No kidding about the boost!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GtrGeorge! said:
You dont have to start your post with an insult.
What is somewhat clean to one person is kinda dirty to another..and thats why I asked the question.
yeah, I DID read the post.
But obviously YOU didnt understand what I was really asking.

...in a forum where most people are cool..you are really standing out.

You talkin ah me? Hey this internetz is serious biznezz.......if you really don't know or lack understanding of how boosting is done then no need to get mad about it......just read and learn..... :lol:

If you would have read the thread then sorry you wouldn't ask such a question.....but.......yes alot of us who play hard rock and metal boost our amps....as do alot recording artists and producers these days.....one such producer...Andy Sneap is one who comes to mind.....he's done a number of successful cd's using this idea......as many others have also used re-amping for example.......you came off a little assuming and pompous with your post.....but if you honestly didn't know......well you didn't know.......so now you know.....capish? :wink: :lol:

I used to actually have a closed mind to pedals for years ..but I discovered boosting by reading about this stuff myself and found it to be quite useful...music has no rules and it's simply another tool to accomplish a different sound and feel.... :wink:

its you who isnt answering the question.
No wonder your music sounds the way it does.

GtrGeorge! said:
its you who isnt answering the question.
No wonder your music sounds the way it does.

Wow you seem to want to get into an internet brawl or something..... :? :lol:

I thought I was pretty concise in my explanation..do you really not understand the concept? Let me walk you through this. Alot of rock and metal players set their amps up at a lower gain level and then use an overdrive pedal to push the amp. It adds a different feel to the amp, it can actually add clarity, depth, and dynamics. Some guys do this....it can sound great.......some prefer not to boost......did you get that there George? As far as my music goes.......that's great that you took the time to listen to it. Think it sucks? GREAT!!! :lol: :lol: I listened to your stuff too.......didn't like it at all...but who really cares.....I wouldn't normally take the low road and bash someone's playing unless I was wanting to start some lame/pathetic fight......is that what you're wanting to do here? C'mon it's OK.......go ahead and say it......"I hate Metal!!" You can do it... :lol: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

On a POSITIVE note here......The ultimate KILLER tone may be a Stevie Ray or Eric Johnson tone to someone where Lamb of God is the Ultimate Killer tone for another. The best thing about this amp is that it can do both easily.
I preffer the Heavier stuff but also dig the Plexi Crunch when the time is right.
I never bash any music(Cept Disco and Rap) :wink:
Rock on Brothers!!!

Mailman1971 said:
On a POSITIVE note here......The ultimate KILLER tone may be a Stevie Ray or Eric Johnson tone to someone where Lamb of God is the Ultimate Killer tone for another. The best thing about this amp is that it can do both easily.
I preffer the Heavier stuff but also dig the Plexi Crunch when the time is right.
Rock on Brothers!!!
Well said Brother!!!

Mailman1971 said:
Rock on Brothers!!!

Coincidentally, Stevie Ray used a boost. I think most of us know that he wasn't high gain.

Isnt Lynch using a Cusak Screamer these days? I remember something or another about that pedal. I have a modded Boss SD-1 myself that brings the "spark" into my tone.

SacredGroove said:
Mailman1971 said:
Rock on Brothers!!!

Coincidentally, Stevie Ray used a boost. I think most of us know that he wasn't high gain.

Why yes he did......well played sir.......well played.. 8)

Mailman1971 said:
Rock on Brothers!!!

You know it man.....all good tones you mentioned......to me if it's good it's good.....I like everything from The Carpenters to Necrophagist myself.. 8) :lol:

droptrd said:
SacredGroove said:
crankyrayhanky said:
What kind of pedal did SRV use? Tube Screamer?

Yep, TS808 and variations of it from time to time, like a TS9.
What amp? Plexi?

I'd have to look that up, but I wanna say he used Fender and an occasional Marshall. All combos, I believe, and at times he chained certain amps together for another type of boost.

I googled:

In the backline are two of Stevie?s favorite amps: the blackface 1967 Super Reverb and the tweed 1959 Bassman. Stevie used Super Reverbs in addition to his Vibroverbs throughout his career. The Bassman figured prominently in the sessions for In Step

Now........does SRV seem like he is using OD to be so OVER THE TOP?
No Sir! The OD boost is TOOL that is GREAT if used properly. 8)
'Nuff said!" :D

crankyrayhanky said:
I googled:

In the backline are two of Stevie?s favorite amps: the blackface 1967 Super Reverb and the tweed 1959 Bassman. Stevie used Super Reverbs in addition to his Vibroverbs throughout his career. The Bassman figured prominently in the sessions for In Step

Nice! I was thinking someone would come through with this info.

Yep, GL has been using a Cusack Screamer lateley. Or maybe he's changed pedals by now? :p

The best hard-rock and metal tone I have ever had is with either a Cusack Screamer or a Xotic BB preamp pushing my gain modules. These pedals are now core to my setup because that is how it sounds best to me.

For the sounds I want I doubt there would be many amps out there that I would NOT boost.

I use pretty high out put pick ups on my Paul, just the stock that come in the classic but they are pretty brutal, it's hard to get much of a clean out of them... I've tried boosting my grail and mr scary, it just sounds to fizzy to me, even with my pedal at noon and gain totally off it's just crazy how much gain those already have. The Brahma on the other hand LOVESSS the boost omg that thing about 10 oclock with a boost on the paul, is sex tone.