tube screamer

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must agree the polytuner is the best hands down.The MXR ZW44 however is not.I've tried it everywhich way and it barely does anything.I got it to use for leads boosting the volume up which it doesn't do at allI don't know if I can return it or what to do with it.

walshinator666 said:
I must agree the polytuner is the best hands down.The MXR ZW44 however is not.I've tried it everywhich way and it barely does anything.I got it to use for leads boosting the volume up which it doesn't do at allI don't know if I can return it or what to do with it.

An OD will not boost volume over an already overdriven channel (maybe slightly...very slightly), but they are used in general to tighten up the sound and add harmonic detail. It should at least do that. If you wanted a level boost, buy an MXR 10 bander, jack up the level, and keep a flat EQ so as not to alter your tone.

walshinator666 said:

If you want a volume boost, then put the OD in the serial loop and adjust the OD to taste. But, with that pedal you'll likely need a line level shifter. You're probably better off with a MXR Microamp or similar clean boost pedal.

You could always take the blanket off your amp and get a BBE Sonic Maximizer to use as a volume and tone boost....That's what I do and it works great for me...Good luck! Drop it in the loop and boost away!

bbe, blanket? i dare u to run the bbe in the parrallel and crank the effects knob.

When you say the overdrive does nothing - What are your settings on the RM4 and modules etc ?...

maximus1 said:
bbe, blanket? i dare u to run the bbe in the parrallel and crank the effects knob.

Do you double dog dare me??? I'll do it man....I'm kooky like that....Don't push me! :)

I'll try it later this weekend...I'm rocking the Crate Blue Voodoo (Voodoo Amps Modded) tonight so I'll definitely need the BBE...

I like the sound of my amp,all I wanted was to boost the volume while playing leads.Right now i use modual 4 as my lead channel with the volume level higher than the other moduals.I want to be able to lead with all moduals when I play live!

walshinator666 said:
I like the sound of my amp,all I wanted was to boost the volume while playing leads.Right now i use modual 4 as my lead channel with the volume level higher than the other moduals.I want to be able to lead with all moduals when I play live!

If you want a volume boost, then put the OD in the serial loop and adjust the OD to taste. But, with that pedal you'll likely need a line level shifter. You're probably better off with a MXR Microamp or similar clean boost pedal.

not sure how safe it was but i had bbe a long time ago and hooked it up like that looking for a more saturated feel and i definetley got one. the amp would move the speakers literally inches. it was way over the top but while it was an interesting find i ended up just using an overdrive outfront

walshinator666 said:
...The MXR ZW44 however is not.I've tried it everywhich way and it barely does anything.I got it to use for leads boosting the volume up which it doesn't do at allI don't know if I can return it or what to do with it.
IMHO, You need a boost pedal. An OD pedal will drive your preamp section harder to give you more tightness and/or gain. You should always use the OD pedal first in your chain. OD's are very interactive creatures. It will convert your signal into a low impedance signal and help it to drive the rest of your effects chain without signal degradation. If you need an actual increase in volume, you might want to use a boost pedal in the effects loop. That way the tone that you have dialed in will be amplified right before the power section. I use a G Major2 and program duplicate patches with different output levels to get a lead boost. One issue you may still have is with power tube distortion. Sweet power tube distortion. If you don't mind spending about $150, I would check out Creation Audio Labs MK4.23 Boost. Up to +24db of boost!! It is what Michael Wagener uses at his WireWorld Studio. Its on my X-mas list, I just got other hobbies to pay for right now. Great pedal, a bunch of applications, Made in the USA, boutique quality, etc...
"It's the perfect pedal." - Premier Guitar Magazine

But don't take my word for it. Here is the link, bro:
http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

I've been eyeing up the Creation Labs volume boost...must it be in the loop? Will it be ok in front? I hate the extra work/mess of the 4 cable method

found my answer in the link

Use the MK.4.23 as a straight forward boost pushing your amp, as a gain tool in front of your pedals, as a volume boost after your pedals or even in your effects loop on your amplifier for killer power amp boost!

One thing to keep in mind is the MK4.23 a Requires a 9v power supply (standard tip negative). No battery option. Other than that it really is a gem.
Creation audio labs also makes something called the Redeemer Circuit. It is a device that takes the high impedance signal coming from your guitar pickups and converts it into a low impedance signal that holds it's integrity over different cable lengths, effects box circuits, etc. I was impressed.
Here is a link to a really cool demo of the Redeemer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tbkwXX054
And@ Creation Audio Labs:
http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer/
Peace.
:twisted: :shock: :twisted:

though that i'd suggest a volume pedal for ur need. no one mentioned that yet.it may give u what u want? and overdrive will not if anything the little bit of compression and gain it will add will actually knock ur volume down a little and keep ur amp from moving as much air as it normally would without one. also maybe a pick up booster, i think seymour makes one

I use and recommend the Danelectro Transparent OD... really I never thought it would be this cool... I have version one and I'm sticking with it.
This is set for clean boost and is on all the time.

I also step ona BBE Green Screamer for slight dirts boost for leads and to add dirt to my clean channel for a classic rock tone.

Hmmm, I have one of those series 1 Dano TODs and wasn't impressed. I may need to take another look. Also have a 10 band KFK-1 EQ, but with so many buttons I gets distractred!

I just got a used Ibanez TS-9, modded to TS-808 by Analogman off ebay. This thing is VERY cool! With or without the dirt on. Not a lot of boost, but possibly just enough. Had it a week, still messin with it, but diggin the hell outta it.

I also use a Diaz Texas Ranger and Squareface Fuzz.

There are two versions of the TOD. The newer one has internal pots you can adjust. The first one does not. It was originally supposed to be like the Cochran "Timmy" but it's really closest to the Fulltone OCD. Best used with nothing hotter than a JTM.