MTS versus Dual Recto

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonymustang302, be real interested to hear what you think as you now own both amps I am considering

tonymustang302 said:
I said f-it and bought a dual rec Head..... JKD u want first dib's if i dont like it?

Nah, my Recto days are over...mebbe a Roadster one day if I ever get tired of my RM50 ;)

enuenu said:
tonymustang302, be real interested to hear what you think as you now own both amps I am considering

My honest opinion:

The RM100 is the best amp on the market. The 1086 is the best module i've ever heard period. I boosted mine with a custom OD pedal and OMG, my tone was found.

Randall's attempt at the recto tone is ok, but it's not a true recto. I think you have to have a recto, to get the recto tone. I don't care what anyone say's, I am SUPER picky about tone, and the recto does the recto.

If you want a recto, get a recto, if you want versatility, get the RM100. I think you will be happy with the 1086. Boost it, and you will be in heaven. I played My Rm100 with the 1086 and within 4minutes, i bought it. Didn't care how much, I just said i must have it.

There is a reason that sooo many band's use Mesa, their stuff is awesome. When i hear a perfectly dialed in mesa, i melt. But....the Rm100 is the MOST underrated/overlooked amp i've ever come across.

I just got the dual rec today, and wont practice til tom. It's a early recto ( the good/ brutal ones ) so i can't wait to dick with it.

And here it is.. ( in the back of my girlfriends car )

DSC01055.jpg

tonymustang302 said:
uh-oh...i just played it..... bad news for randall... :(

They're wonderful amps if you want those tones....but the Randall has it beat for flexibility.

Still considering both and yet to play the Randall (still waiting for my shop to get one). Flexibility is a massive plus, being able to play a Plexi and Recto inb one amp is VERY desirable. However I don't want to sacrifice any of the evil savagery of downtuned power chords. If there is one tone I must have, that is it. No compromises on that score.

enuenu said:
Still considering both and yet to play the Randall (still waiting for my shop to get one). Flexibility is a massive plus, being able to play a Plexi and Recto inb one amp is VERY desirable. However I don't want to sacrifice any of the evil savagery of downtuned power chords. If there is one tone I must have, that is it. No compromises on that score.
The chunky power chord sound is what drags us all to the Dual Rec tone like moths to a flame. I know your doubts and concerns that something that doesn't have a Mesa name badge on the front can give a similar chunk, but the Randall can and is more versatile. I feel you decision making agony cause I've been there, but where else can you get a Plexi and Recto and Vox or Blackface, SLO and Hotrodded JCM800 in the same valve amp? That is where this amp shines. My decision, was to have an extremely versatile amp for recording, and the RM100 delivers. I don't miss my old amps at all. I can get the tones I need from the RM100. You won't be disappointed. Cheers

Thanks Smokey. You really nailed the fears involved in straying from Mesa that I have, and allayed them.

enuenu said:
Thanks Smokey. You really nailed the fears involved in straying from Mesa that I have, and allayed them.

If i was you... i would get a egnater e-rect module. The guy told me it's what the recto is suppost to sound like.

I dunno cuz i never tried it. But the recto sounds sick.

enuenu said:

How far down do you go?

My Schecter Hellraiser (EMGs)is tuned to D and it sounded ungodly heavy with the Grail ..... through the ENGL VIntage Pro 4x12 (v30s) I had it was truly frightening...my Randall cab has a couple of G12H30s and a couple of v30s and it's rear loaded so has less clarity and punch but a much denser overall sound.....evil :twisted:

I didn't like the treadplate at all.

See the thing about my rectifier is, i've never gotten my randall to sound this heavy and mean. I'm still learning how to dial it in. And when I stop playing..DEAD QUIET... No hissing, squeeling, nothing. When playing seperate notes it sounds full, i always thought the randall sounded "fake" and thin.

If you are going to do anything, get the 1086 modded and a e-rect. The 1086 is the best module when boosted. I have a ESP eclipse tuned to drop A and it sounded soooo badass with the 1086 boosted with my bloody murder pedal. I mean, the pedal brought it to the next level. All you need is the 1086.

And again, i would highly rec. nothing but bodenhamer-electronics.com Bloody Murder pedal. It's sick.

tonymustang302, your experience with the Recto confirms the niggling doubts I had about the ability of an RM100 to out muscle a Recto. These doubts were based only on You Tube clips and I concede I am yet to hear an RM100 in the flesh, so I am definitely reserving judgement. Not bagging this amp on its own forum as either way both amps are definitely A-grade. However its more like a Ferrari versus Porsche debate, you can't go wrong either way but they are different animals.

think of it this way, if you should tire of the recto it'll cost alot more for something different, randall is about 200 and you have a brand new amp (hypothetically) with the ability to mod and customize into what you 've always been after. at least thats how i look at these days :wink:

Someone commented to me that as the volume of an MTS is turned up the tone of the power amp will start to dilute the effect of the preamp modules. Thus the tone of the amp is not as variable as you might at first think (especially at higher volumes) as all modules go through the same power amp and the power amp colours the tone a lot. Is this a valid point? I have been hunting down an MTS in my city to try without luck as yet, looks like I will have to drive 100 miles to the big(ger) smoke to hear one first hand.

I have an Egnater m4 with a Randall rt2/50 and it sounds better when I turn it up. It doesn't get to the sweet spot sound Til 3oclock on the m4 and anything past 9 o'clock on the amp.

lets say you get a recto- you get a clean , a mid gain and a high gain. there is only one of each of those channels on that amp. randall has about 8 of each at least that sound as good or better than the actual amp. and i don't think any amp out there has as much headroom as an rm100

maximus1 said:
lets say you get a recto- you get a clean , a mid gain and a high gain. there is only one of each of those channels on that amp. randall has about 8 of each at least that sound as good or better than the actual amp. and i don't think any amp out there has as much headroom as an rm100

The recto eq'ing is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from ANY OTHER AMP. You have to read the manual to understand how each (gain,low,mid,high,presence) effect each other and how to get the tone you want. It's not just....oh i want less mids....turn the knob, or, i want less treble.

I will say right now, that after playing the mesa for 2 weeks straight, i plugged into my randall mid practice last night. Got a lovable tone outta my ultra and think it will stay on top of my 4x12 for a while.