New SL+ demo

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredGroove

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a sample of new tune I'm working on.

SL+ w/ Wylde OD boost. Speaker is Framus 4x12 IR.
Super V into an Orange 4x12 IR.

The tone is OK, but I'm not totally happy with it. It seems too brittle at times and I think it's the speaker. I may have too much gain too? The only EQ I did was a HP filter at about 160.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754138&content=songinfo&songID=8119345

I'd lower the bass a little. Just a little. And if you think you might have too much gain, you do. The guitar does cut pretty well, though.

The only EQ I did was a HP filter at about 160.
That's an aggressive HPF, is it too boomy with no eq? Maybe lower freq....How is the ZWOD set? I put mine tone 11:30, volume 12:30, gain barely on into an SL+ and love it

crankyrayhanky said:
The only EQ I did was a HP filter at about 160.
That's an aggressive HPF, is it too boomy with no eq? Maybe lower freq....How is the ZWOD set? I put mine tone 11:30, volume 12:30, gain barely on into an SL+ and love it

The ZWOD is set for volume:max, gain:eek:ff, tone:11:30.

I tend to favor chunk over crunch, but still like to get a good blend of both. But this track seems too crunchy, so I'm gonna mess with the EQ.

You're right about the HPF, I should lower it a little. I set it higher to see if the bass would be a little more defined and present. I don't think it's possible to be boomy with the ZWOD...LOL.

What actually sounds fantastic with the SL+ is a Rangemaster circuit treble booster like a Keeley Java Boost. Run this in front of a transparent overdrive like a TS808 or even that Dano TOD either set to pretty low gain into the SL+. I'm running the SL+ gain at noon, and the bass @ noon, mid @ 1:30, treble @ noon. Java Boost on full range, tone maxed, level unity. If you're using actives like Duncan Blackouts or an EMG 81, roll back the volume to about 7 or 8.

The tone is fat and like a chainsaw. If you're running a JB or other passive HB you may not have to roll back the volume. They ran the JMP 2203s like this back in the 80s. It's a great rhythm tone. Lead tone? kick on the TS808.

You've got to roll back the volume knob on the guitar a little bit otherwise you'll overload the transistor and get more clipping there than you'd want.

yeah
the bass track either needs to be lowered or re-eq d not to be so boomy

otherwise sounds great!

Oh and I'm not talking about buying more stuff "to make the Randall work". The amp is what it is. The SL+ has a lot more gain on tap than the JCM800 and JMPs did. I was talking about getting a particular tone and how it was done. There are just certain things that a germanium transistor circuit does that a preamp module alone does not.

I own this Rangemaster clone. After I'd found that Tony Iommi used a Dalls Rangemaster into his Laney, I thought I'd found "the mojo". But that's another story...

It takes some time getting used to this. When I first got it, I was actually a bit disappointed with its sound, of course, this was into my SS practice amp (where I knew it wasn't supposed to go...)

You should get a nice bit of body and sizzle if you (unlike me) remember it is designed to go into a TUBE amp.

After some time and playing and tweaking and knowing how to use it, I am actually much happier with it than I thought I'd ever be:

Throbak Electronics stRange Master

The tune is good. The Zakk Wylde overdrive is sick. I picked one up last week and I am glad I did. It blew my Ts9 outa the water. I put it in front of the SL+ and it was Heaven. The again the next day my Randall RM20 head fried go figure.

Dirtdog said:
The tune is good. The Zakk Wylde overdrive is sick. I picked one up last week and I am glad I did. It blew my Ts9 outa the water. I put it in front of the SL+ and it was Heaven. The again the next day my Randall RM20 head fried go figure.

Ouch! That sucks! Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the reply.

Dirtdog said:

Ouch! That sucks! Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the reply.