MTS versus Dual Recto

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a NOS RM100C without any modules, so it didn't reach A$1000. I had absolutely no problems. Customs let it straight through and I wasn't charged anything.

Thanks. Maybe then the way to go would be to get it in two shipments. Head then modules.

What does NOS mean?

Also thinking of combining RM100 with a Mesa Recto slant cab. Wondering if anyone knows dimensions of the RM100B heads? The Recto straight cab is 76cm x 36cm at the top so I guess the slant would be shallower on top, probably 76cm x say 27cm at a guess. Want to make sure the RM100 would perch on this cab OK.

Also found a deal here in Oz that includes a RA-412XC cab. Do you think this cab would kick as much arse as a Recto cab? I recently compared a recto cab cab with a Marshall 1960A cab powered by a JCM900. The JCM900 sounded a LOT better through the recto cab.

enuenu said:
Thanks. Maybe then the way to go would be to get it in two shipments. Head then modules.

What does NOS mean?

Also thinking of combining RM100 with a Mesa Recto slant cab. Wondering if anyone knows dimensions of the RM100B heads? The Recto straight cab is 76cm x 36cm at the top so I guess the slant would be shallower on top, probably 76cm x say 27cm at a guess. Want to make sure the RM100 would perch on this cab OK.

Also found a deal here in Oz that includes a RA-412XC cab. Do you think this cab would kick as much arse as a Recto cab? I recently compared a recto cab cab with a Marshall 1960A cab powered by a JCM900. The JCM900 sounded a LOT better through the recto cab.

That was probably more of a speakers that you liked more than the cab itself.
I've got a Randall cab, and while its not as nice as a Mesa cab its a great cab, especially for the price.

I don't know anything about that cab you're talking about though.
Are you sure its not the XL?
If so it has vintage 30s in it already.

Its a G3 series cab with 4 x V30s. I think the recto cab would be a lot better, even the Randall XL cabs would be a lot better than this cab. Just got to be sure the RM100 will fir on the recto cab. I would guess it would, but you know what can happen when you make assumptions.

It will fit with no prob.
I can measure mine tonight to rest your mind, but Recto cabs are quite large and my RM100 fits on both my cabs easily.

enuenu said:
Its a G3 series cab with 4 x V30s. I think the recto cab would be a lot better, even the Randall XL cabs would be a lot better than this cab. Just got to be sure the RM100 will fir on the recto cab. I would guess it would, but you know what can happen when you make assumptions.

It fits on a recto cab... i got one....looks awesome on top

I just picked up a used Dual Recto half stack in Australia. The RM100 is great, but it came down to a few things (in order of importance);

*The deal on the used Recto gear was good.
*Resale on Recto gear is good (especially in our limited market).
*If I import Randall from USA I get no warranty here (although I did get an OK deal on an empty head from bmusic.com.au, forget the modules though - $500+ each).
*I have read a lot of posts that talk of mysterious problems with their RM100, even new ones. Of course they sell a heap of these, but weird intermittent problems scare me.
*A friend has a friend who works in a large music shop that sells a lot of guitars & guitar rigs. I asked my friend if he could get me a quote on a RM100 rig. The information relayed back to me was that the shop has stopped stocking Randall gear because of ongoing technical problems with Randall gear generally. Sorry to be negative about a brand on its own forum. I concede that I may be the victim if disinformation, however the forum posts tended to cement the idea in my head.

In spite of these perceived problems, I would have given the Randall a go as the concept is awesome and the tones I have heard on clips sound great. However the main reason I passed on the RM100 at this stage was that I just stumbled on a good deal on a Recto rig. Thanks for all your input.

enuenu said:
I just picked up a used Dual Recto half stack in Australia. The RM100 is great, but it came down to a few things (in order of importance);

*The deal on the used Recto gear was good.
*Resale on Recto gear is good (especially in our limited market).
*If I import Randall from USA I get no warranty here (although I did get an OK deal on an empty head from bmusic.com.au, forget the modules though - $500+ each).
*I have read a lot of posts that talk of mysterious problems with their RM100, even new ones. Of course they sell a heap of these, but weird intermittent problems scare me.
*A friend has a friend who works in a large music shop that sells a lot of guitars & guitar rigs. I asked my friend if he could get me a quote on a RM100 rig. The information relayed back to me was that the shop has stopped stocking Randall gear because of ongoing technical problems with Randall gear generally. Sorry to be negative about a brand on its own forum. I concede that I may be the victim if disinformation, however the forum posts tended to cement the idea in my head.

In spite of these perceived problems, I would have given the Randall a go as the concept is awesome and the tones I have heard on clips sound great. However the main reason I passed on the RM100 at this stage was that I just stumbled on a good deal on a Recto rig. Thanks for all your input.

