Metallica fans out there?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorgMetal666

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering what some of your impressions are of the new album. It certainly is a step up from their recent work, I like it better than Load, but it still doesn't seem to touch their first 5 albums. I've been focused on the guitar work, which isn't bad, but it seems like Kirk could do better on his leads in particular.

Also, is anyone seeing them live. I haven't had the privelege to see them in their prime because of my age, but they can probably still put on a killer show. I saw Maiden earlier this year, so I'm curious to see how they compare in terms of performance and quality.

Anyway share your thought guys

I picked up the album on a whim. Didnt even listen to it for a week. Plugged it in and was impressed. I am a HUGE old school Metallica fan from the old days and this is the best stuff they put out since Justice for all(I didnt like the black album)
Been playing in my car CD player for the past day non-stop. I give it a thumbs up. This is what I been waiting for. THRASH!!!
:D

Death Magnetic is really bad ***. I was so happy to hear Metallica actually putting a little effort in this one. Definitely an improvement from the past couple albums though.

Whats cool about the new album is the TONE. You can DEFINITELY hear the KH-2 and KH-3 being played.
Sounds KILLER OLD SCHOOL!! :twisted:

I am very happy with it. The last couple of albums have been pretty much turds with 1 or 2 decent songs. Every song on the new album rocks.

the new album has some great guitar tones and riffs. im not a huge fan of the lyrics or the way it is mixed and the snare drum still sounds a little strange to me sometimes. so, overall i think the guitar work is great but everything else is ok. definitely not as good as justice, puppets, or black though.

I played it non stop for weeks and annoyed the wife and kids silly :twisted:

I'm a little bored now but lots of stand-out songs on it, my top 3:

Broken, Beat and Scarred (the riff at 1:00 is brutal)
All Nightmare Long (LUCK! RUNS! OUT-AH!)
Judas Kiss

Do yourself a favour and download the GH-III mp3s though...it doesn't get rid of the annoyingly high mixed snare but the overall sound is better without the annoying clipping/harshness of the CD. There are certain passages not even or barely heard on the CD.

tonymustang302 said:
<----still not going to buy it. I still don't kow about them, i have every single album up til St.anger, and still dont know if i'll buy the new one.

Do what I always do...download it, try it...then buy if you like it...delete it of not...no guilt here :D

I threw St. Anger away the day I bought it. There was nothing creative or inspiring in that album what so ever. If you like listening to the loudest, most crappy snare sound in the world for 50 min. St. Anger is right up your alley.

krazyhick2 said:
I threw St. Anger away the day I bought it. There was nothing creative or inspiring in that album what so ever. If you like listening to the loudest, most crappy snare sound in the world for 50 min. St. Anger is right up your alley.

Haha yea...I downloaded a clip that was suppost to be a pre release of the new album and it was a guy hitting a steel chair poking fun at lars' snare tone on st. anger.

metallica has came back from the piss popland and given the goods....

very impressive

I am still rocking it these days. Still sounds fresh from the last load of crap they put out in the last 10 years. Love the riffs they are doing. Thats how it should be. Kirk has some killer solos on this album as well.

Better than St Anger. I couldnt get past the horrible production on St Anger long enough to listen to the songs. Is there anything good on that one? :lol: The lyrics suck balls on D M. This I swear...This I swear... This...I...Swear! And Im sorry but I dont like the tones either.

DM is ok at best .. i was impressed at first , but that wore thin fast ... the production guitar tones sound like their trying to compete with these "new" metal bands ..which all suck imo ... and people totally misunderstand the msg behind St.anger ...and the production...well ...that's debatable ..but it was a breath of fresh for me... nothing soounds like it ..which is good for me .... i enjoy st.anger as complete album ... i trully don't think people will catch up to this album for another 10 yrs ... st.anger = raw emotion DM= bland metallica formula metal ...

metallica still rocks ...
LIVE IS BEST

this is my opinion not yours
cheers
massive metallica fan

In The Day that never comes....about 6:12-6:28 is the exact same thing as the "meow meow" song. A locol radio station put the meow meow song with that part and it was a perfect match. LoL

I thought Death Magnetic was a step in the right direction for Metallica. I have every album up to the Black album, as well as S&M and Unforgiven II. I didn't like St. Anger that much; a few songs like Frantic were ok. there were also a few songs on load and reload that were pretty good. but nothing has surpassed . . . And Justice For All and back.

My favorite song on the album is probably Suicide and Redemption; first instrumental we've seen in a while. the way i see it, there are about two major factors that make for a good Metallica album:

1) at least one Instrumental.
2) guitar solos

yes, there are other factors, but those are two common themes in Metallica's greatest albums.

my other favorite songs on the album are, in order: Judas Kiss, That Was Just Your Life, All Nightmare Long, and Unforgiven III, but i like everysong on it.

just a little side note; did anyone notice this interesting pattern. the fourth track on four of Metallica's albums has four main parts.

1) a clean intro with a solo
2) a clean verse
3) a heavy chorus
4) a heavy interlude/solo/outro

these four songs are:

1)Fade To Black; Ride the Lightning
2)Welcome Home (Sanitarium); Master of Puppets
3)One; . . . And Justice For All
4)The Day That Never Comes; Death Magnetic

i thought that was kinda interesting.

also, a note concerning The Day that never comes. it has been my experience that watching the music video really helps understand the meaning of the song. so if you listen to the song and think the lyrics suck w/o watching the vid, then try watching the vid. if you still think they suck, then that is your opinion; no one can complain about that. but they can still suck and have meaning. i personally think the lyrics are good.

sorry this post is kinda long; i tried spacing it out so its easier to read. and once i start on a subject, it's hard to stop. but i am a big Metallica fan. i want to see them live b4 they stop playing. i wish i could've been to their . . . And Justice For All tour, in like '86 or '88, i forgot which. i'm jealous that my dad got to see it. but i'm sure i will see my share of great concerts too. i'm hoping to go to the Mayhem Festival in August. but we'll see how that turns out.

sorry again for the length.

Death Magnetic is one of the best Metallica records in a long time. It seems like all the guys wanted to get back to their roots and play some straight in your face metal. St Anger was a big disappointment to me IMO they were all over the wrong place on that record. Hopefully they will return to the top of the metal heap on the next record.