FYI Had some amp issues, resolved...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampoholic

Reaction score
So I had an issue with my amp (RM100C 2xEL34, 2x6L6) this weekend. I was jamming (loud) testing out a new modded module and it stopped. So I started trouble shooting, tried all modules, unhooked everything except guitar, made sure all power tubes were (apparently) online, replaced all the 12AX7s one at a time, tried a different cabinet and still nothing. Unplugged the footswitch and it worked. Plugged it back in and it worked, but the tone was weak, fuzzy and cut out like there was a bad noise gate on it. So I clean the ends with Limited Use Noxious Gas (LUNG) power and we?re back.

So I?m wondering what?s the best way to clean those ends? Don?t wanna spray junk into the chassis ya know. Would a better cable (than the one that came with it) help? Ideas?

But wait! That's not all. Tried it again yesterday and again it cut out. This time I got it to come back on with a different cabinet. So I plugged the other back in and was watching the tubes. Every time I strummed, the EL34s would dim dramatically. Then it cut out again. When I tried replacing the cable (amp to cab) I couldn't get the plug out of the cab. Found out that the insulator between tip and shaft failed (melted?) and shorted. So I have no idea what the load was on the amp, but it must have been quite a bit, never seen the tubes dim like THAT! This was my mistake, I had a pedal board cable kit and used it to make a short cable form amp to 4X12. Apparently that kit's plugs weren't rated for amp outputs!

Great amp though, it protected itself, didn't cause (obvious) damage. I will buy new power tubes and PI as these have been severely stressed.

PEACE!

Ampoholic said:
This was my mistake, I had a pedal board cable kit and used it to make a short cable form amp to 4X12. Apparently that kit's plugs weren't rated for amp outputs!
Yes, pedalboard cable kits are used to make instrument cables, and are definitely not to be used as speaker cables, as from what I read this can easily damage your output transformer before melting the shielding inside the improperly-used instrument cable . . .

And given that you said your cable has indeed melted inside, while your amp might appear to be functioning properly at the moment, you may in fact have damaged your transformer. To what extent I don't know, but you may want to take it to a tech, explain to him what happened and have him check it out.

Ampoholic said:
Apparently that kit's plugs weren't rated for amp outputs!
BTW - as far as I know it's not the plugs that make the difference, but rather the cable itself (shielded vs. unshielded) . . .

FYI - for a little enlightenment on this issue (although this particular document makes no mention of output transformer damage): http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=458