Identifying capacitor and resistor types? (PICS INCLUDED)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYDEMISE

Reaction score
I am checking to see what these different capacitor and resistor types are called. I have a hunch on some but want to verify what type they are. I left out orange drops, wima and ceramic disk (rusty color) as they are obvious. Thanks.

RM100 input cap similar to c3 on a module. What type is this? I am considering changing this to an orange drop of the same value?. Any suggestions on value or type to go with and why are welcome.
C4CCAPACITORRANDALL.jpg

Larger yellow Cap =?
yellowcapacitortype.jpg

Smaller yellow cap I think is tantalum?
tantalumcapacitortype.jpg

Ceramic covered cap?
coatedceramictype.jpg

tiny orange cap located behind the tube area (sometimes tiny yellow cap)
orangeceramiccoatedtypecap.jpg

Tiny blue cap behind the tube area?
smallbluecapacitortype.jpg

Larger blue cap (located near the faceplate)?
bluecapacitortype.jpg

Dark brown humped looking cap?
browncapacitortype.jpg

Reddish brown (oval) cap?
redishbrowncapacitortype.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tan resistor type?
Resistortype1.jpg

light blue resistor type (chalky /dull looking)?
blueresistortype.jpg

Brown resistor type?
brownresistortype.jpg

smaller shiny blue resistor type?
shinyblueresistor.jpg

The last resistor is a Carbon Comp .. the mythical things that do squat in a pedal but can deliver some mojo in a tube amp :)

The blue resistor is a 0.6 watt metal film one.
The beige/tan is 2 watt metal oxide if I'm not mistaken..

It's not much, but there ya go!
It's just a matter of time until one of the modders comes along and has some time to point them all out ;)

MYDEMISE said:
I am checking to see what these different capacitor and resistor types are called. I have a hunch on some but want to verify what type they are. I left out orange drops, wima and ceramic disk (rusty color) as they are obvious. Thanks.

Larger yellow Cap =? Mica
yellowcapacitortype.jpg

Smaller yellow cap I think is tantalum? Tantalum

Ceramic covered cap? Ceramic
coatedceramictype.jpg

tiny orange cap located behind the tube area (sometimes tiny yellow cap) Tantalum?
orangeceramiccoatedtypecap.jpg

Tiny blue cap behind the tube area? Mylar
smallbluecapacitortype.jpg

Larger blue cap (located near the faceplate)? Mylar
bluecapacitortype.jpg

Dark brown humped looking cap? Silver Mica
browncapacitortype.jpg

Reddish brown (oval) cap? Mylar? Hard to tell from pic
redishbrowncapacitortype.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tan resistor type? Carbon Film
Resistortype1.jpg

light blue resistor type? ?
blueresistortype.jpg

Brown resistor type? Carbon Composition
brownresistortype.jpg

A few are hard to tell, but if you go to an electronics website you should be able compare with their pics.

Thanks. How about the one in the RM100 amp? It is brownish red and does not look like the silver mica in shape. Possibly Mylar? Any suggestions on what type or value to put there? I want to put a mini toggle switch there so I can choose. Does anyone know what model number for a mini 3 way toggle to get and how to wire it to choose between 3 different caps?

Are all the resistors in the modules 1/2 watt?

The coupling cap in the amp by the V1 tube is a .1uf and looks like a mylar cap.

You could go with a .2uf for more bottom or a .047uf for a tighter/brighter sound, or a three way toogle and use all three might be a cool setup. space permitting.

I have left mine stook so far. let us know how it goes.

Any idea of what type of toggle to get? Where to buy said toggle? I see different types and am confused. Thanks

P.S.
I added another small shiny blue resistor to the list of unknown types pictured above.

1kv
I cant find this little yellow tantalum one anywhere? Does anyone know where to buy these?

Or these. (I think its mica or tantalum?)

yellowcapacitortype.jpg

Just ordered a bunch of stuff at mojo tone and talked to the guy 2 times. They don't have the tantalum like that and the only mica is silver
. Anywhere else? Mouser has crappy pics and for someone like me I would need to see a pic or talk to someone to make sure it is the correct thing. I called a few places with no luck or help that assumes you already know about these things. I looked up a conversion chart and I think the tantalum is a tantalum picofarad value capacitor but even the guy at digikey electronics did not know what 471 kv / 1kv stood for so I am at a loss? lol