Tweed vs Topboost/Super V

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuna141

Reaction score
Does anyone have both of the the Tweed and Topboost or Super V?

I love the Tweed and the fact that it can get a nice twangy/jangly tone. I'm also thinking of getting a new module to round out my tone arsenal.

Do you think there is a significant tone difference between the Tweed and Topboost or Super V, or is a lot of tone overlap?

They're quite different, Vox vs Fender etc.

tuna141 said:
Does anyone have both of the the Tweed and Topboost or Super V?

I love the Tweed and the fact that it can get a nice twangy/jangly tone. I'm also thinking of getting a new module to round out my tone arsenal.

Do you think there is a significant tone difference between the Tweed and Topboost or Super V, or is a lot of tone overlap?

In terms of available gain between all three, starting with the most: Top Boost, Tweed, Super V.

IMHO, the Top Boost isn't very usable. It has too much gain for what it's supposed to be. The Super V is closer to a Vox, and can jangle better than your Tweed.

I have had all 3 - The Tweed and the Top Boost are different

The Tweed can get jangly but in a Fender way (which is good). I owned the Super V for a while but sold it after I picked a Top Boost and did the clean mod on it. I would describe it as more chimey than twangy. (Think of Beatles, Tom Petty, U2 etc for the Top Boost module)

Great info. Just what I needed.

Looks like I'm in the market for a Topboost (I'll mod it to lower the gain)or Super V. Thanks guys.

While I"m on the supject of tone overlap and new modules to add, I have another related question: I'm not into the real heavy music (i.e. no drop D tuning or metal for me). I realize there is some tone overlap between some of the modules, and am looking for other ideas regarding the different stock tones available to me. So far the modules I have are: Blackface, Deluxe, Tweed, Plexi, KH2, KH3, SL+, and Recto. It looks like a Topboost or Super V will be my next purchase. Do you think I have the tone spectrum just about covered? Any other modules that sound significantly different than the ones I already have (excluding heavy ones)? How about the JTM - do you think I have that tone covered with what I already have? Thanks for your advice...

IMHO - Get a Grail and Ultra XL or XTC for replacement of the KH-2 and KH-3, and Recto that you have now

I love my Super V. I have a Blackface as well. The Super V also sounds really good with the gain all the way up. It reminds me of a Hiwatt.

Yeah, I just wanted to say that the gain redux Top Boost mod is iffy but effective....You lose volume and need a big clean boost to get it back...Then it breaks up again...

The solution will arrive here any day now for Jaded Faith...He's developed a Voxless (VoxAC30/MatchlessDC30) combo that is supposed to solve the low gain volume issue as well as offer some FREAKING AMAZING new twists....I'll wait 'til it arrives to say anything more...But wow, it sounds like the clean mod of my dreams....Between the Twinface and Voxless I don't need any more cleans...Plus, many of my other modules still have clean and low gain settings too...But who am I kidding? If it's got a lot of gain on tap, I'm gonna use it!!! All of it! :lol:

Agreed on the top boost clean mod, very iffy. I had one, and the volume loss was a little disappointing. I have shipped it to jaded faith, and am now also looking forward to receiving a Voxless within a couple of weeks!

I love the Top Boost as is, makes for a great rock and roll/blues module, and when you back off your volume knob with single coil pickups, cleans up nicely. They may not have nailed a Vox with it, but it is a cool module.

Its weird:
I like the top Boost for what it is. I kinda dig it, very Ty Tabor from 2006ish.
But I REALLY,REALLY want/need /desire a Vox Top Boost
Its funyy..I have this cheesy lil Vox modeling amp,,the vox advt15 and the VoxTB setting on that is KILLER!!! For me..its inspirational.
I have a SuperV, a TopBoost..even a LoneClean and they dont do it...any recomendations?
I confess I dig all that STP/Pagey sound.
GtrGeorge

I would recommend getting your top boost modded into a voxless by jaded faith. The Voxless has absolutely become my favorite module, and you get the added versatility of a matchless dc 30 tone range. Great Vox tone, nice chimey cleans at a reasonable volume.

I don't have the Randall versions of the vox mods, but I have the Egnater VX which is more normal vox levels of gain, probably more like the Super V. I also have the Randall Tweed. I love them both equally but separately. I wouldn't say they really overlap much at all. The highs are even in different frequencies. I use them to contrast tones when recording if it is part of my post rock project. If not I use the Tweed for the more rock oriented stuff I play and the VX for the more metal stuff. I will say that the tweed takes pedals much better though. I'd say it is worth it to have both if you are into both sounds.

Part of the mod to clean the stock Top Boost is to add a 100K ohm resistor to the R7 slot. I read some complaints that this reduces the gain too much.

Basically, the 100K ohm resistor replaces an infinite resistance at R7. Has anyone tried a higher value resistor so the loss in gain is not so pronounced?

I am sure I read that the super v is not vox based at all. George says it is based on a metal front Marshall. I have the super v and it is a great mid gain type of sound. But really not AC voxy. It similar but not jangley like a real vox. As far as the super being Marshal based I hope I read that right. If I find the quote I will post it.

..George says what?
Not GtrGeorge...which George you talkin bout, willis?

About a week ago, I won a Lynch Super V on eBay. This morning, it arrived packed ONLY in a yellow padded bag. The front panel is badly bent, both panel screws are so badly bent they are unusable, neither tube was seated in its holder, and the top of one of the tubes was broken.

In an effort to salvage the module, I installed 2 fully-functioning 12AX7 tubes, but the module has a very weak and totally distorted output that is affected by neither the Gain nor the Level settings.

Although the auction mentioned that the item was used, it said the module was fully functional and did not mention that there was any damage to the module. Do you think it is reasonable if I return the module in a reinforced box, together with the remnants of the yellow padded bag, and demand a full refund?