REVEALED!! Mystery Module!! First one made!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SALVAGED said:
You guys are gonna freak when ya find out what it is!! :lol:

Boy, I sure called this one!!! This happens on EVERY forum I've mentioned liking a... ahem... CRATE... *gasp* :lol:

And by the way... I'm perfectly fine with some people not liking the module, as I'm really enjoying it, regardless. With more practice, I'm hoping to get better recording techniques down... so I guess... be patient? :lol:

Oh, and where can I get this pignose module?? :shock: I can't find it in my Sears catalog... :lol:

SALVAGED said:
SALVAGED said:
You guys are gonna freak when ya find out what it is!! :lol:

Boy, I sure called this one!!! This happens on EVERY forum I've mentioned liking a... ahem... CRATE... *gasp* :lol:

And by the way... I'm perfectly fine with some people not liking the module, as I'm really enjoying it, regardless. With more practice, I'm hoping to get better recording techniques down... so I guess... be patient? :lol:

Oh, and where can I get this pignose module?? :shock: I can't find it in my Sears catalog... :lol:

I dont think it was becasue it is a Crate that is got slammed..but I have had similar issues whrn I mention crate or krank....but I have gotten tones of praise from my live tone when I used both amps.......Havent used my MTS rig live yet though.......

>>

<<

Matt, you been tryin to smoke catnip again? :p Mike DID say he'd like to hear another clip with less mi pre clipping, etc.

Chill guys! :D It should be a given that all opinions end with an "IMO", whether it is actually stated or not.

I personally dig the tone, however I can see where others may find it unfavorable :)

To me it sounds a bit like the mic was too straight on the speaker and the treble was set high.. lead tone sounded good though. I think it might be a bit unfair to throw it out completely based on one clip and the poster's preference for how he likes his EQ settings. I'm more of a boosted tones type of guy as i find it records smoother and tightens things up.

Kapo_Polenton said:
To me it sounds a bit like the mic was too straight on the speaker and the treble was set high.. lead tone sounded good though. I think it might be a bit unfair to throw it out completely based on one clip and the poster's preference for how he likes his EQ settings. I'm more of a boosted tones type of guy as i find it records smoother and tightens things up.

I'm definitely open to suggestions! I'm, by no means, an expert at recording techniques... Do you have a particular mic you'd suggest?

By the way, the lead tone was a Marshall JMP-1...

SALVAGED said:
I'm definitely open to suggestions! I'm, by no means, an expert at recording techniques... Do you have a particular mic you'd suggest?

By the way, the lead tone was a Marshall JMP-1...

Was the JMP-1 direct or mic'd? What audio interface, mic preamp, microphone and DAW are you using? Did you use that same signal chain for both the JMP-1 and the Crate?

Kapo_Polenton said:
I'm more of a boosted tones type of guy as i find it records smoother and tightens things up.

No offense, but if you need a pedal of any type to get the tone you're wanting from every amp you use, there's an issue in your signal path.

If you need a pedal to "tighten up" your sound, the bass and density are set too high. It's possible (though unlikely) that the mic placed in the wrong spot or it could be any number of issues.

Speaker, speaker cabinet, guitar, pickups, strings, mic preamp, audio interface and microphone (not to mention placement) are all integral in capturing a great tone.

Don't listen to the sound coming out of your amp and cab in the recording room: Listen to what your studio monitors are telling you. That's the number one issue with inexperienced home recordings-guys tend to dial in their amps in the room, when in reality, the amp needs to be dialed in while sitting in the control room. Live and recording are not the same.

While recording is a science, it's not rocket science. Good luck!

Mike P said:
Was the JMP-1 direct or mic'd? What audio interface, mic preamp, microphone and DAW are you using? Did you use that same signal chain for both the JMP-1 and the Crate?

The JMP-1 was mic'd, but I'm not sure what all was used. For the Crate track, I listed the signal chain on the first post, on page 1. I know I need to crank the amp up & turn down the mic pre (it was clipping). I literally only had 30-40 minutes to track it... and it was really late (neighbors). I'm using Ableton...

Mike P said:
Don't listen to the sound coming out of your amp and cab in the recording room: Listen to what your studio monitors are telling you. That's the number one issue with inexperienced home recordings-guys tend to dial in their amps in the room, when in reality, the amp needs to be dialed in while sitting in the control room.

hmmm... good tip... I'll give that a shot. I've always tried the opposite... but I'm (self-admitingly) one of the inexperienced guys you're mentioning! :lol:

Shinozoku said:
>>

<<

Matt, you been tryin to smoke catnip again? :p Mike DID say he'd like to hear another clip with less mi pre clipping, etc.

Chill guys! :D It should be a given that all opinions end with an "IMO", whether it is actually stated or not.

