Tubes...Again...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say the guitar itself is the gateway drug, which leads to more guitars, amps, pedals, pickups, cabs, speakers, tubes, modules, strings, cables, bananas, capacitors, pots, cats, dogs, kitchen sinks, etc etc etc.

Some people are lucky enough to come "full circle" and are just happy picking up something and wailing away on it. I am not one of those people. Nor would I assume any of us are really....

I recently bought a stock Top Boost module. Rather than get the soldering iron out and make the "iffy" mods suggested elsewhere in this forum, I replaced V1 with a 12AY7. Compared to a 12AX7, this puts out about 40%. The improvement in tone was significant and the Gain control is now way more manageable.

This was an easy fix and, it's easily reversible too. I would recommend having at least one 12AY7 in your tube tool box. "Life is like a box of tubes."

Graham Pearson said:
I recently bought a stock Top Boost module. Rather than get the soldering iron out and make the "iffy" mods suggested elsewhere in this forum, I replaced V1 with a 12AY7. Compared to a 12AX7, this puts out about 40%. The improvement in tone was significant and the Gain control is now way more manageable.

This was an easy fix and, it's easily reversible too. I would recommend having at least one 12AY7 in your tube tool box. "Life is like a box of tubes."

Yep, you've effectively done the low gain mod with that tube...Good move...Even if you aren't a tube brand *****, Graham makers a good point that different types of tubes can be very useful...

Yes,

I like the 12AY7 in front of a clean module, but it has a hard time keeping vol. with the other modules, 5751 excellent compromise.

speedemon said:
Yes,

I like the 12AY7 in front of a clean module, but it has a hard time keeping vol. with the other modules, 5751 excellent compromise.

Agreed....The 5751 is the best compromise for me too...If you reduce V1 too much you can push a good signal...Although I've head some interesting results using a clean boost and a 12AY7...:)

For me, the loss of gain is not a big deal. I prefer the low- to mid-gain modules and my power amp can boost the volume sufficiently for any gig we play. I've even put a 12AY7 in the V1 position of my RM4 to reduce the signal being presented to all of my modules.

I'm surprised at how much gain is available in the RM4. I'm using a stock Fender Strat so it's not like my guitar signal is especially hot.

Mattfig said:
speedemon said:
Yes,

Agreed....The 5751 is the best compromise for me too...If you reduce V1 too much you can push a good signal...Although I've head some interesting results using a clean boost and a 12AY7...:)
All good stuff! I didnt notice any volume drop using a JJ 12DW7 in V1 of my Blackface. Just great clarity. I have a gold pin one I havent tried yet. Dont know if there will be too much difference but they sure are pricey! :oops:

Does anyone have a favorite web page that lists or compares the operating characteristics of 12AX7 tubes and their equivalents, or near equivalents, like the 5751, 12AY7, 12DW7, ECC83, etc?

Graham Pearson said:
Does anyone have a favorite web page that lists or compares the operating characteristics of 12AX7 tubes and their equivalents, or near equivalents, like the 5751, 12AY7, 12DW7, ECC83, etc?
I can recommend Eurotubes.com I do have a pretty cool book by Dave Hunter about tube amps as well. I'm sure there are more sites. Anyone?