SYN2 - Bypass & Mute

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luedmo

Reaction score
Hello !

I have read the manual 3 times about Bypass & Mute and am a bit confused as it seems to contradict itself...

Pressing the CHSTORE button cycles through the 4 sounds and the 5th press of the button results in a sort of Mute, not a Bypass (my instrument signal bypassing the SYN2, sort of like a DI). By "Sort of Mute" what I mean is that there is still signal leaking through.

Under MIDI, using CC#60 has the same result and if I set the 5th MIDI pedal to CC#64 (as suggested by the Manual) I get another variation of a sort of Mute, basically the 4th Preset but very quiet, and with the red Bypass light not switched on.

So Neither a Bypass nor a Mute. I would really like to have both. Herre's my question:
- Is my SYN2 faulty, and if not is there a mod to get a proper Bypass?

Ideally, in a live context the signal would continue to flow through even if the unit is powered off, stops working.

Thanks for any help!
:Lu

The Bypass is essentially a mute if you are not using the Syn2 in conjunction with an amp or another preamp. If you don't have anything connected you are bypassing it to an open circuit which is the same as muting it. It's a preamp not a guitar pedal.

If you are getting signal that is probably noise or cross talk.

Many Thanks Elric,

(and sorry for the delay in reply)

OK, i now understand. You are right - I am using Sytn2 as a guitar pedal (and it's very good!)

However, I did try the 4 cable method (as recommended by support) but sadly it seems my amps (Lazy J40 combos) are the wrong type of SND/RTN (i.e. as per the Manual - a series vs. parallel issue)

Do you know of any schematics out there for SYN2? I would next like to try a mod so Bypass results in a DI signal passing through. I've searched the Forum and was unable to find anything, and out there in Google not much else...

My reason is that I use digital FX units (Eventide) so the SYN2 is used as a guitar pedal (exactly as you say), os as to avoid comb-filtering. The alternative - to set each preset to 100% wet is extremely finicky

Many thanks again and best wishes,

:Lu

I really think no matter what sort of routing or rigging one has in mind, having the SYN5 footswitch for the SYN2 is just essential. When using the proper ins/outs it makes sure all modules bypass except for the one selected and the 5th position mute kills all. I prefer having a separate stereo power amp (SYN50/50) which gives me tons of options using stereo feeds. I have my modulation section on the open SYN2 loop and the two main outs go to my delay/reverb section then to the power amp. I've never messed with parallel processing or total dry/wet but it's not hard to rig up. Far as mod'ing the Synergy stuff, one could try and contact Stephen Fryette as he would know and he seems to love obscure questions.

Do you know of any schematics out there for SYN2? I would next like to try a mod so Bypass results in a DI signal passing through.
I think if you come out of the effects send on the Syn2 instead of the main out, it will send the input signal through when you bypass. I have a Salvation SM2 in addition to my Syn2 and the SM2 works like that by default, I think. If you come out of the main outs on the Syn2, you're going through more circuitry that includes the sag and master volume. I prefer not to do that and rely on each channel's volume, which sounds better to me. Seems like it would be more of a hassle balancing the channels but it's really not because I'm going to do that anyway and prefer to use the volume on my power amp as my master volume.

I think if you come out of the effects send on the Syn2 instead of the main out, it will send the input signal through when you bypass. I have a Salvation SM2 in addition to my Syn2 and the SM2 works like that by default, I think. If you come out of the main outs on the Syn2, you're going through more circuitry that includes the sag and master volume. I prefer not to do that and rely on each channel's volume, which sounds better to me. Seems like it would be more of a hassle balancing the channels but it's really not because I'm going to do that anyway and prefer to use the volume on my power amp as my master volume.
Yeah it’s cool how much I/O the Syn2 has for a 1U unit. There’s a lot of potential ways to hook it up with the amp connections, loop, and main in/outs. You can configure it however it suits as long as you match levels and there is some control for those as well.

Thing is also about Synergy all the IO's are true signal they don't alter the signal which is just too cool. I don't know how many mega modeler and mega units I experienced where the loops just change stuff, pedals don't sound the same and so on. The loops are not true signal pass. Whatever genius stuff Synergy is doing it is just amazing engineering design.

I have one question. I am telling this question in This thread. I have question about Uk49s Lottery That How to Play and Participate in Uk49s Lottery. Is It Legit To Play or not. I am very confused. If You and Anyone has information about This Please tell me below....

hey Richard
thanks so much, i’ll try that and report back
:)

Something to consider is that the SAG effect actually helps some modules of the lower gain class to just sound better. Since it compresses or softens the attack a bit, probably not something you want on an uber gain module. At best I run my SAG no more than a 1/4 on if that when I use it but that little bit helps some modules sound better. Another thing is the issue of master volume and power amp volumes. Cranking the power amp level will give you more tone all around than a master volume with preamp set high and power amp low. Just saying....as w all stuff everyone has to arrive at their own sense of what sounds and feels better playing to them. Someone just showed that effect again using a Katana amp cranking the power amp master up and the preamp down, sounded just better even on that modeler amp. That is something I have known for ages, an amp with a master volume will sound better with the master cranked verses the preamp cranked. You're getting more headroom and wattage out of the poweramp making it push more. Using the dock master vol allows the module channels to be set a little higher which can also help them work to their optimum performance as well. Anyway just my 2 cents on my rig.

If you want to “true bypass” the Syn-2 just run a patch cable between “to amp in” and “from amp fx send”.