I personally dig the tone, however I can see where others may find it unfavorable :)

No catnip....Just annoyed truthfully...He DID say he'd like to hear another clip with less mic preamp clipping AFTER he said it was the worst module he's ever heard, stock or modded...It was backpedaling...
Why subject himself to more if it's the worst? He said he stands by his statements...So why even want more?

It's not a big deal...We all have our opinions...His just seemed a bit overboard from one sample...I don't question his comments as much as his motivation to use such harsh words...

Had the phrase "one of the worst" been used, I wouldn't have a problem...Just calling it as I see it...

SALVAGED said:
Mike P said:

The JMP-1 was mic'd, but I'm not sure what all was used. For the Crate track, I listed the signal chain on the first post, on page 1. I know I need to crank the amp up & turn down the mic pre (it was clipping). I literally only had 30-40 minutes to track it... and it was really late (neighbors). I'm using Ableton...

Which audio interface and which preamp?

I wouldn't advise turning the amp's volume up. A master volume setting of three will generally suffice.

You don't want to record a signal higher than -10db. Digital has enormous headroom and you want to take advantage of that headroom. So if anything, turn the amp down and the preamp up.

I agree, it DID come off a bit harsh... but it kinda rolled off my back, cuz I know I like the module quite a bit, regardless of what anyone thinks about it (good or bad).

I just try to remember why I'm here... I'm just a regular guy, who is having a good time with these cool mods... I'm certainly not a pro-studio owner with golden ears. I just wanted to throw out a few quick pics & a quick soundclip, to share.... to participate in the forum (as I'm still sorta new here).

If I was REALLY trying to squeeze out the BEST tone (from any amp), I certainly would've spent more time learning how. Here's a cheesy anology... I write for fun, in my spare time, and a university professor grades my short sci-fi story as a thesis on quantum physics & flunks me... but I'm not even signed up for the class. :lol:

Come to think of it... if this was a photography forum, I'm sure my quick photos of the module would be "the worst ever" too! :lol: But, my soundclip was intended to do the same as the photos... to just "show off my new toy", as someone else put it. I wasn't trying to get world-class pro-recorded tone, OR gallery-quality photos... :lol: Just trying to participate in all the fun...

SuperMatt.jpg

SALVAGED said:
I agree, it DID come off a bit harsh... but it kinda rolled off my back, cuz I know I like the module quite a bit, regardless of what anyone thinks about it (good or bad).

I just try to remember why I'm here... I'm just a regular guy, who is having a good time with these cool mods... I'm certainly not a pro-studio owner with golden ears. I just wanted to throw out a few quick pics & a quick soundclip, to share.... to participate in the forum (as I'm still sorta new here).

If I was REALLY trying to squeeze out the BEST tone (from any amp), I certainly would've spent more time learning how. Here's a cheesy anology... I write for fun, in my spare time, and a university professor grades my short sci-fi story as a thesis on quantum physics & flunks me... but I'm not even signed up for the class. :lol:

Come to think of it... if this was a photography forum, I'm sure my quick photos of the module would be "the worst ever" too! :lol: But, my soundclip was intended to do the same as the photos... to just "show off my new toy", as someone else put it. I wasn't trying to get world-class pro-recorded tone, OR gallery-quality photos... :lol: Just trying to participate in all the fun...

Hey Salvaged...if you're liking the mod, thats all that matters. Of course some may not like it but thats fine....If opinions are added with constructive feedback, its all good and I think that's what Matt is trying to say (with a twist or two lol) - but parts of this thread were ridiculous and crossed the line IMO. I would simply ignore some of the comments here and enjoy your module. You should expect some varying opinions when you post clips here and even some feedback on how to improve the sound but you should not have to listen to some of the arrogant crap that's been posted. Congrats on your new mod, enjoy it!

rblyn said:
Hey Salvaged...if you're liking the mod, thats all that matters. Of course some may not like it but thats fine....If opinions are added with constructive feedback, its all good and I think that's what Matt is trying to say (with a twist or two lol) - but parts of this thread were ridiculous and crossed the line IMO. I would simply ignore some of the comments here and enjoy your module. You should expect some varying opinions when you post clips here and even some feedback on how to improve the sound but you should not have to listen to some of the arrogant crap that's been posted. Congrats on your new mod, enjoy it!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks, man! 8)

Captain MTS said:
Just making sure everyone is playing nice....Continue....

Hey Captain MTS!!! Can you sign my module for me? It needs rescued first though... I found a note, saying it was kidnapped & tied up on the train tracks, next to some studio on Hollywood Blvd... I don't know what to do!

Somebody please provide a "proof of life" photo of my module, so I will know if it's ok... pleeeeaaase?

:lol: