Speaker selection for RM100C

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgblue

Reaction score
I am not sure what is in it, but these speakers have the longest "throw" of any set I've ever had.
If I don't sit right in line with the speaker, the tone is seriously different.
If I move say 8-10" either direction, I lose the same tone.

Is it the speakers?
What should I change to in order to "open up" the sound a bit?

You have the combo? if you can find an amp stand put the amp on that and angle it up.

What you are hearing dead in front of the speaker is the "kill zone" that beams into the audience and causes people like me to leave if you're too loud or have too many highs dialed in. You don't want to be in that zone, nor do you want that hitting your audience.

I refer you to the low budget blues gig where the lead guitarist has a Twin and plays a Strat and has the amp on the floor and dials his tone while standing with his ears completely off axis of the speakers. It'll sound good to him but the beam will hit the first few rows at ear level.

Another way is to turn your amp around or put a plexiglass shield in front of the amp so that the beam doesn't hit you or your audience, then dial in your tone.

So save your money. You don't need new speakers. What you're hearing happens with every single speaker cabinet or combo amp made.

Sound is quite fascinating. Take a mixing room for example. Everyone tells you to treat the room. That's a good idea. You get it treated. Still no matter how good the treatment is when you move your head 6" to either side or front to back it can completely change the character of what you're hearing.

Try some Weber Beam Blockers. They make a 4" and 5" dome. I've got the 4" domes in my Crate Palomino combo, and it sounds great. I've also got 5" domes on the V30's mounted in the top of my ADA split cabs. I put the 5" domes there after reading user feedback that the 4" didn't do too much for the V30's and that 5" domes were just right; although I haven't actually used the ADA's outside of my house or in a band environment yet, so I can't tell you the effect of the 5" domes in a live setting.

Thanks, I like the beam blocker idea.
I have the amp on a stand and if I sit down, it is at face level.
I think the beam blocker idea is perfect as the amp is in the room next to the bedroom, where my wifes hides to grade papers and tests for school, so it will help with the beam, "hitting the wall".
I'll probably buy 3 and use one with the RM50C I just got today.

On a side note, this combo is the first amp in which this effect was "seriously pronounced". All other amps are definitely brighter in line with the amp, but they didn't seem to have that "narrow focused beam" of sound like the 100C does. And the tome didn't change with an 8-10" difference in lateral movement.

You can also go the cheap route and put a piece of duct tap on your grill cloth dead center of your speaker ala SRV ..This is what i have been doing for 20 plus years now...

It's probably because the speakers are G1275's in that combo (IIRC). Those speakers, from what I have heard and experienced myself, have a very powerful killzone.