Getting a less compressed feel out of the XTC module?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awake77

Reaction score
I just picked up a used RM100M, and it came with 3 modules - Clean, Recto, and XTC. They all sound great, but I wish the XTC module didnt feel so 'stiff' and compressed - are there any mods I can do to this module to give it better dynamics?

It looks like it has some generic 12AX7's in it - would a tube swap be a good place to start?

depending on what tubes are in there, a tube swap might help. Getting it modded would probally help more.

thanks for the reply audioholic - I'm pretty handy with a solder gun and would like to try modding the modules myself. Is this forum the best resource to learn how to do that? Can you recommend any others?

Me

I just sent my stuff off to someone else if I need it modded, so I can't help ya there brotha. But some guys here are more handy with mod suggestions, so hang on, someone more qualified will step in

just curious, what speakers are you using with your setup?

Celestion G12M-70's in Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab...they sound really good if not a bit crispy. I'm planning to build a 1x12 soon so I can open the amp up a bit at home.

Kewl

I had a carvin V3 cab that was loaded with Gt12-75's, and my complaint was that the cab seemed to be more compressed sounding, but I attributed it to the speakers.

It's not so much a compressed sound but the 'feel' of the XTC module. I dont think its the cab - I run my Carvin V3 through the same cab and it feels very 'liquidy' for solos if you know what I mean.

The recto module also has a more dynamic feel to it...with the XTC module it just seems a little stiffer, not quite as immediate...

Im going to try swapping the tubes between the recto and XTC modules and see what happens!

Im going to have Pete do the full work up on it in a few weeks! Maybe that will smooth it out a bit.

Awake77 said:
Im going to have Pete do the full work up on it in a few weeks! Maybe that will smooth it out a bit.

The modded module is smoother..and he can add gain if you wish...changes the feel for sure...I had a switchable ....his more gain was too much for me and the less not quite enough..so I left the switch in more position mostly.

My favourite option was the mid-shift....very cool tone/feel...a little bit of scoopage/shift goes a long way