REVEALED!! Mystery Module!! First one made!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a couple hours this afternoon running the preamp of an old Crate combo I dusted off yesterday through the FX return of a Mesa Roadster. It was... interesting. :D

You know, I get all kinds of flak for stating what I'm about to state but I heard it, so prepare yourselves:

That is probably THE worst tone I've ever heard from an MTS module, modded or modified.

Granted, I'm sitting in a tuned room with massive treatment and $5k monitors but regardless, that was terrible.

It was buzzy, bright, lacked depth, bottom and most importantly, tone. I've heard solid state amps direct into a console that sounded less buzzy and nasty.

The playing, outside of being ahead of the beat in a few places, was cool, especially the solo section! But that's unimportant in the grand scheme of things for a buyer.

If that's what a Crate Blue sounded like, kudos! Otherwise, I'd rather use a dreaded amp sim. Or something else, altogether.

Sorry, again.

alowerdeep said:
cool that someone thought enough if the BV to have a module made...they are very underrated....
I've always liked the Blue Voodoo... 8)

JKD said:
The rhythm tone sounded...well, really lo-fi...not enjoyable to me at all...but the lead really popped. 8)
Hey! To each, his own, right? The lead was actually NOT the Blu JuJu module... it was another amp that usually gets slammed... JMP-1.

iekobrid said:
I spent a couple hours this afternoon running the preamp of an old Crate combo I dusted off yesterday through the FX return of a Mesa Roadster. It was... interesting. :D
That's cool that you got the ol' Crate out for a spin! :D

Mike P said:
That is probably THE worst tone I've ever heard from an MTS module, modded or modified.
Granted, I'm sitting in a tuned room with massive treatment and $5k monitors but regardless, that was terrible.
If that's what a Crate Blue sounded like, kudos! Otherwise, I'd rather use a dreaded amp sim. Or something else, altogether.
Sorry, again.
Snob. :lol: Thanks for your honesty though. I'll have to spend more time on the next clip, to redeem the module. :wink:

Mike P said:
You know, I get all kinds of flak for stating what I'm about to state but I heard it, so prepare yourselves:

It was buzzy, bright, lacked depth, bottom and most importantly, tone. I've heard solid state amps direct into a console that sounded less buzzy and nasty.

I'm not in a $50k studio, but the least I can state through my $10 PoS headphones, is that something else besides the module sounds like it's being overdriven

Meh it still beats Mantas' guitar sound on Venom records (Needs moar chorus! :wink: )

Nightdare said:
something else besides the module sounds like it's being overdriven

Yeah, the mic pre was clipping a lot, cuz I wasn't able to turn the amp up very loud. The next clip should be a lot better. I wouldn't want to strain Mike's $5gazillion speakers more than I already have!! :lol:

Mike P said:

The playing, outside of being ahead of the beat in a few places, was cool, especially the solo section! But that's unimportant in the grand scheme of things for a buyer.

Sorry, again.

Well, I gotta say something too...I respect Mike P and his work...In all honesty, I admire his success in publishing as I do the same but on a smaller scale...I know how hard you have to work to get where he is...We've had arguments here before and this is just another...But c'mon Mike...Your statements are too much here...I call BS...

BullShit.jpg

Since you are calling it the worst MTS mod ever- two tone snob things need addressing...

1. You often mention how expensive (with $$$ figures) or massive your setup is...Kinda like "how could anything sound bad on my setup?" WTF does that have to do with anything? I'm sure you know cheaper gear can be as functional...Why give monetary value of yours unless you are attempting to elevate your opinion?

2. You stated your opinion after the reveal...Had it been revealed as something rare and expensive, not only would you have heard the original amp, you would have been there when it was completed with a bunch of famous people...Then given recording tips to properly showcase said amp...

The only other amp setup I've kept for anything since MTS is my Crate Blue Voodoo stack...It's modded by Trace at Voodoo Amps...I really like it....I took the Crate logo off and had the shells re-done...Now tone snobs approach me after shows when i use it and say how much they liked the tone...When I finally tell them it's a Crate, they start to hate on it or pick it apart...This sounds familiar here...

