SL2 to SL2X Mod...any other useful Upgrades?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrous12

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the SL2 to SL2X mod on my SL2. Compared to some of the JF modules I have the SL2 seems kinda small and boxy. I expect the SL2x mod to change the highs and low, but I am wondering if there are any other upgrades I can do to liven up the module over all. Like any other cap upgrades to a better quality component. If so which position(s) and keep the same value or change it to something else?

It looks like you are going down the same path I went through in the last couple years. I got a MOD 50 with an SL2 to start, the SL2 was disappointing (didn't sound high-gain marshall or 80's for me) so I was looking at mods to do myself.

I converted my SL2 to an SL2X and was very happy with the results!
Personally, after you change it to an SL2X, upgrade the capacitors to SOZO mustards or something high end for more tonal upgrade.

If you still aren't happy then get it professionally modded by Jaded Faith, Salvation Mods or Voodoo to get the tones you are after. It is a learning experience, but it takes a lot of time and resources to randomly swapping components to hopefully find the tone you are after. Have a pro do it and pay attention to which components were changed and that might give you a clue for future self-mods.

Keep in mind that you have a DUAL channel module, and those are expensive are more rare, so if you sell it, it will cost you much more to get it back. My advice is to keep the dual SL2, do the SL2X mod + capacitor upgrade, and then send it to a pro to get it further modified after that. It is REALLY nice to have a dual channel module when playing with a band where you need a medium gain and high gain with one sound, etc.

Reply or PM me with any further questions

Thanks man. I do have some questions. When I have the module in front of me and collect my thoughts I will hit you up with a PM.

Thanks so much for the help!