MTS rack, more reliable than RM100?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My RM4 sounds incredible when using my Uberschall as a power amp. Heavy as hell and not an easy gig setup but it does sound awesome. I don't have an RT2/50 to compare it to.

Rade,
to get this all back in focus (this thread seems to have wandered, a bit..)
I,also wanted a more convenient setup..and looked into the Mesa 20/20...which seems quite cool, but it was almost twice as expensive (acc to ebay, and a google search I did) and not as versatile (cant switch tubes If i remember correctly)..
I decided to just deal with the 1 extra space in my rack..and the weight issue...
..and I have had great tone ever since. Never had a bad night with it..ever.

GtrGeorge

Yeah the RT2-50 seems like a good option.
Right now the RM100 is back at the repairer. Apparently most of the trouble's coming from cold solder joints from the way the machine made it at the factory. Wave soldering or something.
Its' already had some re-soldering done, but there must be a lot more.

The RM100's already heavy enough! I think if I had a rack I'd just keep it at home. How much heavier is it than the RM100? If you just have an RM4 and RT2-50?

m0jo said:
But it's old stuff.. so I hope it's still in the plans.
Jeff's description in that last topic makes it look like a winner though:

Single rack spaced stereo and bridged mono. 30 watts a side 60 mono. Loaded with 2 pair of 5881's, presence, density, High low power switch and standy on each channel, so if one side goes down you can still use the other. Will accommodate 5881, 34's and 6v6. No 6550, or KT's. When in mono you can use dissimilar tubes so you can load the amp with a pair of 5881's and a pair of 34's like a tube mix knob, without the knob. Thats it. No room for anything else.

Stereo and bridged mono mode with different tube types .. perfect.
No channel switching, but with mixed tubes that's not a real downside.
Also, 1u and fullsize tubes! No EL84 nonsense :) (no offence ;) )
I'm so hoping they release this stuff, it will make them king of the hill!

This would be in my opinion perfect. I have been wanting a stereo 20-30 watt power amp that runs on big bottle tubes (34s, 6L6, etc). Can't go wrong with it being 60 watts mono either for bigger venues. Even though Jeff is not with Egnater anymore I would think Jeff would be able to make this? Or maybe tell us if it crashed and burned due to space/schematic/tone/noise issue.

Anyone tried using a THD Uni-/ Bi-valve or Jet City Pico Valve as a power amp?

Or for that matter, Atomic's new Reactor 50/50?

atomic-products-stereo-power-amp.jpg

The website says it ships with 6L6s "and works with a range of replacements including EL34" (implying it can take more than those two types) but the manual only says "The power section is built to work with any properly biased 6L6 or EL34 tube".

http://www.atomicamps.com/Document/Reactor_50-50_Manual.pdf

Hamner1 said:
I have been wanting a stereo 20-30 watt power amp that runs on big bottle tubes (34s, 6L6, etc).

What I would first want to see are the measurements of those big bottles and how much room they would have in a single 19" space

Got my RM100 back and it seems to be fixed this time. Hope it stays that way. It's good to have it back.
So won't be going rack for a while.
Thanks for your help folks. :D

I wonder if the MTS heads and combos seem less reliable because we're in there swapping power tubes (and thus putting physical strain on the circuit boards and connections) much more often than we would with a head, combo or power amp that only accepts one or two tube types so we don't change them until they die.