No kidding about the boost!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awake77

Reaction score
Holy crap - I just picked up a BBE Green Screamer and boosted my RM100 (gain 0, level on 5, Tone 6) - what a difference. The amp got a LOT tighter and more fluid. I couple weeks ago I made a post about the stock XTC module feeling kinda stiff - this took care of that! Made the XTC and Recto modules SO much clearer too, even with more gain. Crazy!

Boosting is fun......I should change my name to boost-o-holic.....my Visual Sounds Route 808 is pretty much the first thing my guitar sees in my amp setups...... :twisted:

Its amazing how well the RM's handle a boost. It stays very stable, even with the high gain modules.

OD boost is awesome! I love the edge

I bet people who don't boost may be cranking the gain on the pedal and hear a distorted mess...either that or they just play so loud that it's not as necessary after the Power tube saturates.

droptrd said:
Its amazing how well the RM's handle a boost. It stays very stable, even with the high gain modules.

Seems like they actually need a hotter signal up front to sound their best?

crankyrayhanky said:

I bet people who don't boost may be cranking the gain on the pedal and hear a distorted mess...either that or they just play so loud that it's not as necessary after the Power tube saturates.
Ive seen people try to run FULL ON DISTORTION into the preamps. It gets pretty messy. I use a very slight overdrive with a boosted output going into my 1086 (in low gain mode) and it sounds better and has more gain than by itself.

droptrd said:
crankyrayhanky said:

Ive seen people try to run FULL ON DISTORTION into the preamps. It gets pretty messy. I use a very slight overdrive with a boosted output going into my 1086 (in low gain mode) and it sounds better and has more gain than by itself.

Yeah that's the key......it's HOW you use it.....for me it's more the feel the pedal gives....but also for clarity yes indeed......people overlook the benefit constantly...

when you guys use the boost to you just keep it on and forget about it and use it with all channels throughout a gig all night? Or do you only use it with certain modules?

I'll leave it on for most crunch riffs, but get it off for most cleans...though I'll stomp it on for dirty clean or leave it off during certain crunch parts too- no hard and fast rules, always a pedal dance

I love the boost. The modules sound really vintage without the boost, Like the Sl+ sounds really cool on its own but boosted it just kills, same with the 1086, good on its own but way better boosted.

i have a TS-9 tube screamer i use as a clean boost and lead boost. It colors my tone when used on a high gain channel. What Boost pedals do you recommend?

veets987 said:
i have a TS-9 tube screamer i use as a clean boost and lead boost. It colors my tone when used on a high gain channel. What Boost pedals do you recommend?
Im using a Rat. Im happy with it. I switch it off sometimes. but most of the time it stays on. The sound is thicker. I dont know if thats because of the boost or pedal coloration, but i like it.

I was so anti boost at first it was crazy. wouldnt even consider putting in front of the amp. Till I tried it out at a music store. BLOWN away on how it tightend everything up. No need to blast the gain on the module only to have it sound sloppy. I dont even use the gain on the pedal but crank the level up high. If used in moderation its a GREAT PIECE Of GEAR that I cant believe i went years without using. But some modules take the boost better than others! :wink:

yeah I hear all of you...BUT...
are you guys using sick amounts of distortion?
Because imho the modules (Sl,XTC, 1086 etc) already can produce way more distortion than you really need for lots of things.
And if you boost you signale even beofre that..well....thats gotta be a noisy-ultra distorted situation.
Am I right? Or you guys all using EMGs, anyway...thereby ALREADY pushing the inputs alot?
Jus saying.

..and to see what Im into check out my myspace site and hear the clips. Im not into clean, in case you were wondering. Hear the clips at
myspace.com/georgebarrysolo

GtrGeorge! said:
Because imho the modules (Sl,XTC, 1086 etc) already can produce way more distortion than you really need for lots of things.
And if you boost you signale even beofre that..well....thats gotta be a noisy-ultra distorted situation.
Am I right? Or you guys all using EMGs, anyway...thereby ALREADY pushing the inputs alot?
Jus saying.

..and to see what Im into check out my myspace site and hear the clips. Im not into clean, in case you were wondering. Hear the clips at

Yeah but if you actually read the thread you might get what we are using a boost for.....it's not about gain in the sense of more......I use only 1/3 module gain on my Recto......the OD pedal causes a different feel....we're not turning our modules to 10 gain and then adding on an overdrive..... :roll: :lol:

shred-o-holic said:
GtrGeorge! said:
Jus saying.

Yeah but if you actually read the thread you might get what we are using a boost for.....it's not about gain in the sense of more......I use only 1/3 module gain on my Recto......the OD pedal causes a different feel....we're not turning our modules to 10 gain and then adding on an overdrive..... :roll: :lol:

Exactly. I use my modded ts-9 for a boost on all my modules and i use emg 81/85. I'm using a Grail, Brahma and XTC at the mo. On the grail the gain is only on 12 o'clock and that boost pedal just pushes it into an amazing sound. For my Brahma i have the gain at 3/4s but because its not a high gain module it just gives it a bit more gain and the sound is crystal clear. As with the XTC the gain is only on a quarter otherwise it does feedback it just adds something special a module doesn;t have on its own. On the pedal its all about gain on 0 level on 10 and tone to taste.
Try it...you might like it :wink:

veets987 said:
what do you guys think of the Fulltone Fulldrive mosfet 2?

I played that a lot- it's a smoother tone, coolfor leads, good for boosting Strats- however, not the best for an edgy hi gain modern rock metal pedal

Quality product, no doubt

You dont have to start your post with an insult.
What is somewhat clean to one person is kinda dirty to another..and thats why I asked the question.
yeah, I DID read the post.
But obviously YOU didnt understand what I was really asking.

...in a forum where most people are cool..you are really standing out.