Which module for Ride the Lightning tones?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapo_Polenton said:
1959 RR has caught my interest.. anywhere a fella can hear a clip of that modded module?
I think Fig has one coming soon. Ive had one. Its really cool. Very active eq. Boosted side is a great JCM800 tone. Unboosted is like a real JMP tone. The throw back of yesterdays! Good stuff. I gave a big review of it before. Search for it.

A SL+ would probably do it pretty well..but the JF1959RR?....I would have to question that..I owned one for a short time...it was a cool module,but not hot enough for that kind of music without a pedal....

alowerdeep said:
A SL+ would probably do it pretty well..but the JF1959RR?....I would have to question that..I owned one for a short time...it was a cool module,but not hot enough for that kind of music without a pedal....

Did you check out my JF 1959rr clips I posted a few days ago here on rigs and tones? Did a few ride the lightning riffs and that was in gain level of 6, seemed to handle it pretty well for me :)

Yeah..checked them out a little bit ago....Like I said before..I had a RR and it was pretty cool...just not the best module for a great Metallica tone in my opinion.....I would use it for some of the heavier 70's rock..just doesnt have a metal flavor to me......

Gotta remember the pickups and EQing used on those albums. And remember as well, there wasn't all that much gain on RTL. The SL+ if anything had TOO MUCH gain for it.

Shinozoku said:
Gotta remember the pickups and EQing used on those albums. And remember as well, there wasn't all that much gain on RTL. The SL+ if anything had TOO MUCH gain for it.

Too much would be a problem.....all you have to do is dial it back ....the voicing may be a more legitimate argument..but the SL does have that metal flavor of the classic metallica era...I just dont like using pedals/outboard gear and it doesnt make since to do so to me if there are other/better options available..but tone is subjective and it is all about what sounds good to you....

alowerdeep said:
Shinozoku said:

Too much would be a problem.....all you have to do is dial it back ....the voicing may be a more legitimate argument..but the SL does have that metal flavor of the classic metallica era...I just dont like using pedals/outboard gear and it doesnt make since to do so to me if there are other/better options available..but tone is subjective and it is all about what sounds good to you....
True :) By the way, did you have the diode clipping boost on yours?

Yeah,it did..thought it was cool.but to me it had more of that "70's" haevy/flavor to it..a little grainier than the SL.....the SL is smoother sounding to my ear..just fits the vibe better to me....