mr. scary Ultra XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterOf1Angel

Reaction score
Hi, I want to know why the difference between mr. scary etc and the warm articulate sound and the ultra xl and the saturation but cold harsh?
Why isn't there one with both? I turn down the xl and it sounds crappy, and at max the scary/1086 etc. with the good tone doesn't get all saturated like the xl. Why is the xl's voicing cold and inarticulate? Is it because of all the gain? is there a way to add about 25% gain to the other mods? What's the difference?

I've had the same experience; looking for the feel of the XL with a warmer tone. I had the good fortune of playing thru a bunch of modules last weekend (thanks to JadedFaith) and the Pete-modded XTC nailed the tone and feel I was looking for. These are the modules I've played:
Stock: 1086, KH3, Mr Scary, Ultra XL, Ultra Lead, Grail
Pete Modded: Grail (red & orange), XTC

I've got a bias toward Marshalls (and 5150s) and the modded XTC really did it for my taste and style. The only other lead module I'd like to play is a modded SL+; both Pete and Dave mods get rave reviews on here.

Tubes make a difference too. I'm running a pair of 6L6's on outside and 34L's inside (RM100). I was running all 6L6's and found that the 34L's add punchier/crunchier mids at higher volume.
Hope this helps.

If you're not getting the gain/saturation but like the tone of a module....this is exactly why you might add a clean boost or mild overdrive out front...quicker, cheaper and more flexible than modding a module IMO.

JKD said:
If you're not getting the gain/saturation but like the tone of a module....this is exactly why you might add a clean boost or mild overdrive out front...quicker, cheaper and more flexible than modding a module IMO.
+10000!!
Just run the level full on the OD and have the gain SLIGHTLY on the pedal and it will make that module sound like it just shot up on Steroids!!
Original tone of the module with the BOOSTING EDGE of the OD Pedal. 8)

I'd like to do it without any pedals. Right now I run straight one cable into the amp with no pedals or effects and the tone is so great but as soon as I add another cable or pedal, the amp loses some of its immediacy. I"m happy with the 1086's tone - it's great. I just need that in an xl or ultra. the xl and ultra is a bit thin and less articulate.

MasterOf1Angel said:
I'd like to do it without any pedals. Right now I run straight one cable into the amp with no pedals or effects and the tone is so great but as soon as I add another cable or pedal, the amp loses some of its immediacy. I"m happy with the 1086's tone - it's great. I just need that in an xl or ultra. the xl and ultra is a bit thin and less articulate.

Hmmm i find the Ultra to be more articulate that my 1086, what tubes are you running in the modules. I generally have to boost the 1086 to get it to be more articulate, with the Ultra It has so much gain that it on its own just crushes. IMO!

Try running your pedals into a bypass box or something, may help your tone issue. I have tried the RM100 without anything in the line, just a cable and Honestley I can barely hear a tonal difference at higher levels, at low levels yes, maybe some what.

D

it's funny, I was just offered a pete xtc just now by a nice board member. I heard and love the lead tone but how about the rythm, can it get heavy and agressive like the ultras but with more balls and articulation or am I off there? (I've never heard a real xtc but the one I have is all compressed and only good for leads)

TheHunter said:
MasterOf1Angel said:

Hmmm i find the Ultra to be more articulate that my 1086, what tubes are you running in the modules. I generally have to boost the 1086 to get it to be more articulate, with the Ultra It has so much gain that it on its own just crushes. IMO!

Try running your pedals into a bypass box or something, may help your tone issue. I have tried the RM100 without anything in the line, just a cable and Honestley I can barely hear a tonal difference at higher levels, at low levels yes, maybe some what.

D

We must have differing opinions or ears. Maybe we're just using different language because my 1086 is very articulate even with the gain boost to the left.

As for the ultra xl, the XL sounds just kind of stock and a bit genericto me when you turn down the distortion. When you have the distortion up, It thickens up the tone a bit but still isn't what it could be imo.

I'm not sure I'm even explaining what I mean because I don't know myself, I just hear it. When you turn down the distortion, it loses it's balls and complexity and warmth. What I'm wondering is why? Imagine If we could get it to sound awesome with less distortion, imagine how awesome it'd sound maxed. SCREEAAAAA! ROOOOMMP!!!!

- Know what i mean? ;)

The XTC modded or stock is a lead monster, but for rhythms you may want to look elsewhere...it'll do some chunky stuff well, but that''s not it's forte

If it's the XTC on the classifieds right now, it's pretty much stock with more clarity, warmth and a bit more gain. Don't compare it to the youtube vids I did, because they are totally different animals.

Pete

Pete would you say the 'full package' XTC mod has a more dynamic feel to it than the stock module? I really like to tone of the XTC, especially your clips of the modded version, but it feels so compressed and not all that 'liquid' for solos and whatnot.

okstrat said:
If it's the XTC on the classifieds right now, it's pretty much stock with more clarity, warmth and a bit more gain. Don't compare it to the youtube vids I did, because they are totally different animals.

Pete

Oh dang, I just bought it. :( That's what I figured it was since the tube vid says "gain mod" and this one said "more gain"
I guess the search continues. I'd love to have Pete get me there. Any suggestions?

Latest posts