RM50 effects loop issue

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtatemyballs

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just plugged in the parallel effects loop in my RM 50 for the first time, and the sound becomes very fizzy and distorted. Even with all the effects off and running the clean module.....sounds horrible.

Could this just be a tube issue?

Any advice appreciated.

Try spraying some deoxit or other contact cleaner in the jacks, and insert and remove a plug a few times from each jack

^^ that.. And what are you running in the loop? The loop is line level so instrument level pedals cause all sorts of issues sometimes.

hmmmm. trying to run an EHX memory boy delay and a rocktron reverb pedal with a visual sound visual volume pedal in the loop also.

I ran everything through the series loop, and the sound was clean. I just don't like how serial loops behave.

I'm gonna swap out the 12AX7's in the parallel loop and see if that helps.

Is there a workaround so I can use my instrument level effects in the parallel loop? Some kind of buffer or looper pedal? If I can't use it, it will make my life very difficult since I rely heavily on those pedals in 1 band I am in.

Anyone else having this issue, here is a possible solution

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ebtech-lls-2-xlr-line-level-shifter-with-xlr

It converts line to instrument level then back again. Passive device. Might be just what I need.

Still gonna change out the tubes for the effects loop first.

also, it is the SERIES loop that is giving me problems. That's the one I need to work. The parellel loop works fine and sounds clean, but does not do what I need an effects loop to do.

Sorry for the confusion....just realized I was all backwards.

The loop levels are at pro gear output levels and not good for most pedals that expect instrument level input. The Ebtech is a fine solution and has been discussed on this forum countless times for this issue. It's fairly transparent and a good solution for the price point. I think it's fine for live use.

Thanks, Rob. Looks like it will take a few more bucks to get my new rig where I want it.