old organ tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
So I was at my in-laws and my father-in-law was tearing about my mother-in-laws organ because she didn't want it anymore. They couldn't sell it or even find some one to haul it out of the basement. I saw a box of tubes and was told that I could have them because they were going in the garbage.

There were about 50 Electrohome 12AX7's - made in Holland and 4 Electrohome 6CA7/EL34 -made in GT. Britain.

I pulled the 6L6's out of my RM100 and tried the Electrohome power tubes in a band situation last night. I honestly couldn't tell much difference and was actually a little disappointed...maybe it's just my weak ears. The guys I jam with didn't think anything was different either.

I was just doing some reading and the Electrohome 12AX7's are supposed to make good guitar preamp tubes so I'll have to give them a try when I get a chance.

JD said:
So I was at my in-laws and my father-in-law was tearing about my mother-in-laws organ because she didn't want it anymore. They couldn't sell it or even find some one to haul it out of the basement. I saw a box of tubes and was told that I could have them because they were going in the garbage.

There were about 50 Electrohome 12AX7's - made in Holland and 4 Electrohome 6CA7/EL34 -made in GT. Britain.

I pulled the 6L6's out of my RM100 and tried the Electrohome power tubes in a band situation last night. I honestly couldn't tell much difference and was actually a little disappointed...maybe it's just my weak ears. The guys I jam with didn't think anything was different either.

I was just doing some reading and the Electrohome 12AX7's are supposed to make good guitar preamp tubes so I'll have to give them a try when I get a chance.

If they were unused and well kept- they might be cool...But like Julia said, sounds like they're just old....Too bad, probably an exiting score and a very disappointing result....Good on you to try 'em...

Who knows, maybe the 12AX7s are awesome...If you know anyone with a tube tester- it may be a good idea to see where they are actually at as far as remaining life...

Those tubes are Amperex if they were made in Holland. A very sought after vintage tube if they are still in good shape.

IMHO they are the BEST pre-amp tubes you can get - again if they are still in good shape. Try them out. Ideally you should test them but tube testers are not always easy to find.

You will hear the most difference in cleaner modules but they still sound great gained up. They should be very balanced, warm sounding and have a more complex/3D tone to them.

If they test strong you can probably get $20 to $40 for each one on e-bay.

I haven't had a chance to try the pre-amp tubes yet but apparently the organ was re-tubed many years ago and she didn't play it much after that.
Can tubes get old just sitting around?

If well kept and unused, tubes stay as good as new. Thus the term "NOS".

I have about 100 12AX7's in my collection, many of them being sought after vintage tubes. I can tell you from experience that many of those tubes are best served in vintage amps like my Traynor YBA-1. Modern amp designs like the MTS gear are much different than simpler vintage circuits designed around those tubes when they were new.