Twinface finally arrived! Detailed comparision :(

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tbag said:
.. the first time someone has been honest about a module.
Plenty of people have said that a particular mod is not their cup of tea (just look at mister fig), but this sentence still implies you think the mod is bad.
It's a matter of taste, this mod doesn't fit yours, that sucks, but then just take Anthony up on his offer or put it in the classifieds, problem solved ;)

By the words that you're using to describe your perfect clean tone I think you should check out a Clean (stock Randall).
I think that might fit your wishes better.

m0jo said:
Tbag said:
.. the first time someone has been honest about a module.
Plenty of people have said that a particular mod is not their cup of tea (just look at mister fig), but this sentence still implies you think the mod is bad.
It's a matter of taste, this mod doesn't fit yours, that sucks, but then just take Anthony up on his offer or put it in the classifieds, problem solved ;)

By the words that you're using to describe your perfect clean tone I think you should check out a Clean (stock Randall).
I think that might fit your wishes better.

m0jo is right, sometimes you just gotta agree to disagree with a module and move on....If you don't fundamentally like a module on first impression...I say leave it for a couple days or at least hours, come back and try it again...Losta factors are involved here that are not under our control...If you still don't like it, sell it...You'll get your $$$ back in the classifieds here most likely and then you won't have to ship all the way back to EU...You may get a straight trade for a loneclean too...Salvation mods hold their value quite well...

I think the stock Clean is a great choice for you too...

Mike P said:
Nightdare said:
Even a difference in picks can solve a 'tone issue'

Which was exactly my point: There a tons of factors involved and if resorting to crap tubes solves a "tone" issue, there's more to the issue than meets the eye.

Funny then, that the issue was fixed with 'just' a tube swap
Swapping a tube has about as much change in tone as changing a pickup

Your opinion of JJ tubes are debatable and your 'point' about an issue not possible to be related to just one factor is not correct

Nightdare said:
Mike P said:
Nightdare said:
Even a difference in picks can solve a 'tone issue'

Which was exactly my point: There a tons of factors involved and if resorting to crap tubes solves a "tone" issue, there's more to the issue than meets the eye.

Funny then, that the issue was fixed with 'just' a tube swap

Your opinion of JJ tubes are debatable and your 'point' about an issue not possible to be related to just one factor is not correct

If the cheapest and worst sounding tube on the market "fixes" the tone of a $2,000.00+ amp, there are more issues at play than meets the eye.

Good luck.

Ohhh brother,

anyway, some people hear what the tube does, and some don't. it's all a mind game so gotta find what suits your ear so you can have fun and play your best.

If Anthony's module doesn't suit you, that's the way it goes sometimes; kudos to him for standing behind it. Or you can sell it here, it might take a few days. Did you pick a spouse or g/f on the 2nd or 3rd date? Did you marry the 1st chick you nailed (I guess some people do, how lucky are they!)? didn't think so.

Vacuum tubes in an amp are like anything else; one man's trash is another man's treasure. "This tube sucks, this tube is great" is subjective until you throw it on a tester and find out. Reports I have read indicate the JJ is generally well made and tests well.

Have fun!

Nightdare said:

:roll:

This is pure and utter nonsense.

Swapping a Ruby Tube with an EH or Tung Sol 12ax7 in no way, shape or form will equal the swapping of a Gibson Burstbucker Pro with a Duncan Invader or EMG 81 or a Custom Custom, etc.

I've read the original post multiple times, and have yet to find any intent to insult, so the word disrespect gets used way to easy here. :x

Tbag's already apologized to Anthony, in an attempt to remain peaceful, and yet his words are still being quoted and spun into what someone else believes Tbag is really implying. :shock:

Maybe Tbag's real crime here is that he spoke at all, rather than spoke too soon?

I think TBag did what alot of people do on other websites...they try something thats supposed to be ALL THAT..and if it doesnt hit the mark right away..they figure its a dud.
As an owner of a LoneClean I can say I honestly waited a few WEEKS before posting anything about it. I didnt bond automatically, but I had faith in what my fellow MTS crew said about it (do I place to much value in your opinions??? Nah, usually MattFig,Julia,,Sacred etc ..all have very valid views)
...and so I waited and experimented more. If you go to Salvations website he has a an audio clip of me and my LoneClean. From Clean to Dirt...(though my clip was done really quickly)..the module is really amazing. Hear it for yourself.
So sometimes it takes a while to figure a module out.
I dont think we (any of us) should jump on Tbag or anyone so quick..the beauty of our Randall amps is they can be so versatile..so many great tones are possible..and about a trillion not-so awesome tones.
It takes time to "get" a module.
George

Mike P said:
If the cheapest and worst sounding tube on the market "fixes" the tone of a $2,000.00+ amp, there are more issues at play than meets the eye.

Good luck.

Cheap has nothing to do with it and worst being according to YOU

If the $2k amp (it's beginning to look like you think anything expensive will be perfect, anything affordable trash)
has a brittle/thin/piercing top end you can't dial out I WOULD try a JJ.

You apparently would probably restring all your guitars and replace their pickups

Mike P said:

Swapping a Ruby Tube with an EH or Tung Sol 12ax7 in no way, shape or form will equal the swapping of a Gibson Burstbucker Pro with a Duncan Invader or EMG 81 or a Custom Custom, etc.

Really?

You're right, theres absolutely NO tonal or output difference in different tubes

Nightdare said:
If the $2k amp (it's beginning to look like you think anything expensive will be perfect, anything affordable trash)
has a brittle/thin/piercing top end you can't dial out I WOULD try a JJ.

If your $2000.00 amp has a brittle/thin/piercing top end, there are other issues at hand.

Nightdare said:
You apparently would probably restring all your guitars and replace their pickups.

