New Tubes for modules

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowardm

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Blackface and SL+ (DF modded) and want to buy an Ultra XL. Let's assume all three modules have no tubes whatsoever and so I'm buying a new set of of tubes for each module (2 tubes each, 6 total). I'm not looking to spend more than $15-20 a tube (definitely not over 20). I know next to nothing about tubes, and find it frustrating picking them out.

Blackface - with the 12AX7s I think it's a little more gritty than I like. I like a nice full sound with a very small amount of grit. I don't want a flubby bass, but I like it to have a decent thump to it (as opposed to honk or twang).

For the Ultra XL and SL+ (remember it's DF modded to have a little more gain and nicer bass). I was thinking all out 12AX7s for this. I'm open to suggestions or variations on the 12AX7s, but I'd also like some direction in brand. I like tones like that on Muse's second album (Origin of Symmetry), Thrice's Fire album, Breaking Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars' song "Oblivion", and stuff like that. I may find that I get tones more like some of those off of the UltraXL, all the same this should give you an idea of what direction I'm going for. I want the SL+ to be very Marshall and DSL, but not all scooped on the the mids. Clear highs and rich lows, not flubby but all around balls-awesome. I want the UltraXL to be real heavy and rich like the Ultra channel of the H&K Switchblade or something like that.

Blackface: JAN Phillip 5751 and Tungsol 12AX7 (or Mullard 12AT7 if you can afford it)

SL+: Shuguang 12AX7 8th or 9th generation, or a Penta Labs 7025F, Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, Penta labs 12AX7, or Penta Labs 12AX7M mullard reissue. All of them are pretty much the same thing; Doug at doug's tubes recommended the HG+ or 12AX7M above the rest. For the second tube, go with the Tung-Sol 12AX7.

Ultra XL: Pretty much the same thing with the SL+. I'm looking into them for my 1087 and Ultra Lead, and hopefully they do well. I was asking about tubes a while back, and this is what i was suggested.

I would also suggest a JAN Phillips 5751 in the PI position, and a Tung-sol 12AX7 in the V1. I hear this makes a big difference. Once i get the money, i'm going to try it as well.

There might be a better option, but this is what i was told; maybe it will help you too. Send Doug at doug's tubes a email and see what he suggests.

http://dougstubes.com/

Good Luck.

Thanks for the help there. Thought about a 12AT7 or something like that. Any other suggestions?

I think I'm going to go for straight 12AX7s for the UltraXL and SL+. Probably EH or something like that. I'm open to suggestions.

cowardm said:
Thanks for the help there. Thought about a 12AT7 or something like that. Any other suggestions?

I think I'm going to go for straight 12AX7s for the UltraXL and SL+. Probably EH or something like that. I'm open to suggestions.
Personal experience with EH's has caused me to come to the conclusion that there must be something better out there. The Tung-sol's and JAN's will likely sound better than the EH's. The EH's are like "average" tubes. They seem to be mainly used for stock tubes. They sound "ok" but by spending a little bit more, you will get something that sounds better. You are better off with the Shuguang/Penta's or Tung-sols, imo. Here is a review of the Tung-sol and EH from UG:

Roc8995 said:
Tung-Sol 12AX7:
These are excellent tubes. They sound very balanced and open. They are especially good in the microphonics department. DO NOT use them in a cathode follower stage! They will die. If you don't know if your amp has a cathode follower stage, ask before you put a tung-sol in.

E-H 12AX7:
These are decent tubes that seem to last a while. They're a little smoother than the Tung-sol. They will exhibit a small treble spike in some amps.

The Shuguang's/Penta's are great for Marshall modules like the SL+. They should sound good in the UXL as well; they are great for hi gain.

Where do you plan on buying the tubes? I recommend either The Tube Depot or Doug's Tubes. The Tube Depot usually has the lowest prices, but Doug has some brands that the Tube Depot doesn't have.

Good Luck.

For the Blackface I want almost no dirt, so I think I'm going with the Jan Phillips 5751 and the Jan Phillips 12AT7WC (assuming the WC doesn't mean anything too different from the 12AT7).

Here's the whole thing:
Blackface:
Jan Phillips 5751 ? $20 ? TubeDepot
Jan Phillips 12AT7WC - $14

SL+
Tung-Sol 12AX7 - $15 ? Doug?s Tubes
Penta 12AX7M - $22 ? Doug?s Tubes

UltraXL
JJ 12AX7 (ECC83S) ? already own
Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 - $10 ? Tube Depot

Total $81

cowardm said:
For the Blackface I want almost no dirt, so I think I'm going with the Jan Phillips 5751 and the Jan Phillips 12AT7WC (assuming the WC doesn't mean anything too different from the 12AT7).

I'll look into the other brands.

Here's the whole thing:
Blackface:
Jan Phillips 5751 ? $20 ? TubeDepot
Jan Phillips 12AT7WC - $14

SL+
Tung-Sol 12AX7 - $15 ? Doug?s Tubes
Penta 12AX7M - $22 ? Doug?s Tubes

UltraXL
JJ 12AX7 (ECC83S) ? already own
Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 - $10 ? Tube Depot

Total $81
Sounds like a good plan. A JAN 5751 in the PI will really help with that as well. It should control the gain a bit, as well as reduce the noise. But i also read that the JAN 12AT7 in the PI is also a good choice; I read that Fender Blackface's usually use it in the PI.

The WC is actually $10 on the tube depot.

Maybe look into the Shuguang 8th or 9th gen. instead of the EH. It is about the same price, but should give you better tone.

I'd drop a 1980 JAN GE 5751 in the PI. They are great there, and only about $20.

The rest is similar to what I'm running right now:

Deluxe: it kinda bites with humbuckers so I makes my choice to play it with singles, and found a ANOS Mullard 12AX7 in V1 and a JJ 12AX7S in V2 gives a nice sound with the Mustang, and hopefully with the G&L Legacy that I'll have on the 23rd. The ANOS Mullard came out of an amp I bought used -- there were two in there -- I sold that amp and pulled the good tubes out and stuck Sovtek 12AX7s in it.

SL+: this is a stock 2008 model. I've got a Penta 12AX7M in V1 and a JJ 12AX7 HG that was in the Grail. Nice JCM800 tone.

Grail: V1 = Penta 7025 and a Shuguang Gen 8 12AX7.

In the rest of the amp I'm running:

V7 (input) = Ruby 12AX7AC5HG+ (Shuguang)
V6 (loop) = JJ 12AX7S (stock)
V5 (PI) = JAN GE 5751 (1967) -- the 1980 is in the 5150 II.

cowardm said:
How do those brands compare to GT and Mesa tubes?
If i'm not mistaken, i think GT and Mesa are just re-branded tubes. JAN will be way better than either. I would go with what you have posted above, except the Shuguang instead of the EH. Then either the JAN 5751 or 12AT7WC in the PI, and if you have the money, a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the V1 of the amp.

If you're looking at the module with the controls in front of you, which 12AX7 comes first in the gain stage circuit....The left or right one?? :roll: