Need SL+ Tube Recommendation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rising Farce

Reaction score
I have a later (JCM 800-type) SL+ that came with JJ tubes. While I really like the module, its overall sound is a bit on the dark side. Is it possible to brighten it up some via a tube change, and, if so, what would you recommend? I'd prefer not to give up any gain, if possible.

Tung Sol's. That is what I am going back to after I get my Tweed module. I have tried the new production Mullards and the Tung Sols. I like the Tung Sols better in guitar pre amps. They have nice harmonics and color things in a good way. The Mullards are more flat or linear sounding. Just my 2cents.

Tung sols are great too, but I recommend the Chinese tubes because that's what Marshalls usually come with and it's what gives them that classic ROAR!!!! I recommend anyone who has a Marshally module to put those in it to give it that sound.

Just passing on research that I've accumulated from another site - highly recommended:

V1: Shuguang 12AX7

V2: Tung Sol

http://www.dougstubes.com/

Thanks for the info (and yes, that is quite a good site). At this point, however, I think I'm just going to save up and send the module to Voodoo for the "Jose UG" mod. For only $129, it looks tough to beat.

+1 on the Shuguangs and Doug's Tubes.

JJ's are dark sounding tubes, great for some modules (Recto / Treadplate) but not so much for others.

Latest posts