<shaking head at you>

IMHO i would have tried to find a 5150 in your area. Technical issues...you have to remember, out of all the amps out there, you are reading about a SMALL percentage of problems. I was over at the mesa boogie forum, their technical problem's are MUCH scarier then our's and much more post's about problems with mesa's.

U'll be back.....they always come back.... :twisted:

P.S. The recto is sitting in the corner, the RM100 has resumed its position on top of MY CAB.. I Found MY tone with the Ultra. Mesa cant come close to the delicious goodness i achieved with the RM100.

I have to get the Recto out of my system, it's something I kind of needed to find out about for myself I think or I would always wonder. I left the decision to fate to some extent, a good deal on a Recto popped up. If I am not happy I know where to go. The reported tech problems with RM100s coloured my thinking a bit, but this wasn't a major factor. I would have taken the plunge anyway. Selling a 240V Recto in Australia won't be too difficult if I ever wanted to.

well keep us up to date on how things are going, and WHEN you will be selling the recto for a RM100 :lol:

ANd MAKE SURE YOU BOOST THE RECTO. Get a maxon 808 or something to boost it. It sounds stupid not being boosted IMHO.

I hear a lot about boosting. I have an old Boss Super Overdrive pedal. I will do some research to work out the difference between boosting and overdriving/distorting.

Tony,

if you want the ULTIMATE HEAVY tone from the Randall, get Pete to Modify a 1086. No pedal needed.......it is the BEST HEAVY I have ever played thru. It is CRUNCH HEAVEN and when you flick the mid switch, it puts you in Megadeth "Holy wars" land DEAD ON!
Just my 2 cents and YES I did the MTS....sold everything.......bought a Botique amp......sold that.......bought another botique amp.....sold that and back to my Lynch box. It KILLS!!
We all come back!! With the tube Biasing module swapping killer tone.......Randalls RULE!! :D

tony- would you say randall recto is like the real thing? i would say no but can be dialed in similar but still like you said sounds stupid without the boost :twisted: i just put my boost in the paralell loop effect knob at 2 0 clock and it smokes, i love it but i've yet to play it at gig volume yet but this thing sounds about the same at any volume so i'm pumped

maximus1 said:
tony- would you say randall recto is like the real thing? i would say no but can be dialed in similar but still like you said sounds stupid without the boost :twisted: i just put my boost in the paralell loop effect knob at 2 0 clock and it smokes, i love it but i've yet to play it at gig volume yet but this thing sounds about the same at any volume so i'm pumped

Not even close to the real thing. I heard that the E-rect is what people want the dual rec's to be. When i play the dual rec for a while, i forget bout the randall, when i put the randall back on the half-stack, i fall in love all over, then i put the dual rec back on and it sounds sick. They both have what i want. That's why when i get more serious I will sell the 4x12, get 2 2x12's and run the 2 heads together. :twisted:

IMHO, i got my ultra dialed in closer to that mesa growl, and it sounds meaner then the mesa so thats why i will not part with the ultra since it's my new tone. I will however buy a pete modded 1086.

tonymustang302 said:
maximus1 said:

Not even close to the real thing. I heard that the E-rect is what people want the dual rec's to be. When i play the dual rec for a while, i forget bout the randall, when i put the randall back on the half-stack, i fall in love all over, then i put the dual rec back on and it sounds sick. They both have what i want. That's why when i get more serious I will sell the 4x12, get 2 2x12's and run the 2 heads together. :twisted:

IMHO, i got my ultra dialed in closer to that mesa growl, and it sounds meaner then the mesa so thats why i will not part with the ultra since it's my new tone. I will however buy a pete modded 1086.

Yes.........buy the Pete Modded 1086!!
going to CUT like a Knife!! Fricking INCREDIBLE!!!
later on...............

Dan :twisted:

I had my Pete modded Treadplate up against a Triple Rectifier.
The Randall is in the ballpark, but they are not as similar as a SL+ is to a TSL100. Regardless, the Triple Rectifier is a great chainsaw machine with huge bottom end, but I'm not sure if I would ever want to play leads on the amp....and the cleans are medicore at best- in fact the owner chose his line6 for clean tones in the studio :shock:

The Treadplate Red compared to the Mesa had a different mid voicing to my ears, not better or worse, just slightly different vibe...well the mesa is so scooped sounding. The Orange mod switch on the Treadplate is something to behold on lead playing- the Triple Rectifier simply could not get anywhere close to this tone.

I think if all I did was chunk chunk rhythms, I may like the Mesa, but it's versatility just seemed non existant. Even on my chunk chunk rhythms, I still enjoyed and chose the Treadplate for that day's recording, and the other people in the room were in agreement

YMMV of course

and if Mailman capitalizes any more posts praising the Pete 1086, I think I may explode from GAS-itis!