RM4 + RT2/50 rig is in the house, now the questions begin

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twenty4_7spy

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

After some serious shipping damage-induced trauma (bent rack ears on BOTH pieces, now resolved, the Bay is a gambling house) I am getting down to using my new-to-me rig:

2005 '59 LP Historic + RM4 + RT2/50 + (2) Avatar 412 "specials"

At this time I only have one mod, a silver-face Plexi. My question is this: The tone is excellent, but I expected more gain. My Plexi as it is now I would consider a low(er)-gain mod. Put some mild OD in front and it wakes up, the tone is great (think early ZZ), but (on it's own) it does not seem to have the drive/sustain that I have heard on samples posted here and elsewhere.

It's funny, the breakup starts pretty early (10 o-clock) but never really builds. That said, I don't think anything is "broken." So, being new to this, does this situation sound normal?

Or are the pre-black stripe Plexi mods different somehow (with less gain)? If so, anyone know what to change - or send it to Bruce for alteration? I need more mods to compare with, darnit.

Oh God, I can tell I am going to become a module slut . . .

Desperately seeking a single-channel Egnater SL++ . . .

As always, TYIA!

Matt
Glendale, AZ

Plexi's aren't high gain amps. Slam that sucker with a tube screamer and you can get some really sweet tones out of it.

Yep, sounds about right for a Plexi module. It's a good one to have in position 2 or 3. I agree with Ned, I hit mine with a Reverend OD and flip on the neck pick up and Yessur ... I LIKE IT! Don't send it off to Bruce just yet. Get some others to surround it with and I think you'll be amazed at how you will feel armed and ready for anything with say ... a Black Face or DLX for clean, and a SL+ or Brown for heavier stuff and then a high gain, XTC or 1086. You will rule the sonic world.

Nice set up BTW with the Les Paul and Avatar cabs. G12H30, Green Backs or Vintage 30?

3 Mile, ned,

Thanks for the responses, I am happy to hear that this is what the Plexi is supposed to sound like.

And I love my LP. I had a 70s Deluxe 'Burst during the 80s, but sold it for no good reason I can remember. It's a shame, I had a bunch of stuff, all sold, that's now "vintage." Crazy. But the Historic shop does nice work, as they should for the $$$$ Gibson gets these days. I have no buyer's remorse, that's for sure.

I bought one cab with G12-30Hs, and one with Greenbacks. The difference in tone is surprising. I think I am going to mix them up, two speakers in each cab to spread the tone.

I will snap a few pics and post under the Rigs category tonight.

Matt

As others have said, your Plexi sounds right. I use the XTC or Mr. Scary modules, mainly XTC, for my distortion sounds. Thats without any external overdrive units, just the module itself. I would recommend one of those two modules if you're after a higher gain sound without hitting it with a pedal.
And yes, you will become addicted to getting the various modules :)