I have nothing to do with this module so there's no personal involvement...I just find it a bit ridiculous to call a module the worst MTS mod based on one track of a module and amp you are unfamiliar with...I mean it's 1 track...You can tell what the mod sounds like from that? Could I could record your fave mod thru a telephone and have you play it back over your 5k monitors and you would still hear greatness? It's one guy's interpretation of it...Your statement is too harsh without hearing more or being a little more open-minded...

There's that youtube guy Ola that does amp comparisons that makes every amp sound almost the same- I'm sure he could do the same with BV...It's the recording, settings, guitar, platform, everything- I know you know that...No module can be properly evaluated after one listen to single person's interpretation...Do you get a better idea? Of course...

One last question, could YOU make this module sound great in a clip? I'm gonna try....I'd be happy to send it to you as well...

And this has nothing to do with the OP's recording...I liked it!

Rant over....

Sorry,
Mattfig

Ya know... Rob & I talked about how this module could only be properly introduced as a mystery module... being a Crate clone, and all. I think it's awesome that it was getting guessed as much more expensive amps, before anyone knew what it was. 8)

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the module, I like it a lot.. and I'm very glad I went ahead and asked Rob to create it for me. 8)

SALVAGED said:
Ya know... Rob & I talked about how this module could only be properly introduced as a mystery module... being a Crate clone, and all. I think it's awesome that it was getting guessed as much more expensive amps, before anyone knew what it was. 8)

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the module, I like it a lot.. and I'm very glad I went ahead and asked Rob to create it for me. 8)

That's the bottom line... :D

SALVAGED said:
Snob. :lol: Thanks for your honesty though. I'll have to spend more time on the next clip, to redeem the module. :wink:

Your playing was great, Dude! I just don't care for that buzzy, airy, chainsaw sound. For all I know, it sounds different in your room and the mic wasn't placed in properly or maybe that's exactly what the module sounds like.

But I'd love to hear another clip! :D

Mattfig said:
Mike P said:

Sorry, again.

Well, I gotta say something too...I respect Mike P and his work...In all honesty, I admire his success in publishing as I do the same but on a smaller scale...I know how hard you have to work to get where he is...We've had arguments here before and this is just another...But c'mon Mike...Your statements are too much here...I call BS...

BullShit.jpg

Since you are calling it the worst MTS mod ever- two tone snob things need addressing...

1. You often mention how expensive (with $$$ figures) or massive your setup is...Kinda like "how could anything sound bad on my setup?" WTF does that have to do with anything? I'm sure you know cheaper gear can be as functional...Why give monetary value of yours unless you are attempting to elevate your opinion?

2. You stated your opinion after the reveal...Had it been revealed as something rare and expensive, not only would you have heard the original amp, you would have been there when it was completed with a bunch of famous people...Then given recording tips to properly showcase said amp...

The only other amp setup I've kept for anything since MTS is my Crate Blue Voodoo stack...It's modded by Trace at Voodoo Amps...I really like it....I took the Crate logo off and had the shells re-done...Now tone snobs approach me after shows when i use it and say how much they liked the tone...When I finally tell them it's a Crate, they start to hate on it or pick it apart...This sounds familiar here...

I have nothing to do with this module so there's no personal involvement...I just find it a bit ridiculous to call a module the worst MTS mod based on one track of a module and amp you are unfamiliar with...I mean it's 1 track...You can tell what the mod sounds like from that? Could I could record your fave mod thru a telephone and have you play it back over your 5k monitors and you would still hear greatness? It's one guy's interpretation of it...Your statement is too harsh without hearing more or being a little more open-minded...

There's that youtube guy Ola that does amp comparisons that makes every amp sound almost the same- I'm sure he could do the same with BV...It's the recording, settings, guitar, platform, everything- I know you know that...No module can be properly evaluated after one listen to single person's interpretation...Do you get a better idea? Of course...

