Tonal differences tanatalum / ceramic / ceramic covered?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MYDEMISE

Reaction score
Just wondering about the differences in capacitor tonal changes between the rusty looking brown ceramic / ceramic covered (orange in color) / tantalum (yellow). If the same position were changed to one of these 3 types what would the outcome be tonally? Is one smoother than the other. Are the rusty looking ones only used because they are cheap? I see these rusty looking ceramic caps in alot of guitars stock and I have changed them to orange drops with a positive result. I am not even sure if orange drops are made in the same smaller values as the small ceramic /tantalum?

Have a hard time thinking they would make to big of a difference, considering that they just dump highs to ground. The signal going to the amp does not go threw them. Ceramics cap i think i read r more susceptible to picking up noise than other types. I'm sure that having a tone control at all probably dumps a little highs to ground. the difference in value due to tolerance could give you an impression of a difference in tone.

nomad100 said:
Have a hard time thinking they would make to big of a difference, considering that they just dump highs to ground. The signal going to the amp does not go threw them. Ceramics cap i think i read r more susceptible to picking up noise than other types. I'm sure that having a tone control at all probably dumps a little highs to ground. the difference in value due to tolerance could give you an impression of a difference in tone.

They might have a different cut-off between what frequencies are and are not let trough to ground.
A tone knob in a guitar gives a tonal change because there is a potmeter in between which acts as (ver slightly) as a capacitor (look at a picture of a pot's guts and you'll see why).
In modules there is no knob/pot, there is a switch, so with it off it's like there is no switch and cap there, thus no change whatsoever to the sound.

m0jo said:
nomad100 said:

They might have a different cut-off between what frequencies are and are not let trough to ground.
A tone knob in a guitar gives a tonal change because there is a potmeter in between which acts as (ver slightly) as a capacitor (look at a picture of a pot's guts and you'll see why).
In modules there is no knob/pot, there is a switch, so with it off it's like there is no switch and cap there, thus no change whatsoever to the sound.

Actually, the cut-off freq will be about the same from cap to cap. The variances will be in the tolerance, dielectric, quality, and any resistor in series or parallel, to the cap.

Potentiometers are actually variable resistors. Caps are used on guitar pots to form a low-pass filter (tone) and high pass filter (volume). The high-pass "bleeds" high freqs into your guitars output, so it doesn't get too dull/dark as you turn the volume down.

SacredGroove said:
m0jo said:
nomad100 said:

Actually, the cut-off freq will be about the same from cap to cap. The variances will be in the tolerance, dielectric, quality, and any resistor in series or parallel, to the cap.

Potentiometers are actually variable resistors. Caps are used on guitar pots to form a low-pass filter (tone) and high pass filter (volume). The high-pass "bleeds" high freqs into your guitars output, so it doesn't get too dull/dark as you turn the volume down.
That's not what I meant, I means the curve might be different.
Ie. a sharp drop or a more subtle curve.

I know what pots are, come on man are you kidding me?
But pots act as a tone dulling element, just like a long cable does.
This is why people sometimes use higher value pots to get more high-end.

Also I meant not the working of a tone pot, but the fact that wether there is a tone pot in the circuitry or not will affect the sound.
I actually ripped all tone pots out of my guitars, it leaves more high end there for me to enjoy. :)

You're still describing the physical properties of the cap, what MYDEMISE was asking is what effect do these properties have on tone?