M4 arrives....finally

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary
You're right about the spacing on the midi buddy. There's no way I'm going to be able to hit those in a live setting while singing etc.

So, do you create the patches on the xpression? Do the FX (delays, reverb,etc) spill over to next patch?

Thanks to all!

ImNoShredder said:
So, do you create the patches on the xpression? Do the FX (delays, reverb,etc) spill over to next patch?
quote]

Yes, I have programmed a bunch of presets on the Xpression...and of course I have programmed my RM4 to change channels accordingly as well. If you've been using stomp boxes all this time, you're going to love stepping on just one MIDI pedal and having your effects and amp channels change simultaneously.

The effects can indeed spill over from one patch to the next if you program them that way, but I have intentionally programmed my Xpression NOT to spill over. I'm trying to remember why I did that...I think when I was first programming the unit, I read in the manual something to the effect that if you enable the spill over, then the effects parameters from the previous patch carry forward and (temporarily)override those of the new preset -- and I did not want that. I'd recommend you download the Xpression's manual from the Rocktron site and read up on it. Anyway, despite the fact that I get no spill over benefit from the unit, I still think the Xpression is the best thing going in its price range.

The phaser to me is the unit's best effect, though it sounds different than a Boss phaser...I have even programmed a couple phaser patches to simulate wah wah effects. On the other hand, I think the Xpression's flanger is kind of weak....I have actually resorted to using the phaser when I need a flanger-type effect.

Gary

As far as MIDI foot controllers go, I really like the DMC Ground Control stuff. The big Pro version is nice, but the older small version is fine for me and they are cheap on eBay. The thing I like about the DMC for use with Egnater/Randall is that they have a "bank 4" mode where switches 1-4 on the bottom row of the controller can be easily set to correspond to channels 1-4 of your preamp. Then the top row of 6 switches can be set to send MIDI CC messages to activate/deactivate certain effects in the Rocktron (eg turn on/off delay, chorus, reverb, etc)...so that way you have on/off control of your delay/modulation effects within each preset.

Also, the Rocktron FX units can send phantom power via a 7-pin MIDI cable to power the DMC Ground Control units. I have the 7-pin cable going from the DMC to the Rocktron, then another MIDI cable from Rocktron to the Egnater preamp, and one more MIDI cable from the preamp to the RT 2/50 power amp as I like to use channels 1-2 on the preamp with the 6L6 chanel 1 on the power amp, and channels 3-4 on the preamp with the EL34 channel 2 on the power amp. The switching between all these units is seamless...it can sure take a while to get everything configured and working the way you want it, but I could never go back to tap-dancing on a bunch pedals and amp footswitches!

On the preset spillover...yes, like goldsparkletop said, it is a little limiting in that if you enable it for a preset, the next preset you switch to will inherit the delay/reverb-related settings of the previous preset. I know I was a little bit confused by this behavior at first! But once you see what it is doing, you can configure the presets to make it work for you. The main thing I like it for is that I use a mid-long delay on some lead sounds, and the delay tail can spillover and not get cut off when I switch back to a rhythm sound with no delay.

Hope that helps!

Tommy
Are you using presets? If so, how? If not, how are you using the FX?
I've got until the 12th (next dates) to get what I need and figure out how this is going to work....

Yes and no. I think the programs that come written on these types of unit try to do to many things. I usually use a little chorus for certain sounds, clean etc. and I always have delay on. In my case I have a program or several for each song and then next to my set list I just write which patch number is for what song. I use a LOT of patches in a night, but I have several "stock" ones that I use for a wide range of songs with a small amount of delay @ 333 ms as well.

I think the only advice I could give you is to find a couple of patches where the levels sound good, tweak the parameters a little and copy them where you want them to be. Example, cool chorus patch on #78 and cool delay patch is on #42. Move them (use the copy function, and as mentioned download the manual to learn how to do this ahead of time) to program # 1 and #2. Match up the modules you want to the program # and repeat as necesary!