Kasha Quickmod

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used on of these? It looks like a great way to hotrod my hotrodded modules?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYd16WCVrDo

"Hold on...let me put the amp on standby before I rip this preamp tube out of the socket...." :shock:

Totenkampf said:
interesting, lets daisey chain ten together!

:lol: Totally thought that right away too! :lol:

We gear addicts think alike. You could literally make any amp infinite tube gain stages.

I can see the sig now...

Mattfig said:
Totenkampf said:
interesting, lets daisey chain ten together!

:lol: Totally thought that right away too! :lol:

We gear addicts think alike. You could literally make any amp infinite tube gain stages.

I can see the sig now...

to my knowledge, the most gain stages are on a 5153. I think it has 6 or 7 preamp tubes.... wait... I take that back.... The infamous "fucking ******" had 23 tubes.... And it sounded like it should have been called "Sounds like ***".

Oh man, I have one of those soldano hot rod tube thingies. It didn't fit on the modules. I didn't think to try it as V1 in the amp. That might rule. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

guitarzan said:
Oh man, I have one of those soldano hot rod tube thingies. It didn't fit on the modules. I didn't think to try it as V1 in the amp. That might rule. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.

Oh cool! Seems the amp input is probably the best location for that sweet little gizmo...Can't wait to hear how that works!!!

Kasha makes great stuff, I've used to use a Rockmod II in my rack days, probably the best tones I ever had.

Looks like a really cool idea I noticed a slight to moderate change in the amps sound but you'd probably get alot more having the amp actually modded.. and Jesus isnt the preamp still on when the standby is on???? I would shut the whole amp down before pulling a hot tube straight outa the socket!
-MP-

The Kasha is a genuine modification that people pay good money to have done to their amps...The concept is that it is simple, reversible, and a more tubes inline...

Come to think of it, there will be a promo very soon and no- I will NOT be ripping any tubes outta their sockets...I will gently massage them back in to the soothing tones of Air Supply...

Soldano had an identical product years ago, but housed in a tube. Not a bad idea, but there are two problems:

1: Most guitarists typically equate the quantity of tubes in an amp directly with the number of gain stages being used. Not always at all the case, as many amps have 2-3 channels and use various tubes for different channels or the loop. Rarely does any gain channel use more than 2 - 2.5 12AX7's.

and then there is always my favorite....

2: There is a point of diminishing returns with cascading gain stages. More is not always more and it will become detrimental at a point. This is one of the funniest things to explain to players and it always makes think of Spinal Tap going to 11. About 90% of guys just can't wrap their heads around the possibility that more isn't always better.

Jaded Faith said:
Soldano had an identical product years ago, but housed in a tube. Not a bad idea, but there are two problems:

1: Most guitarists typically equate the quantity of tubes in an amp directly with the number of gain stages being used. Not always at all the case, as many amps have 2-3 channels and use various tubes for different channels or the loop. Rarely does any gain channel use more than 2 - 2.5 12AX7's.

and then there is always my favorite....

2: There is a point of diminishing returns with cascading gain stages. More is not always more and it will become detrimental at a point. This is one of the funniest things to explain to players and it always makes think of Spinal Tap going to 11. About 90% of guys just can't wrap their heads around the possibility that more isn't always better.

The Soldano product was also discussed briefly today. Not an area I wish to touch. Kasha patented this idea in the early 90s I believe...
Anyway, are you saying that there are no JF mods that would benefit from this device? I am lucky to be in the 10% of people that can wrap their heads around the gain concept but would still like to put it to the test.

I'm not saying there are no benefits at all, just that more isn't always more. If you try it and like it then there are most certainly benefits! That's the beauty of gear, it's a subjective experience unique to each of us.

I agree with Rob that more isn't always better. That's why I'm not so sure how it will benefit the MTS amps because my high-gain mods have more than enough gain. Heck, I keep the gain at noon or 1 o'clock on the real high gainers. That said, I can see some benefits on some more traditional amps.

I do wonder how this differs tonally from the Soldano Hot Mod. Soldano used an adapter to convert a 12AX7 to a 6K11, which is basically 2 sided tube to a 3 sided tube. Soldano said it was "based upon the proprietary "Kontrolled Klipping" circuit found in the world famous Soldano SLO100". The Kasha product adds an extra 12AX7 (you remove one and plug in the box with two tubes), which in theory replaces 2 sided tube with 4 sides for gain staging.

The other issue with the Soldano is that it only worked on single channel master volume amps, otherwise the volume would go crazy. Kasha's has its own Pre & Post Gain knobs which would allow you to control the noise. Again, we'll have to see it in action to hear the benefits. It would be interesting to see a video comparing the Hot Mod to the Quick Mod in a widely accepted amp (Fender or Marshall) to really hear/see the difference.

Agreed...More is obviously not better or gain-based amps would have 100 tubes...But this device is about tone- not just gain...I am excited to hear it on MTS as it seems to kill on cleans, mids, and gains...I've heard it with an old Gibson amp, an Atlas, Matchless and a few plexis and it sounded different on each....

It's not a gain boosting thing only although that is part of the equation...

Jaded Faith said:

Huh... more isn't always better???

I can't wrap my head around it :p

I'm buying THREE!!! LOL

H