problem with my sl+

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chesterburmingham

Reaction score
ok so i was rocking the rm100 head with my sl+ module (which is my fave module out of the ones i have) and i turned it off, came back like 20 minutes later and when i turned it back on the module started to not work. it has no gain AT ALL. and it keeps make this weird sound (KIND of like when you unplug the cable from the guitar and randomly touch things for a second... best way i can think to describe it) and i was hoping someone can help me find out what this problem is
if it's just a busted transistor or something, or if i need to replace the module completely
i replaced the tubes and it didn't help
i put the module in a different slot and it still didn't help
so it's a problem with the preamp itself, i just don't have any idea what it could be
any thoughts?

Might be dirty connectors on the module. I'd try that next, also preamp tubes on the module. Power tubes can't be the problem if other modules work ok.

Pete

i've already replaced the preamp tubes with a different module i have
tubes don't seem to be the issue at all

i'll try cleaning the connectors now. but the problem happened when the module was IN the amp. so i'm thinkng that's probably not the issue

it's not like i took it out and it didn't work when i put it back in, i turned the amp off. and when i came back to it 20 minutes later and turned the amp back on the module didn't work properly

chesterburmingham said:
drty connectors = not the problem
May still not be making a good connection. I've seen this in a few modules - they will work fine then suddenly cut out. You don't need to be taking the module in and out all the time for this to happen.

How did you clean the connectors? Have you tried putting the module in the slot but not tightening the screws and moving it slightly to see if there is any change in what you're getting?

Pete

i pretty much just took a dry cloth to it. wasn't sure how else to clean it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3t0gwyDi8s
this should help give you a better idea of what's happening.

chesterburmingham said:
i pretty much just took a dry cloth to it. wasn't sure how else to clean it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3t0gwyDi8s
this should help give you a better idea of what's happening.

Not so much. Anyways, use a pencil eraser on the contacts on the module to clean them. Or you can use deoxit. Could have a bad pot also, try turning the knobs on your modules while it's on too, or try spraying contact cleaner or deoxit in the pots. DO NOT use WD40 to clean electrical components.

Pete

i tried the eraser and it didn't help. i tried loosening the screws and having it in slightly like you said, and that's not doing anything at all. the pots all seem to do their job. the switch doesn't do anything at all though. just figured that out now
is it possible that it could just be a busted switch? would that have this much of an effect on everything?

ok i FINALLY got around to trying contact spray on the module and it had no effect at all. it's still doing the exact same thing... are there any other suggestions? and pete if i send it to you, would it be possible to have it fixed and modded with the jcm upgrade at the same time? or is it just simply unfixable?