Foglifter/ MDA question.. another one

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapo_Polenton

Reaction score
I'd like to know not about which is "better" but rather, do they both add more detail and clarity or do they just add volume and brightness which some people might interpret as "clarity" ?

I have heard the values on the stock boards vary so much that the end results will depend upon your stock board. That said, all my Egnater MOD series amps benefited greatly from this inexpensive and easy to install modification.

The RM100 I have did improve a bit with the Foglifter. I can't say that it is brighter but I do have a more useful range on the depth and presence knobs.

It was worth it to me. I do like that you can turn it on and off with the MDA but I can't see why I would turn it off other than to A/B the two sounds. I like to set and forget.

Thanks guys.. I am pretty sure my Lynchbox had the corrected specs when I pulled the presence board so I am thinking maybe a transformer upgrade will be the way to go down the line. Or, I wait for the new synergy poweramps to come out. I really like the classic tone transformer I put in my 2204. It should in theory work in this amp as well but I might check with Rob first before I get too crazy..

Had to revive this thread, since I'm doing some experimenting with a couple of RM amps. I find there is actually some "life" missing within the power amp sections, including the rm 2:50. Compared to my M4 and VHT classic combo, the same modules in the Randall amps sound like toys, almost like a solid state amp. Adjusting the density and presence knobs does not mend the problem. Will the overall character of the power section change as well with these replacements?

Anyone been in a similar situation and have another non-randall power section as a reference, for comparision before and after the MDA/foglifter mod that is?

Only comparison I have is that I vastly preferred running into the loop of the Randall RM50 or RT2/50 as a power amp compared to trying to run modules into the FX return of my Dual Rectifier.

The Best combo I've heard (but not owned) was M4 running into a VHT 2/90 (might have been a 50...long time ago.)

VHT power amp is the shiznit.

I can say that the MDA board with the pot pulled is night and day different to stock but whether that's better than another power amp?

The Foglifter change is far more subtle but makes the controls more usable.....not sure exactly where it positions the values. Whether it's better, is again up to your ear.

There's a new Salvation MDA that has a better stock mode too...

JKD said:
Only comparison I have is that I vastly preferred running into the loop of the Randall RM50 or RT2/50 as a power amp compared to trying to run modules into the FX return of my Dual Rectifier.

The Best combo I've heard (but not owned) was M4 running into a VHT 2/90 (might have been a 50...long time ago.)

I can say that the MDA board with the pot pulled is night and day different to stock but whether that's better than another power amp?

The Foglifter change is far more subtle but makes the controls more usable.....not sure exactly where it positions the values. Whether it's better, is again up to your ear.

This is one opinion I appreciate dearly, darn might just take a shot at one of those new MDA boards then, thanks!

blacksun said:
JKD said:

This is one opinion I appreciate dearly, darn might just take a shot at one of those new MDA boards then, thanks!

Let me see if I can make a clip today with my RM50...will only be some power chords and stuff though, since I can't play anyway :)

Steve

blacksun said:
That would really great, would be even more helpful if you could A B it engaged and not!!

I did some playing, the A:B is a bit challenging because there's a jump in volume from IN - > OUT....have to equalize the volume.

Need more than 10 minutes to do this.

Latest posts