One last question, could YOU make this module sound great in a clip? I'm gonna try....I'd be happy to send it to you as well...

Rant over....

Sorry,
Mattfig

Matt, I didn't like the sound and for all I know, it has nothing to do with the recording.

I think it's more than a little unfair that people can only make positive comments about modules, new or old. I didn't criticize the player nor did I criticize the recording - just the sound of the module.

Maybe I'm different from you, but I don't care for every single amp or module that's ever been built and sold on this planet. There are plenty of amps that I think are downright terrible sounding, yet people buy them.

Furthermore, your assumption in Point 2 is downright unfair and nasty: I commented on the clip when I heard it for first time, which was last night. Your comments are completely uncalled for.

And the bottom line is that I think it's unfair if comments that aren't glowing and positive about clips posted in this forum are met with resistance and mockery.

Sometimes, amps just sound like ****.

Mike P said:
Mattfig said:
Mike P said:

Sorry, again.

BullShit.jpg

Rant over....

Sorry,
Mattfig

Matt, I didn't like the sound and for all I know, it has nothing to do with the recording.

I think it's more than a little unfair that people can only make positive comments about modules, new or old. I didn't criticize the player nor did I criticize the recording - just the sound of the module.

Maybe I'm different from you, but I don't care for every single amp or module that's ever been built and sold on this planet. There are plenty of amps that I think are downright terrible sounding, yet people buy them.

Furthermore, your assumption in Point 2 is downright unfair and nasty: I commented on the clip when I heard it for first time, which was last night. Your comments are completely uncalled for.

And the bottom line is that I think it's unfair if comments that aren't glowing and positive about clips posted in this forum are met with resistance and mockery.

Sometimes, amps just sound like s*&t.

All fine and good...I tend to look similarly on situations when someone posts that a mod is the greatest thing they've ever heard....How? Same goes for worst...I only reacted strongly as your statements are bold and a little presumptuous...I don't think anyone can possibly "know" a module or amp from a single recording...You may have not heard enough to merit looking into it more....That's cool....But to say anything extreme like the "worst" carries the stench of trolling...

lots of good points here, also lots of edge

Yes, the solo kicks ***, but now I see that wasn't the module
The rhythm guitars do not sound good...I'm thinking it was the mic preamp and mic positioning more than anything, but who knows?

I think Mike P's comments are refreshingly honest, yet a bit harsh. The comments to me only reflect the clip, it can't be an indictment of the module, but there's no other data at this point, so there it is

I'll give the modder the benefit of the doubt, because his Plexi and MarkX are as good as anything else I have played in the mts series..besides , maybe he did nail the Crate and it just so happened it's an inferior tone (?) IDK

crankyrayhanky said:

The rhythm guitars do not sound good...I'm thinking it was the mic preamp and mic positioning more than anything, but who knows?

I think Mike P's comments are refreshingly honest, yet a bit harsh. The comments to me only reflect the clip, it can't be an indictment of the module, but there's no other data at this point, so there it is

I'll give the modder the benefit of the doubt, because his Plexi and MarkX are as good as anything else I have played in the mts series..besides , maybe he did nail the Crate and it just so happened it's an inferior tone (?) IDK

Just to reiterate, I made no mention of the modder and had only praise for the player. And to be fair, I've never played through said amp before and for all I know, the module sounds exactly like the amp.

But either way, I didn't care for that sound and stand by my comments.

Mike P said:
crankyrayhanky said:

Just to reiterate, I made no mention of the modder and had only praise for the player. And to be fair, I've never played through said amp before and for all I know, the module sounds exactly like the amp.

But either way, I didn't care for that sound and stand by my comments.

So this mod sounds worse than a Gorilla, Pignose, Rogue, etc...?

At least the modder can get a slogan outta it...I think "worse than a Gorilla, Pignose, Rogue, etc" would be funny...

Mattfig said:

At least the modder can get a slogan outta it...I think "worse than a Gorilla, Pignose, Rogue, etc" would be funny...

