sale.

I totally agree with you, most players would find a Trainwreck hard to handle.
I know i did when i bought a clone , then later had a PPIMV installed as it was useless for want i wanted it for, gigging Live.
Or i just couldn't get the best out of it .!!!

It now resides it my home studio gathering dust , only being played for a track here or there.

But it is a unique experience, and sound.

I just reckon that "Dream Amp" , probably means different things to different people.

At the Moment this LynchBox Head is a dream come true.

I bought it to replace my unreliable Marshall 6100lm for gigging.
And it's turning out to be a dream come true !!!!

okstrat said:

Hahahaha, Why do I suddenly get a Dr. Frankenstein kind of image in my head of you working on modules

....later at Dr. okstrat's secret castle laboratory
"It's alive,... ALIVE!!!!"

Has anybody thought about a module for one of the Dr. Z amps? I know his designs don't necessarily follow Fender/Marshall/Vox/Boogie circuits, and some of them use EF86 preamp and/or EL84 power tubes, so they might not fit the basic Randall philosophy. Just curious...

pyrotech said:
Has anybody thought about a module for one of the Dr. Z amps? I know his designs don't necessarily follow Fender/Marshall/Vox/Boogie circuits, and some of them use EF86 preamp and/or EL84 power tubes, so they might not fit the basic Randall philosophy. Just curious...

I know I certainly have. That would be a great one.