Well, first off, I wouldn't purchase a $2000 amp with a brittle/thin/piercing top end. Secondly, I wouldn't drop $2,000 grand in hopes that a $9.95 tube would "fix" the tone. That's ridiculous.

Nightdare said:
Mike P said:

Really?

You're right, theres absolutely NO tonal or output difference in different tubes

Prove it. Go ahead and record a track with the "offending tube", then record it with the JJ.

There is VERY little difference between the various "cheap" 12ax7 tubes. If you can't dial in a great tone with a set of Ruby's or Groove Tubes or whatever, the issue isn't the tubes.

There is VERY little difference between the various "cheap" 12ax7 tubes. If you can't dial in a great tone with a set of Ruby's or Groove Tubes or whatever, the issue isn't the tubes.
Agreed

Guys i'm sorry this has spun out of control.

I also own a MarkUs, and love the module for it's markish sounds.

I am very curious about the stock Clean module, as i just usually passed it off as thinking a stock module isn't worth a second glimpse.

But after all this, i now understand that maybe discussing both sides of certain modules isn't the best for this forum. I can't help but give constructive criticism, that's how i better myself as a musician and player. I would only hope that whoever reads this does the same, every person has their own view/opinion.

Tone is so subjective and no one is right or wrong, just different, because without being different, we would all be the same and boring?!?!

I just want everyone to know, I never tried to talk this module down or of a such, I actually asked for help, and was trying to ask if I was doing something wrong, because after all, we are human, and no ones perfect...

Mike P said:
If your $2000.00 amp has a brittle/thin/piercing top end, there are other issues at hand.

Well, first off, I wouldn't purchase a $2000 amp with a brittle/thin/piercing top end. Secondly, I wouldn't drop $2,000 grand in hopes that a $9.95 tube would "fix" the tone. That's ridiculous.

Prove it. Go ahead and record a track with the "offending tube", then record it with the JJ.

I've got a Blackface that has some of those piercing highs, where trying to dial it out takes away too much top end
If I throw in a Ruby or (GASP!) JJ I have lying around, it takes off that top end while keeping clarity

I've got an SL+ (old values) that lacks some mids, if I throw in a Tung sol it adds mids but also too much sizzle,
if I throw in a JJ it also adds mids but turns the bottom to mud
grabbing that ruby it adds mids while keeping low and high end pretty much the same

I've got an Ultra lead where I can't 'up' it's presence, no matter what tube I throw in that
It remains smokey, and the only way to change it is using an added EQ
The characteristics of it's sound are too great to be changed by tubes (or guitar p'ups for that matter)

So the Blackface and SL+ 'improve' with certain tubes, they didn't sound bad to start with, but IMO the change made them sound better

The UL is where you are 100% right, nothing will change that for the better
but the other "tone issues" were -to my ears- easily corrected

There still is a difference between 'issues' and 'sounds like ****'

Jaded Faith said:
Disciple said:
audiomidijace said:
Contact Kyle at Jaded Faith

Rob :)
You read my mind! In all fairness, Kyle did do the current website. :lol:

I'm a idiot! I kept thinking....his name is Rob right? So I checked the website real quick and saw Kyle's name, who I've also dealt with. So I thought, Oh I must be wrong. Sorry Rob!!!!!! Add an extra $20 Idiot Charge for my next module! :oops:

I got a Blackface that was modded by Pete@Gigmods and it is the best clean tone that I have ever had the pleasure of playing. It just gets it done. It has a switch on it that takes it from Blackface territory and into Deluxe territory. It is smooth and chimey and can be adjusted to get great jazz tones. It does everything that I would go to Fender amp for. It sounds better than a Fender Hot Rod Deville, a '65 reissue Twin, and a Princeton combo that friends of mine own. I don't know if some of it has to do with the Vin30 speakers that are in my cab, but it was a noticable difference in clarity and midrange prescence. Very cool.

Well, I think we've learned a few things :

1 : everybody has his/her own tastes when it comes to tones.

2. That Salvation cares about making the customer happy.

3. That stock modules, like the Blackface, do indeed have some good tones in them...according to some people (I'm included in this group).

This talk about useless or bad tubes is pretty ridiculous. Bogner, and this was confirmed by Charlie at Bogner, recommends using cheap chinese tubes in all pre-amp positions in my Ecstasy. Who in the world would put a cheap $8 tube in a $3000+ amp? ME..the guy who thinks this mother sounds wicked that way. But don't take my word for it...go ask the best guitarists in the world (Vai, Satch, and others) who've used the Ecstasy if these chinese tubes are the right choice.

In my SLO100...another $3000+ amp...the best tube for me is a JJ in V1. It smoothed out and rounded out the tone on the OD nicely. I tried a "high end" Tung Sol and it sucked major balls (my opinion)...made the amp sound VERY brittle. JJ's worked best for me...better then Tung Sol, RFT, Tungsram, EH, JAN, and others.

Call me crazy, but am I the only one who's noticed that nobody (as far as I know) has asked for a module that will make them sound like Vai or Satriani? And yet, these 2 guys are probably the most revered guitarists in the world. Maybe this idea of "my tone is better than your tone" really doesn't mean much when it comes down to making great music.

I agree with guitar George,

when I first got my RM100, I thought it was pretty mediocre, we played it for a couple hours and it was like "what was I thinking?"

After reading a lot of posts here, trading all 3 modules, and getting some expensive speakers and tubes stuck in, it sounds pretty cool to me. Anyone wanna buy it...? lol

Later!

Just got my Twinface from Mattfig on Saturday. When combined with a Tube Driver, it gets the absolutely warmest violin sustain type tone I have ever heard. I'm not a Eric Johnson fan per se or know whether this nails his tone, all I know that this is a tone I've been searching for for a long long time.