I haven't played through a Pignose in decades but I actually think they're pretty cool and usable. They have a strong midrange presence and a "retro" vibe, so I guess the answer is yes.

:lol:

I don't think I've heard or played through a Gorilla since maybe 1984 or so but I recall thinking they were way cooler than I expected just from looking at it. And FTR, I've never played through a Rogue, nor can I remember even seeing one, so I can't comment.

And as Ray mentioned, Rob's work is pretty bad ***. The Clean module clips I've heard are nothing short of awesome. Jace put up some Tweed clips that were impressive. Your clips showcase his other modules very well.

So in the end, this may just be a case of me not liking the original Crate amp.

I don't get what Mike is supposed to base his opinion of a guitar tone on other than the only known recording of said tone. I don't see any of the people who said it sounded great being chastised for leaping to a conclusion based on the same limited information.

As for "You often mention how expensive (with $$$ figures) or massive your setup is...Kinda like "how could anything sound bad on my setup?" WTF does that have to do with anything?" -- high end studio monitors are meant to highlight flaws, all the better to identify and correct them. I took the $5k monitors comment as "that sounded bad, but hey I'm listening on speakers that make most things sound bad, so.. grain of salt...". :)

Mike P said:
Mattfig said:

I haven't played through a Pignose in decades but I actually think they're pretty cool and usable. They have a strong midrange presence and a "retro" vibe, so I guess the answer is yes.

:lol:

I don't think I've heard or played through a Gorilla since maybe 1984 or so but I recall thinking they were way cooler than I expected just from looking at it. And FTR, I've never played through a Rogue, nor can I remember even seeing one, so I can't comment.

And as Ray mentioned, Rob's work is pretty bad ***. The Clean module clips I've heard are nothing short of awesome. Jace put up some Tweed clips that were impressive. Your clips showcase his other modules very well.

So in the end, this may just be a case of me not liking the original Crate amp.

OK, didn't expect that answer...Point Plas! :lol:

iekobrid said:
As for "You often mention how expensive (with $$$ figures) or massive your setup is...Kinda like "how could anything sound bad on my setup?" WTF does that have to do with anything?" -- high end studio monitors are meant to highlight flaws, all the better to identify and correct them. I took the $5k monitors comment as "that sounded bad, but hey I'm listening on speakers that make most things sound bad, so.. grain of salt...". :)

The reason why I mention that I'm in a tuned and treated room with high end monitors is that I want people to know that I'm not forming my opinion based on a laptop speakers, ear buds, computer speakers, etc.

I've heard modules recorded by people in this forum in less than a professional setting, yet I can still get the gist of the module and whether or not it would work for me.

And without revealing too much about our working relationship, I can verify that my room and monitors have been essential to finalizing versions of the MK22, Phish and other Sacred Grooves modules because frequencies are revealed here that aren't necessarily revealed in an untreated room.

That said, I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone with those comments and my apologies to those I may have offended. I'd venture to guess that 99% of the guys here in this forum (who are all tone nuts, just like me) would hear the same things I hear when it comes to guitar tone in this room.

Good lord....Far be it for someone to have an unfavorable opinion about something on here...seems that most just want positive feedback..and we all do for our work understandably,but we all hear things differently....It is what it is....I didnt think it was the worst I have heard,the recording and the guitarwork wasnt terrible or great,just a guy at home wanting to show off his new toy....I just saw the post and was curious since it was a mystery module...just seems like the guy was pretty excited about his new module and the fact that he had one made that no one has yet..and that's pretty cool to me......but when you post things on here you leave yourself open to criticism from everyone for whatever reason...weather you feel it is valid or not.....I could see maybe the poster getting a little upset if anyone should...which he doesnt.....but I cannot see why others are reacting to it...there are a couple of other issues hat should be addressed on the forum in my opinion rather than debating over someone's interpretation of tone.....seems kind of trivial to me....whether you thnk the guy was out of line or not is irrelevant and just causes uncalled for drama...its not going to change an opininion and only further alienates other members..anyways....